News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Black ghost knifefish?

Started by Hercules beetle, October 28, 2014, 07:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hercules beetle

I dont know whether if a figure of this species has been released but i would be very interested to find out and find one.

sbell

There isn't. The only gymnotiform made by anyone is an electric eel by Kaiyodo. But one should be made.

Hercules beetle

Maybe i could try make a figure of one.

sbell

Or maybe I'm a liar!  :o

And with scale because I'm nothing if not pedantic:

(apologies for the terrible photo quality--it wasn't my usual set up, and the figure is small and hard to focus)

It's not quite perfect--it's a metal RPG figure from now-defunct Mega Miniatures that was sold as 'eel' although it is clearly a gymnotiform. This is my first-ever attempt at painting a metal figure (minus sealant, because of course I forgot to get some), so I went the 'easy' route before trying a more appropriate shaped one like one of the many banded knife fish (I have one more unpainted one).

This is what the original online catalogue image looked like:

The good news, if you wish to try and do a better paint job than me (well duh, of course many people could) and maybe customize it a bit (in particular the tail) is that the molds were sold to Monday Knight Productions, and that is where I got the figures (plus two rays). They are not yet listed, but if you ask they will get them for you. It cost me a total of like $8 including shipping to Canada. I think the figures were slightly less than the postage! I did, however, forget to order the stand/base as seen in the original photo--maybe next time.

Hercules beetle

I wil probably get 2 and keep 1 the way it is and make the other one a knifefish.

Hercules beetle

Oh and also sorry for not mentioning, but great job on painting the figure!

sbell

Quote from: Hercules beetle on November 01, 2014, 06:58:05 AM
Oh and also sorry for not mentioning, but great job on painting the figure!

Thanks. I have literally never painted a single metal figure ever before, so it was a new challenge--especially given that the things are really tiny.

brontodocus

Brilliant! :) I remember having seen that metal eel being offered somewhere before.

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on November 04, 2014, 09:38:14 AM
Brilliant! :) I remember having seen that metal eel being offered somewhere before.

I totally missed this--the original source was Mega Miniatures. Now they are sold by Monday Knight Productions. They aren't on the site, but if you ask they will make you some.

Also, I finally painted my second one. It is now Gymnotus carapo. More or less ;)

It's really hard getting a picture of a figure that small...