News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Bugsnapz

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 06, 2012, 03:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

My dad is an amateur wildlife photographer who takes photos mainly of insects and fungi. If anyone is interested, here's his website, and a few examples of his work  8)

http://bugsnapz.blogspot.co.uk/

bugsnapz

I posted a new one today, in fact.

brontodocus

Great photos, Mr. Smith! :) If only my attempts capturing our local insect fauna in photos were half as good... :-[
Hehe, those Nicrophorus always seem to carry blind passengers with them. Well, those mites like carrion, too. And a free lift, of course... ;D

Jetoar

beautiful images of insects  ^-^. I will share pothographs of wild life that I taken of photographs of my friends  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bugsnapz

Quote from: brontodocus on December 06, 2012, 03:56:44 PM
Great photos, Mr. Smith! :) If only my attempts capturing our local insect fauna in photos were half as good... :-[
Hehe, those Nicrophorus always seem to carry blind passengers with them. Well, those mites like carrion, too. And a free lift, of course... ;D

Thanks for those kind comments brontodocus, much appreciated. Will try to update with a new picture shortly.
AdsDad-Bugsnapz

bugsnapz

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Hehe, regarding the silverhorn caddisfly, my first thought was an adelid longhorn moth, too! :)

bugsnapz

Hop over to Bugsnapz for the latest update. If anyone can name this please let me know. No, I don't mean calling it Bob or Charly I mean the scientific name of course. Thanks, Bugsnapz Pete

AnimalToyForum

Very nice! I'm sure Dr Andre (Brontodocus) can assist with the ID  ;)

brontodocus

Thanks for your confidence! :) It's almost certainly a male Meadow Grasshopper, Chorthippus parallelus. The males are very similar to those of C. montanus and they can be easily confused with each other (good characters to separate them are the position of the transversal groove on the pronotum, the relative length of the cerci, and the number of stridulatory cusps on the hindleg's femur), but I believe the latter doesn't occur in Britain.

bugsnapz

Thanks Brotodocus, I will update this on my Bugsnapz page and have made a note of it for future reference. Much appreciated.
Bugsnapz

brontodocus

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help you out. :)

bugsnapz

New Bugsnapz picture for your pleasure.

Regards,

Bugsnapz

AnimalToyForum

Impressive longhorn beetle  :o 8)

bugsnapz

Latest Bugsnapz image. Dock Bug twins, (Coreus marginatus) enjoy.

brontodocus

Very nice! :) Looks like it's the final instar before they turn to adults. This just reminds me of an invasive species within the same family that is getting increasingly more common in Europe - only a little over a decade ago a very distinctive North American coreid was introduced to Europe, the Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis. It has also reached Great Britain a few years ago, much larger than our native coreids (up to 20 mm) and with leaf-like expansions at the hind tibiae. I even found one in our house this autumn!

bugsnapz

Here is a picture I took some time ago that shows how close you can get to some insects.

Enjoy,
Bugsnapz

AnimalToyForum

bugsnapz

Another Bugsnapz pic. A reminder of what will soon be awakening around April time. Enjoy