News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Tall blondes, tall brunettes: Okapi and Giraffes

Started by OkapiBoy, December 21, 2012, 07:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Many thanks altogether! :) It was quite hard work indeed and took some 15 hours or so to cut out, paint the cutting edges, and assemble. The gracile limbs were a nightmare to attach to the body because the connecting tabs are on the inside of the body and my hands are too big to reach them so I had to use quite a lot of different tools (tweezers, toothpicks, skewers, and an s-shaped metal rod) to glue them on.

brontodocus

Something a little different this time because it's one part animal figure and one part sort of educational anatomy model that can be disassembled...
Here is the Revell X-ray Anatomy Model Giraffe, Giraffa camelopardalis (Linnaeus, 1758). It is a snap together kit that has to be assembled but there's neither scissors nor glue nor any other tools required and assembly of the few parts takes just minutes. The assembled giraffe has an impressive size, without its base it's 360 mm tall, even more than the already huge Safari Ltd Vanishing Wild male Reticulated Giraffe. This would put the model at a scale of approx. 1:12 to 1:16. The box says 1:16 which would come close to world record size (360 mm * 16 = 5.76 m) but is indeed within the species' recorded size range. The paint job is okay but nothing spectacular. Seen from the right side we see no hint that this is an anatomy model, all cutaway parts are on the left side. The cutaway parts are covered by a clear plastic "skin" and I guess it's even possible to convert this into a regular giraffe model if someone attempted to repaint it. The clear plastic can be removed as well as some of the internal organs - e.g. the heart can only be seen when the left lung is taken out. Like some other anatomy models this one is distributed by Revell but originally it's made by Famemaster/4d Master. This doesn't seem unusual since Famemaster cutaway models are also distributed by Aoshima and a handful of other companies. Safari Ltd Vanishing Wild male Reticulated Giraffe is approx. 1:13 - 1:18 scale and human figure is approx. 1:16 - 1:18 scale. While there may still be some 80,000 individuals in the wild the allover Giraffe population is decreasing and the species has vanished from large parts of its original range. See the distribution map on the backside of the box which is pretty accurate. However, IUCN still lists the Giraffe as "Least Concern".

Box:

Box opened:

The model itself:

Thorax with removable organs:

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Lovely replica. I have the Mammoth and the Snaill of this brand and I am looking for the Great Whithe Shark  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Quote from: Jetoar on December 16, 2014, 12:09:33 PM
Lovely replica. I have the Mammoth and the Snaill of this brand and I am looking for the Great Whithe Shark  ^-^.
Thanks, Jetoar! :) I have the Mammoth, too, and the Great White (among others) which is one of my favourites.

Jetoar

More images of Giraffes  ^-^.

Schleich Giraffe - 1997.

Schleich Giraffe Calf - 1997.

Kindertoyz Giraffes.

Lontic/Nayab Giraffe.

Schleich Giraffe.

Collecta Giraffe - 2010.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

AcroSauroTaurus

My Giraffes.

Figures:
Schleich Okapi
Schleich male Reticulated Giraffe (retired)
Schleich Reticulated Giraffe calf
I am the Dinosaur King!

brontodocus

Revell X-Ray / Famemaster Giraffe anatomy model photos are working again! :)

Takama

Once again after a long abcence, i decided to post some walkarounds of figures that i have not posted here before.

This is one of a Few models with a Twig in its mouth

bmathison1972

EpicRaptorMan

Picture doesn't do the adult giraffe justice as it is taller.

sbell

Safari 2022 Okapi

And with Safari 1999 Okapi

EpicRaptorMan

Neither one of these okapi were Safari's best attempt.

I used to have the old Schleich but was replaced by CollectA's later.