News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The taxidermy discussion thread

Started by AnimalToyForum, October 16, 2014, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: sbell on March 25, 2016, 02:54:17 PM
There are already the plasticizing travelling exhibits, where people (and animals) are injected with plastics, often after being opened, sectioned, or otherwise made visible internally. I havne't been in a place to see thes exhibits, but they are apparently very popular, and incredibly informative (although, of course, not without controversy).

As far as I know, most 'exhibits' are volunteers/donations or J Doe's. I can't imagine taxidermy would be much different.

The Body Works exhibition I mentioned is one such example. I saw it when it came to Dublin several years ago. Fascinating stuff, but with a strong focus on humal biology, especially internal anatomy, and the 'specimens' are obviously not meant to represent living individuals. They are plasticised and dissected. Taxidermy is different because it is a superficial representation of the living organism(s). Maybe the intention behind it is different.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 25, 2016, 01:49:29 PM
So like a real wax museum? I would hold no objection so long as the people agreed to it before they died, like organ donating, but skin donating.

Yeah. Sort of like Madame Tussauds but with a real person.  :-\

Dilopho

I can stand some types of taxidermy.
I own a dried out starfish and some bugs in resin. That's the type I like.

But I have a fear of mannequins so the stuffed type freaks me out!

I recently went to an exhibition called Animals Inside Out by Bodyworlds- many animals such as elephants and bears and even a human taxidermied without skin. Absolutely incredibly, and absolutely terrifying too.

brontodocus

Quote from: Dilopho on November 28, 2016, 10:58:34 PM
I recently went to an exhibition called Animals Inside Out by Bodyworlds- many animals such as elephants and bears and even a human taxidermied without skin. Absolutely incredibly, and absolutely terrifying too.
Oh, yes, Body Worlds - that's by Gunther von Hagens. Originally, the exhibits were exclusively human bodies. There is a lot of controversy about his exhibitions by the way.

stargatedalek

Are the actual organs preserved or are they partially recreated (like how fish are mounted)?

Elephas Maximus

With plastination, all organs are preserved. Except the eyeballs, which don't look 'alive' enough and usually changed to artificial eyes in finished specimens.

Advicot

I collect taxidermy and do my own. I do my own mainly because taxidermy is really expensive when you buy it. My only bought pieces are a pheasant and a black capped kingfisher.  ;)
Don't I take long uploading photos!