News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Museum Koenig, Bonn, Germany

Started by AnimalToyForum, July 31, 2014, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Here are a few photos from my recent trip to the stunning Museum Koening in Bonn, Germany. The Africa Savanna diorama in the main hall was simply astounding! I highly recommend you visit!

stargatedalek

is it odd that I find the birds the most interesting? :P

great pics, it looks like you had an amazing time
I may have to go dig out some old pics of my trips to Monterey Bay and the Quebec Biodome to share if this trend of showing museums/zoos keeps up :D

Jetoar

Really awesome museum. Thanks for share friend  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Still one of my favourite museums (and for a very short time after the foundation of the Federal Republic of Germany, Alexander Koenig's office was used as the office of the first German chancellor, Konrad Adenauer). :) The current director was my PhD supervisor, by the way, he held the chair for systematic zoology in Bochum before he left to Bonn.
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 01, 2014, 02:06:08 AM
is it odd that I find the birds the most interesting? :P
Hehe, the founder Alexander Koenig himself found the birds the most interesting, too, he was an ornithologist. :)

widukind

Isidro

What a sweet memories. The typically-German quality of this museum is atonishing. I see that you covered carefully the African Savannah diorama and some of the European dioramas, but in my opinion, the best diorama of all is the enormous Congo Basin jungle, detailed to the tiniest level, from the hyper-realistic plastic leaves eaten by some insect or attacked realisticaly by fungus or viruses, to the butterflies sucking rotting fruits or poop with the proboscis extended in lifelike position, to the many unsigned insects (all of them Central African natives) walking about those fake leaves that you will be unable to distinguish to real leaves without touching... And of course full of rarities, from the biggest animals like okapi and mountain gorilla, to the most interesting smaller ones like Picathartes, zebra duiker and giant otter shrew...

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: Isidro on August 11, 2018, 10:27:31 AM
What a sweet memories. The typically-German quality of this museum is atonishing. I see that you covered carefully the African Savannah diorama and some of the European dioramas, but in my opinion, the best diorama of all is the enormous Congo Basin jungle, detailed to the tiniest level, from the hyper-realistic plastic leaves eaten by some insect or attacked realisticaly by fungus or viruses, to the butterflies sucking rotting fruits or poop with the proboscis extended in lifelike position, to the many unsigned insects (all of them Central African natives) walking about those fake leaves that you will be unable to distinguish to real leaves without touching... And of course full of rarities, from the biggest animals like okapi and mountain gorilla, to the most interesting smaller ones like Picathartes, zebra duiker and giant otter shrew...

I posted just a few of the many photos I took. I can post more if anyone is interested.

Is the Congo Basin jungle diorama the one with the hippos and crocodiles?

Isidro

I don't remember hippos and crocodiles in this exhibit. It's just a dense rainforest by side of the African savanna behind a wall.

AnimalToyForum

Ah, yes, that section was closed when we visited, I think they were renovating it.

bmathison1972

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 12, 2018, 01:53:31 PM
yes please post more  :) :) :)

Your wish is my command. I've added more images to the first post.

The dioramas are simply sunning.

Isidro

Really amazing! I remember with fondness each of these exhibits!

bmathison1972

wow these are incredible displays!