Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Latest project by Ana, Grévy's zebra (Equus grevyi) model in scale 1:22

Started by Ana, October 22, 2014, 01:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ana

Hi! I would like to show you my latest project: the miniature Grévy's zebra (Equus grevyi) in scale 1:22.

Scottish Sungazer

Very nice Ana.

Can I ask, what process do you go through when deciding on your next project? Is it a case of the species you are interested in or commissions (or both)?

Do you draw what you want to sculpt or it is all from your head?

Ana

Quote from: Scottish Sungazer on October 22, 2014, 04:25:15 PM
Very nice Ana.

Can I ask, what process do you go through when deciding on your next project? Is it a case of the species you are interested in or commissions (or both)?

Do you draw what you want to sculpt or it is all from your head?

Thank you for good words! :D

For deciding next project. Well I rarely take a commissions now because I wouldn't be able to make own projects then. But sometimes I do take commissions. This one-the Grevy's zebra, was in my head from a long time and I finally I was able to sculpt and paint. I more often choose hoofed animals but I like them all. However I probably have more love for mammals and birds, don't know why exactly  ::)  I have long list of animals which I would like to sculpt but I have limited time indeed  :)

I always draw before I start sculpting. And I try to do as much research as I can. So every time I use many photos and anatomy books to help me getting it as correct as I can.
Here are few photos of this work in progress:
So, first it looked like this: (basically wire and some Super Sculpey)

After some time and more clay added it was like this (lots of flaws in body shape and legs not defined):

Here you see some more of my tools etc (and beginning of next project - Tapirus kabomani) :

After several corrections again and few details added, it was almost finished.

Later my husband made mould for my work so the painted version you see above is actually a resin copy of the sculpture. Here photo of the white resin copy.

Scottish Sungazer

brontodocus

The sculpt and paint work are both so wonderful I don't really find the appropriate words to describe it. :o ^-^

Ana

Ana