News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by AnimalToyForum, September 18, 2014, 06:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Thanks to Takama, via the STSforum:

sbell

I've yet to see anything from 2014--the Canadian distributor is worse than terrible (hence, my hopes to trade somebody other figures to get them!).

But I am curious what their plans are.

Takama

Edit - I moved the pics to the first post. Thanks Takama! - Admin

brontodocus

Wow, thanks for posting these, Takama & Rex! :)
The Wildlife Wonders cougar is obviously a repaint of the Black Jaguar but the Coyote is a new sculpt. :) Which is nice since this year the only addition to the line was a black version of last year's Wolf which I still haven't got me, yet. I'm sure many collectors will be happy to see the WS Wildlife Aardvark and Mudpuppy back - if only the latter just as a glow-in-the-dark version but who knows, hopefully we'll see a painted one later which would make searching for the rare Tennessee Aquarium Collection Mudpuppy unneccessary. Other must haves for me are the Boar (finally a Wild Boar figure which I seem to like), Largemouth Bass and Goliath Grouper, the latter looks much like an enlarged version of the Toob-sized one from the "Flippers, Fins & Fun" playset that included Freddie the Free Diver.

AnimalToyForum

Thank you Takama! I suppose you sourced them from the stsforum? If so, thanks to them too for breaking the news!

Looks like another bumper year from Safari Ltd!

AnimalToyForum

On The earthworm cycle page, is Sarariology a typo? Shouldn't it be Safariology?

bmathison1972

yeah another Safari 'off year'. I'll probably just get the shrimp (of course-lol)...wish it didn't look like it was cooked though haha.

The insects appear to be nothing more than individuals from their insect life cycle sets. Nothing new.

The earthworm life cycle, although I don't currently collect annelids, is also tempting.

Although Sean might be happier; the grouper and bass look pretty cool

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 19, 2014, 10:46:15 AM
yeah another Safari 'off year'. I'll probably just get the shrimp (of course-lol)...wish it didn't look like it was cooked though haha.

The insects appear to be nothing more than individuals from their insect life cycle sets. Nothing new.

The earthworm life cycle, although I don't currently collect annelids, is also tempting.

I'm happy to see a few fish in there--especially a freshwater one. It would be nice if they'd branch out into fresh territory--I''m sure that next year will see a trout. Meanwhile, there are very cool freshwater fish from everywhere that should see themselves as figures.

I also like the shrimp. And the cave dragon. This year's dragons were less exciting.

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on September 19, 2014, 01:59:32 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 19, 2014, 10:46:15 AM

I'm happy to see a few fish in there--especially a freshwater one. It would be nice if they'd branch out into fresh territory--I''m sure that next year will see a trout. Meanwhile, there are very cool freshwater fish from everywhere that should see themselves as figures.

I also like the shrimp. And the cave dragon. This year's dragons were less exciting.

A lot of the critters this year look like versions of species previously done. I've noticed with Safari either 1) the species selection is interesting but scientific accuracy or quality isn't as good (e.g. last year), or 2) the species might not be exciting but quality could be good (my hunch for this year).

widukind

Only the nurse shark is interesting for me :)

sbell

Any word on the new toobs coming out?

bmathison1972

stargatedalek

no nature toobs thus far, organs, tools, ancient Rome, USA, and some generic humans

sbell

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 21, 2014, 02:28:42 AM
no nature toobs thus far, organs, tools, ancient Rome, USA, and some generic humans

Yeah, I found the pictures--put them on the DTF but not here because...lazy?

So I will do it now:

Overall? They suck. Is that too harsh? No, because from an animal-collector POV, they suck. Tools? Wow.

Unless you count the Chinese Zodiac toob (if you're from another part of Asia? Sorry, your animals don't count). And I won't, because it probably means an astrological-sign toob is coming.

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on September 21, 2014, 02:43:41 PM

Overall? They suck. Is that too harsh? No, because from an animal-collector POV, they suck. Tools? Wow.

Unless you count the Chinese Zodiac toob (if you're from another part of Asia? Sorry, your animals don't count). And I won't, because it probably means an astrological-sign toob is coming.

You are not being harsh. You are not being harsh enough. If this is all we are getting, they super suck!

You want my version of harsh? This would be more interesting if someone from the 'Family Toob' took the saw from the 'Tools Toob' and harvested the organs from the other family members to make the 'Organs Toob' (I am totally kidding of course, but it's a sarcastic look at this dismal line-up  >:D). Maybe there are others to be revealed later....

By the way does anyone else think the Family Toob looks like propaganda for the U.S. Republican Party LOL  :P

stargatedalek

the bass and shrimp are the only ones tempting me from this years lineup (outside the dinosaurs)

OkapiBoy

Well, I find the species selection uninspired and boring recoiling of figures/species they already have done in the past. What a shame, so many cool other species out there. But again, I was never really a  big fan of Safari's animal figures. The wild board could be interesting.
I"m sure CollectA and Mojo will put out a more impressive and exciting group of animals for 2015 :D

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 21, 2014, 05:08:35 PM
Quote from: sbell on September 21, 2014, 02:43:41 PM

You are not being harsh. You are not being harsh enough. If this is all we are getting, they super suck!

You want my version of harsh? This would be more interesting if someone from the 'Family Toob' took the saw from the 'Tools Toob' and harvested the organs from the other family members to make the 'Organs Toob' (I am totally kidding of course, but it's a sarcastic look at this dismal line-up  >:D). Maybe there are others to be revealed later....

By the way does anyone else think the Family Toob looks like propaganda for the U.S. Republican Party LOL  :P

I almost commented on the appearance of the family. At least if they made a few families of different backgrounds it wouldn't come across as so exclusionary. How exactly are the kids that see these for sale supposed to react when Safari is presenting this as the definition of a family (PS--I really don't want that particular can of worms opened here--it's just a question that crossed my mind and is meant as rhetorical).

Oh, wait--no kids will see these for sale. Only the largest stores, that do blanket orders, will have these in stock anyway. Because, again, thumbs down overall. >:D

John

Did anyone else notice that the Wildlife Wonders puma is from the same mold as the black jaguar?Wouldn't it have been more appropriate for them to have painted it as a regular jaguar if they were going to use the same sculpt? :o Still,of the modern animals,my favorites here are the Largemouth Bass and the grouper. ;D

sbell

Quote from: John on September 25, 2014, 01:44:02 AM
Did anyone else notice that the Wildlife Wonders puma is from the same mold as the black jaguar?Wouldn't it have been more appropriate for them to have painted it as a regular jaguar if they were going to use the same sculpt? :o Still,of the modern animals,my favorites here are the Largemouth Bass and the grouper. ;D

See Safari, and all other makers--people love them some fish figures. So make more of them. That is all.

And not just lamnid and requiem sharks.