News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

stars custom figures and repaints

Started by stargatedalek, October 07, 2014, 12:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Thanks, it makes a really good companion to the Safari adult.

Jetoar

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 25, 2015, 10:13:23 PM
Thanks, it makes a really good companion to the Safari adult.

Yes it is or if you have AAA adult figure too  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Great work on the AAA Tokay Gecko and Big-headed Turtle, stargatedalek! 8)

stargatedalek

Thanks guys! I just back and I've done some touch-up work on the Safari gouldian finch but I haven't gotten any more done on these yet, here's hoping today goes well.

stargatedalek

Classic Mi, forgetting the before shots again...
I sharpened the black on the tail and face, mottled the blue and red to cover some paint "splash", and repainted the beak and eyes entirely. You can see some lighter areas of the red, that's where the paint of the beak ha extended onto the face, the tail is also still slightly bent but it was completely curled over touching the floor before. If there had been another one at the Harvard museum shop I would probably have gotten that one :P

Jetoar

stargatedalek

Big-headed turtle (Platysternon megacephalum) AAA, adult and juvenile.

The adult already had a very weathered look to it, so I tried to work with that. The end result is rather rough looking and I'm very pleased with it, even if it may not appear like the healthiest turtle out there :P

I've been putting off this one for months, and I'm really happy to finally finish it! I love how the shell turned out, I'll have to try that technique again for the keeled box turtle when I get to it.

Jetoar

stargatedalek

Despite its many flaws I've always been very fond of the Safari Incredible Creatures Hermit Crab, and since I'll be getting crabs soon enough it finally inspired me to get around to customizing it! ;D

I based it on the most common hermit crab in the pet trade, the Caribbean hermit crab, Coenobita clypeatus. Sadly I wasn't able to add the missing antennae, but I'm still very pleased with it.

I actually finished this one a long time ago and forgot to post it, AAA Chinese water dragon, Physignathus cocincinus.

bmathison1972

Wow that is a beautiful paint job on the hermit crab. Looks fantastic. I've never been into altering figures, I kinda like to show their flaws and the way the company intended, but you did a fantastic job on that crab.

stargatedalek

I can definitely agree with seeing it that way, I have a few figures (namely Carnegie figures) that I own multiple of for that very reason.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 30, 2015, 06:09:19 PM
I can definitely agree with seeing it that way, I have a few figures (namely Carnegie figures) that I own multiple of for that very reason.

I do not like nor collect translucents/glow-in-the dark figures, and I have considered buying those for repainting purposes. I have the PV insects in 'transulcents' form and have thought about repainting those.

stargatedalek

I definitely agree, I've been considering getting the Safari mudpuppy to repaint.

brontodocus

Great repaint of the Hermit Crab and the AAA Chinese Water Dragon! :) I had been thinking about adding antennae made out of wire to the Hermit Crab and to repaint it, too, but somehow I never did. Personally, I think many figures really benefit from such custom repaints and These two are perfect examples. :)

stargatedalek

Thanks! I was originally going to add the black bands on the water dragons tail, but I figured the paint would probably flake off so I left it green.

I went back to painting Playmobil, a great way to get used to my new set of small brushes! Toco Toucan (Ramphastos toco) and it's in progress companion is a Red Billed Toucan (Ramphastos tucanus). The paint didn't stick well to the legs, and I ended up having to scrape it off the bottom of the "palms" to keep it from starting a chain reaction when it sat on the perch.

I really only touched this one up, Coelurosauravus elivensis. I added pupils nostrils and claws.

And here's all the Playmobil repaints I've done; Toco Toucan (Ramphastos toco), American Flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber), and Coelurosauravus elivensis.

Lastly, I did this one some time ago and I think I forgot to upload it. Safari ltd Deep Sea Toob Giant Isopod (Bathynomus giganteus), I wish I could have sculpted on its missing legs.

Jetoar

stargatedalek

Blue and Gold Macaw (Ara ararauna) by Hasbro from the Fur Real Friends line (marketed under Squawkers McCaw). Every now and then I go through the figures I've had for a long time, and this is always my first stop. But I can't help but notice every time the beak isn't the right colour, so I finally decided to have a crack at it! The original paint scheme is my older bird, my newer one I chose to repaint since it's overall condition was better (not denying nostalgia played a part). I'm really pleased with how it turned out, the paint is already holding up better than the factory did (even when these guys were fresh out of Zellers, oh poor poor Zellers...), and the sensors and movement for the feet, tongue, and beak are all unaffected by the touch up.

stargatedalek

K&M frog toob pacman frog (best guess) repainted as (non-ornate) albino morph.

brontodocus

Very nice, stargatedalek! 8) I've only seen very few photos of the original state of the figure and wasn't even certain about if it was meant to be a horned frog at all.

Jetoar