News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What is going on with TNG?

Started by Koifish, August 21, 2023, 02:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koifish

I've noticed that the models/figures by TNG have only ever been available on AliExpress, with a few being on eBay. However, I had hoped to acquire the TNG Smilodon, but it has been out of stock on AliExpress for months. Is TNG discontinuing their models? Kind of losing hope on acquiring the Smilodon if that is the case, I've never seen it show up anywhere else.
Bluestem Zoo | Collector of mainly late Pleistocene-Holocene animal figures | Come visit my zoo! | THIS HOBBY NEEDS MORE RECENTLY-EXTINCT SPECIES!!

Saarlooswolfhound

I have been waiting for it on ebay from the seller I got the other 4 mammals from. They have told me TNG won't produce another batch of the smilodon until they have enough orders to warrant it. I guess all we can do is wait. If anyone has any more info I would appreciate it since I have been waiting too.

Koifish

TNG Smilodon is back in stock on AliExpress, grab one while you can.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqszk8O
Bluestem Zoo | Collector of mainly late Pleistocene-Holocene animal figures | Come visit my zoo! | THIS HOBBY NEEDS MORE RECENTLY-EXTINCT SPECIES!!

SerAndrew

TNG is a small brand. I think they didnt' expected their success and only produced a small number of copies.

When I ordered my figures (they were available in Aliexpress; the eBay shop is from the same guys) I received a message saying that they will take long to be shipped because they were out of stock and a new batch was in production, but that takes long.

So, maybe, they are now more conservative and only publish them on the shops when they have a number of available copies.

I can say that the elasmotherium, megacerops, mammoth and stegodon are superb. But I'm not fond of the smilodon.

sbell

Quote from: SerAndrew on August 28, 2023, 09:42:10 AMTNG is a small brand. I think they didnt' expected their success and only produced a small number of copies.

When I ordered my figures (they were available in Aliexpress; the eBay shop is from the same guys) I received a message saying that they will take long to be shipped because they were out of stock and a new batch was in production, but that takes long.

So, maybe, they are now more conservative and only publish them on the shops when they have a number of available copies.

I can say that the elasmotherium, megacerops, mammoth and stegodon are superb. But I'm not fond of the smilodon.

I was more excited when it was originally labelled as Machairodus, since that would be something unique. Another Smilodon... not so much

Koifish

Quote from: sbell on August 28, 2023, 01:02:25 PM
Quote from: SerAndrew on August 28, 2023, 09:42:10 AMTNG is a small brand. I think they didnt' expected their success and only produced a small number of copies.

I was more excited when it was originally labelled as Machairodus, since that would be something unique. Another Smilodon... not so much
I had thought the same, originally. Still want to add that Stegodon to my collection... and I'm in desperate need of a Smilodon for my collection which is focused on Pleistocene and Holocene. But I'm so darned picky about my models, I don't really want the jaw open, and would do just about anything for a nice, accurate Smilodon in a relaxed pose with the jaw shut, but we never get those because, of course, most of these models are aimed for children, so they make them something that children would want to play with. I've tried getting a 3d-printed model made, but it was just way too fragile... I do have a couple coming in from AliExpress that are apparently 3d-printed and 1/35, and fit my criteria of what I look for in a model, so we'll see how they look when they arrive, not sure what to expect tbh. And at first, I didn't care at all for the TNG Smilodon since it has its jaw open like everything else out there, but it began growing on me ever since I saw it, and by the time I decided I wanted it, it was out of stock on eBay and Ali, until now. I do appreciate how it seems to have a more cat-like appearence than other models I've seen (which look more like a monster than an animal). Really, the Rebor model would be a dream (even if it's a tad on the exaggerated-side), but it's just way too big, at 10in. long.

SerAndrew

Quote from: Koifish on August 28, 2023, 01:55:39 PM
Quote from: sbell on August 28, 2023, 01:02:25 PM

I had thought the same, originally. Still want to add that Stegodon to my collection... and I'm in desperate need of a Smilodon for my collection which is focused on Pleistocene and Holocene. But I'm so darned picky about my models, I don't really want the jaw open, and would do just about anything for a nice, accurate Smilodon in a relaxed pose with the jaw shut, but we never get those because, of course, most of these models are aimed for children, so they make them something that children would want to play with. I've tried getting a 3d-printed model made, but it was just way too fragile... I do have a couple coming in from AliExpress that are apparently 3d-printed and 1/35, and fit my criteria of what I look for in a model, so we'll see how they look when they arrive, not sure what to expect tbh. And at first, I didn't care at all for the TNG Smilodon since it has its jaw open like everything else out there, but it began growing on me ever since I saw it, and by the time I decided I wanted it, it was out of stock on eBay and Ali, until now. I do appreciate how it seems to have a more cat-like appearence than other models I've seen (which look more like a monster than an animal). Really, the Rebor model would be a dream (even if it's a tad on the exaggerated-side), but it's just way too big, at 10in. long.

Same here. I don't have any smilodon for the exact same reason. I would love a relaxed one looking like an animal, not like a monster. And, yes, TNG is the closest we have got to that but still...