News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Anybody got a favorite animal figure?

Started by Hercules beetle, November 07, 2014, 11:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hercules beetle

I was just wondering if anybody had a particular favorite in their collection and why.
I will post mine when i decide.

widukind

I cant find only one, there are so many like the PV sitatunga, Kaiyodo Risso dolphin and.....

brontodocus

Same here, it's impossible for me to decide which one I like best since there are so many. For different reasons I may name a few:

Water Bear Echiniscus sp. by Agatsuma Entertainment (the figure from my avatar). Because before I had started collecting I saw one offered. Years later I tried so hard to find it and couldn't locate any so that I nearly thought either I had made it up or I had confused it with something else. And then I found it again on Jauce!
All of Johan Scherft's models (okay, these are paper models but they are highly accurate and real pieces of art).
Battat (Museum of Science, Boston) Diplodocus - an awesome masterpiece sculpted by Dan LoRusso. Not just because it's rare but because it's simply wonderful and because it was ahead of its time.
Safari Ltd Tennessee Aquarium Collection Fire Salamander. I use quite a few of my figures as teaching resources at our university but none of them as often as this one. And it's definitely the best toy figure of a Fire Salamander that's ever been made.
Safari Ltd Vanishing Wild Collection Female African (Bush) Elephant, a superb and hefty figure. I have two, the heavier of them weighs in at 1447 g! :o
Kaiyodo Aquatales (Polyresin) Indo-pacific Sailfish. Because it's currently the best figure representing my favourite fish.

But I could easily add ten or twenty others to those.

bmathison1972

Mine is the firefly, Luciola cruciata by Kaiyodo for their Natural Monuments of Japan series. It's in flight!

Hercules beetle

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 08, 2014, 12:02:08 PM
Mine is the firefly, Luciola cruciata by Kaiyodo for their Natural Monuments of Japan series. It's in flight!
Sounds awesome

brontodocus

So far I've only seen it on photos. Helge posted an overview of the NMoJ figures, the Luciola cruciata is No. 45 in this post. Hmmm, still don't have that one. But since it's Blaine's favourite among so many arthropod figures he has I guess I should hunt for one, too... :)

postsaurischian

I'd like to contribute, but it's so hard I have to rethink again.

Quote from: brontodocus on November 08, 2014, 01:25:20 PM
So far I've only seen it on photos. Helge posted an overview of the NMoJ figures, the Luciola cruciata is No. 45 in this post. Hmmm, still don't have that one. But since it's Blaine's favourite among so many arthropod figures he has I guess I should hunt for one, too... :)

Nice choice, it's an unusual dynamic figure :).
Mine has faded colours because of too much sunlight, so it surely looks even better with its full coloration.

stargatedalek

I can't decide on an individual favorite, but it would be one my large safari incredible creatures or large AAA

Hercules beetle

Currently, i would actually go for my cownose ray from safari.

radioactive347

Since I don't have many items in my collection it's much easier for me to pick a favorite  :)
One of my favorites is the Safari Ltd. Montery Bay Aquarium thresher shark. He's really scratched up from the cement because someone left him behind on a sidewalk.   

Weaselfan93

my Safari ltd Forest Authentics red fox is my most special replica  :)

sbell

Just one? My Aqualand Silver Arowana is up there right now! Also my Colorata Polypterus. But there are 5000 animals to pick from...it would be tough to pick a single favorite.

JimoAi

endogenylove

My favorite is the Saola by CollectA. Rare and critically endangered animals are my thing, and to have such an unknown and beautiful species represented by a main brand is so incredibly special to me. Plus, it's a beautiful rendition with gorgeous detail. Couldn't be better!
Always looking for new species...

Isidro

Then you can have as favourites many other critically endangered ones such as African wild ass (CollectA), Sumatran rhinoceros (Safari), Hirola (CollectA), Vaquita (Safari), Gharial (Papo), Black rhinoceros (many brands), Iriomote cat (Japanese brands), Comores coelacanth (Japanese brands plus Safari), Sulawesi black crested macaque (Mojo Fun), Iberian lynx (Papo), California condor (Safari and Kaiyodo), saiga (CollectA), common sawfish (CollectA), dama gazelle (CollectA), radiated tortoise (Colorata), etc :-)

I feel making figurines of these species is favourable for their conservation, as it helps people to taking concienciation about these species and their status.

endogenylove

Many of these are figures I have and also love! (Vaquitas in particular hold a similar place in my heart). I suppose I wasn't specific enough, what makes the saola so special to me is how absolutely rare the animal is. Only discovered to western science in the 1990s, only held in captivity once for several days before the individual passed. The species has never been observed directly in the wild by western researchers and has only been caught by camera trap 2-3 times. The fact that CollectA would choose so specific and unknown an animal to make a figure of speaks volumes to me :)
Always looking for new species...

Isidro

Yeah, we have similar tastes for animals, and the fact that CollectA did these obscure but spectacular species like saola, hirola or Ganges dolphin, is what triggered me to start an animal figurine collection! Not the kind of animals that Schleich, an ABC animal lover, liked to show us and that never appealed me until I started collecting :D

Sable Antelope

GojiraGuy1954

Birdsage

Quote from: Isidro on January 19, 2021, 06:01:57 AM

I feel making figurines of these species is favourable for their conservation, as it helps people to taking concienciation about these species and their status.

I agree. This is pretty much what Yowies are for after all. Not only are many of the species represented obscure, but the majority are threatened to some degree.

Quote from: Isidro on January 19, 2021, 09:52:01 PM
...the fact that CollectA did these obscure but spectacular species like saola, hirola or Ganges dolphin, is what triggered me to start an animal figurine collection! Not the kind of animals that Schleich, an ABC animal lover, liked to show us and that never appealed me until I started collecting :D
I know. My list of figures I want but have yet to get contains mostly CollectA, Yowie, and PV figures with only a very small handful of Schleich or Bullyland.