Author Topic: "Horn Shark" (Port Jackson Shark) (K&M ~ Wild Republic Sharks Tube)  (Read 4691 times)

stargatedalek

• View Profile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Jackson_shark
The Port Jackson shark (Heterodontus portusjacksoni) is a nocturnal, oviparous (egg laying) type of bullhead shark of the family Heterodontidae, found in the coastal region of southern Australia, including the waters off Port Jackson. It has a large, blunt head with prominent forehead ridges and dark brown harness-like markings on a lighter grey-brown body, and can grow up to 1.67 metres (5.5 ft) long

This is one of my two favorites from the set, amongst the relatively common/typical species it really stands out. The model is a bit warped, most noticeable in the face, but its less of an issue than with most of the others in the set. It also doesn't suffer from the same "weak" paint app that seems to befall most of the others.

Approximate scale 1:12.5 - 1:23
I don't usually include a human figure for scale but I figured I'd give it a shot, 御坂 美琴 [Misaka Mikoto] 1:14.6
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 12:28:01 PM by stargatedalek »

widukind

• Andreas
    • View Profile
Re: Horn Shark (K&M ~ Wild Republic Sharks Tube)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
I also like this Port-Jackson shark from K&M. I hope i find one day the K&M Carribian Reef shark  :)

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:50:16 PM »
the set came with a blacktip reef shark, could that be it?

sbell

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 06:53:20 PM »

No, the Caribbean Reef shark is from the earlier bin series "exotic sharks".

I hope the photo works right.

There was also a brilliant little swell shark, a whale shark, a white shark, a lemon shark and a great hammerhead. I no longer have the full set, but until the Colorata and Kaiyodo sharks it was probably the best set of little sharks. Yes, even compared to the Play Visions set (although the diversity of the latter is better).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:58:52 PM by sbell »

widukind

• Andreas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »

No, the Caribbean Reef shark is from the earlier bin series "exotic sharks".

I hope the photo works right.

There was also a brilliant little swell shark, a whale shark, a white shark, a lemon shark and a great hammerhead. I no longer have the full set, but until the Colorata and Kaiyodo sharks it was probably the best set of little sharks. Yes, even compared to the Play Visions set (although the diversity of the latter is better).

Thank you, the swell shark was also on my search list but i found him :)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »
A nice figure, this was the main reason for me to get the K&M Sharks Tube.  :) As widukind already indicated, although the wikipedia quote mentions Heterodontus francisci the black marks on the sides of the figure make it more likely it's meant to be the Port Jackson Horn Shark, H. portusjacksoni, instead.

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »
thanks again ;)
fixed, including the scale

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Re: "Horn Shark" (Port Jackson Shark) (K&M ~ Wild Republic Sharks Tube)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 08:42:46 PM »
Really beautiful figure  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Hercules beetle

• Anything big and bugs!
    • View Profile
Re: "Horn Shark" (Port Jackson Shark) (K&M ~ Wild Republic Sharks Tube)
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 11:32:53 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Jackson_shark
The Port Jackson shark (Heterodontus portusjacksoni) is a nocturnal, oviparous (egg laying) type of bullhead shark of the family Heterodontidae, found in the coastal region of southern Australia, including the waters off Port Jackson. It has a large, blunt head with prominent forehead ridges and dark brown harness-like markings on a lighter grey-brown body, and can grow up to 1.67 metres (5.5 ft) long

This is one of my two favorites from the set, amongst the relatively common/typical species it really stands out. The model is a bit warped, most noticeable in the face, but its less of an issue than with most of the others in the set. It also doesn't suffer from the same "weak" paint app that seems to befall most of the others.

Approximate scale 1:12.5 - 1:23
I don't usually include a human figure for scale but I figured I'd give it a shot, 御坂 美琴 [Misaka Mikoto] 1:14.6
Awesome! Gotta get that set.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal