Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

If you had your own figure company, what figures would you have in the line?

Started by Hercules beetle, November 23, 2014, 12:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Physeter macrocephalus

I would probably focus on extinct taxa in the line in 1/40 scale dinosaurs and 1/20 scale prehistoric mammal figurines with with bases.
-Microraptor Gui
-Velociraptor Mongolienensis
-Turiasaurus Riodevensis
-Oxalaia Quilombensis
-Suchomimus Tenerenensis
-Apatosaurus Ajax
-Barosaurus Lentus
-Yutyrannus Huali
-Andrewsarchus Mongoliensis
-Amphicyon İngens
-Mammuthus:primigenius,trogontherii,meridionalis,columbi,americanum,exilis

BlueKrono

Quote from: radioactive347 on December 31, 2014, 02:36:20 AM
I would make, and I know this probably wouldn't be everyone's first choice, but I would make a hagfish. Reason being that as far as I know, there is only one hagfish figure and it's bright orange. Originality ;D

I have a hagfish toy made by Octonauts. Mine is kind of a purpley pink color, and apparently they also made it in green:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Octonauts-Rescue-Kwazii-The-Slime-Eel-Figure-2-Pack/35776639
I like turtles.

Advicot

I had some octonauts figures, as that was my favourite program growing up, I'll see if I can find any to add to my collection
Don't I take long uploading photos!

Gwangi

My company would focus on North American fishes, reptiles, and amphibians. It would also dabble with other groups too, like songbirds, and invertebrates. Rarely, but on occasion, mammals. Or other species from elsewhere too, but they wouldn't be the focus. A lineup might look something like this...

Alaskan Blackfish
Oyster Toadfish
Colorado Pikeminnow
Artic Grayling
Gilt Darter
Eastern Newt life cycle set (eggs, larvae, eft, adult)
Marbled Salamander
Chuckwalla
Blanding's Turtle
Eastern Hognose Snake
Red Warbler
Cedar Waxwing
Atlantic Bay Scallop
Velvet Ant

And then to make sure other continents were represented, maybe...
Slow Worm (UK)
Eel-tailed Catfish (Australia)
Superb Fairywren (Australia)
Golden Mole (Africa)
Peacock Bass (South America)
Bamboo Shrimp (Asia)
Thai Bamboo Rat Snake (Asia)

You get the idea.

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 19, 2021, 08:27:49 PM
Quote from: radioactive347 on December 31, 2014, 02:36:20 AM
I would make, and I know this probably wouldn't be everyone's first choice, but I would make a hagfish. Reason being that as far as I know, there is only one hagfish figure and it's bright orange. Originality ;D

I have a hagfish toy made by Octonauts. Mine is kind of a purpley pink color, and apparently they also made it in green:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Octonauts-Rescue-Kwazii-The-Slime-Eel-Figure-2-Pack/35776639

What on earth. I love that the Octonauts are including things like this. There's gonna be a mess of kids wanting to be marine biologists in ten years or so and I'm into it. Maybe I'll get to teach some of them.

@Reuben03 I would buy those.
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

Reuben03

Thank you! so would I!
imagine a set with a stonefish looking belantsea sitting on the bottom perfectly camouflaged with a Falcatus circling above or a tank with tarpon looking Chirocentrites schooling underneath a floating hadrosaur corpse.
there is so much potential because the fossil record is full of awesome fish, and fish tank toys are always fun. I wish I could get it made lol

NSD Bashe

If I ever get to that point I hope to one day produce figures of mainly deep sea life and strange plants, though I would hope to include a few other odd species as well, at least if they still lack figures by that point (or just because they're my favorite animals and only have a few figures)...

Old favorites I wouldn't mind adding my own take on would include the babirusa and the hyacinth macaw; a few others, such as the cock-of-the-rock bird, the umbrella bird, and surprisingly other very distinct birds don't seem to have any figures at this time, so I would really want to make figures of those at least.

Now for the deep sea, I would likely include my take on many of the classics such as "typical" anglerfish species, gulper eels and viperfish, though I would try to make quite distinct figures of them; however, the ones I really look forward to the idea of producing are the ones we don't see much or especially haven't seen at all in this form. 
There aren't that many figures of fangtooth or barreleye fish, only one figure I know of that exists of the double barbed angler (which is small and sticky and seemingly impossible to get)--a very iconic anglerfish, I don't know why it's so underrepresented even among its kind--as well as any number of anglerfish types such as the ghostly seadevil, fanfin, whipnose, etc...
Perhaps my favorite to produce in a way would be the completely unrepresented types of creature as the black swallower, snipe eel, the deep sea manefish, the comb jelly, deep sea siphonophore, (any number of jellyfish, especially deep water variety)...  I would honestly love to make just about every type of deep sea thing, to a reasonable degree.  Also the five lined constellation fish; even if it's considered unproven, I really want that to exist in toy form.  Or any form really.  It honestly might be one of my favorite deep sea fish and "cryptids."

Now for plants--I would produce all the classic carnivorous plants, and probably some less familiar ones as well--though I especially want to make a few types of sundew, they really are very little represented, if at all.  I think I know of only one actual toy that might be a sundew plant of some sort.  Sundew is also one of my favorite of the carnivorous plants, possibly more than the classic Venus flytrap (which does have a few figures).  Also some others that no one seems to produce like the butterworts--those are actually pretty cool looking as well in their own way, even if not as visibly "ferocious" as the more popular ones.  Though I wouldn't stick to purely carnivorous plants but any number of unusual specimens (the more unusual the better).  Perhaps my favorite of the "weird plants" is one that I don't think has ever been represented at all (though it may have partly inspired some inaccurate depictions of monster plants) the Hydnora africana.  I need this to exist in figure form, and if no one else does it I will.  Eventually.  If I can...  This insane looking plant is literally too cool not to have a figure made of it.

So... I guess that's it.  I mean it's not, but - it could go on indefinitely so...  If I ever get to make mass produced figures of these things I'll let you all know of course.  That's the dream anyway.  (I'll be honest this is probably my favorite question the forum has asked)

GojiraGuy1954

A line of toys sold in sets of 4 or so that show different reconstructions of extinct taxa over the years, beginning with Megalosaurus and Iguanodon

EpicRaptorMan

Just obscure species, but then again, I'd probably go bankrupt for not releasing three zebras, lions, and elephants every year.

Cachalot

I would make among others a sperm whale bull, cow and calf to scale with each other.
Thar She Blows!

NSD Bashe

Now why haven't they ever made a sarcastic fringehead or a pyrosome into figures?  Might have to add those to the list..