News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Reviews and walk-arounds: instructions

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 24, 2012, 02:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Many thanks! This made little Aye-Aye very happy! ^-^

Happy new year to all! :)

postsaurischian

:)) Ha, ha - little Aye-Aye is such a freak! Any relation to this guy?

Ana

brontodocus

;D Hehe, it's probably Daubentonia feldmani!

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

Shall we add "Nature Techni Colour / Kitan Club" and "Preiser / Elastolin" :)?

brontodocus

I second that, Nature Techni Colour by Kitan Club is a great line and has made figures that are on a par with or even better than some of their Kaiyodo counterparts. :) Preiser / Elastolin made some amazing (and sometimes expensive) 1:24 animal figures. I'd love to see walk-arounds of those, too, even if it might hurt a little, I still haven't a single Preiser animal... :'(

EDIT: One more question... what should we do with animal figures that were transferred from one line to another? The big Schleich Humpback Whale for example was originally released as part of the "Seetiere 1:32" or "Sea Animals 1:32" line which ceased, eventually, and most figures of the line were discontinued. The Humpback Whale was part of the "Wild Life" line until it was retired, very few of the former "Seetiere 1:32" figures are still listed in that line now. And what to do with figures that went out of production before such a transfer? Many of the line were discontinued before it was merged with "Wild Life". My suggestion would be to name the last line of which the figure was part of in the walk-around subject but (if possible) give an overview of the lines it belonged to in the text.

AnimalToyForum

Sorry for the delay, I was back at work this week. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll update the categories over the weekend :)

sbell

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 30, 2012, 09:19:05 PM
For the Kaiyodo threads, would it be possible for posters to include the name of the line/series in the title, like so:

"Animal (Kaiyodo - line)"

Just to make it easier for users to find, to help them show up in search engine results, and for me to sort them into separate boards later (I'll start doing this now, actually) ;)

Thanks!  :D

I will get at some eventually, but I have to say, sorting Kaiyodo re-releases and the various lines will be a good little headache! Good luck sorting those!

Plus, you can't forget other Japanese lines like Takara [ChocoEgg S7-11, Pets S3-5 and Amazing animals (this happened after Kaiyodo split from Furuta for expanding to Disney figures as well) plus their more current deep sea and sharks sets], Epoch, and the various Bandai animal series. Maybe they can all be lumped together as 'Japan misc' until they grow large enough. Plus the Yowies will need one too.

Also, I know it's a little late in the game, but might I suggest that each walkaround include at least one with a scale of some sort?  Maybe it's just my various career backgrounds, but I always like to know the size of objects in my photos. And I will get to it eventually.

AND ONE MORE THING! I saw the post somewhere about a thread for posting sellers and sites that use pictures without permission--I think that should be here. I'm not too concerned about mine (the rulers & scales tend to scare people off) but some people put a lot of effort into their photos (and not everyone likes watermarking--I'm having nightmares about even thinking of doing it to all 6000 of my photos...).

brontodocus

Thanks for your suggestions, sbell! :) Aren't those Takara lines produced by Kaiyodo as well? :o
Quote from: sbell on January 05, 2013, 01:42:23 AM
Plus, you can't forget other Japanese lines like Takara [ChocoEgg S7-11, Pets S3-5 and Amazing animals (this happened after Kaiyodo split from Furuta for expanding to Disney figures as well) plus their more current deep sea and sharks sets], Epoch, and the various Bandai animal series. Maybe they can all be lumped together as 'Japan misc' until they grow large enough. Plus the Yowies will need one too.
:o I always thought the Takara ChocoEggs, Pets, and Amazing Animals were produced by Kaiyodo for Takara. Phew, things were so much easier before I started to care about which figure belongs to which series by which manufacturer. But it's too late for me now... ;D
Also, I know it's a little late in the game, but might I suggest that each walkaround include at least one with a scale of some sort?  Maybe it's just my various career backgrounds, but I always like to know the size of objects in my photos. And I will get to it eventually.
During the last two years I favoured determining the scale of a figure and give measurements but it's still probably a good thing to do. Before that, I always had a scale bar in my photos:

As soon as I find it, I can start updating my walk-arounds with one additional photo containing a scale bar. :)
AND ONE MORE THING! I saw the post somewhere about a thread for posting sellers and sites that use pictures without permission--I think that should be here. I'm not too concerned about mine (the rulers & scales tend to scare people off) but some people put a lot of effort into their photos (and not everyone likes watermarking--I'm having nightmares about even thinking of doing it to all 6000 of my photos...).
Okay, that encourages me that it's probably a helpful thing to make a thread concerning unpermitted commercial usage of our photos. :) There's of course no way I could re-edit every photo or post I ever made to replace pictures by watermarked ones and I have stored close to 11000 photos so far. And I don't really like watermarked photos either. But I see no other way than to add a watermark to all new photos. There are programs that can make batch conversions of hundreds of photos at the same time but in this case you don't have any control about if the watermark overlaps something you don't want it to conceal. And I still keep originals without watermarks but that means twice the harddisk space is required... :-\

AnimalToyForum

I've added boards for Preiser / Elastolin and Nature Techni Colour by Kitan Club. I hope I've done the company format correctly?

Quote from: brontodocus on January 04, 2013, 10:17:07 AM
EDIT: One more question... what should we do with animal figures that were transferred from one line to another? The big Schleich Humpback Whale for example was originally released as part of the "Seetiere 1:32" or "Sea Animals 1:32" line which ceased, eventually, and most figures of the line were discontinued. The Humpback Whale was part of the "Wild Life" line until it was retired, very few of the former "Seetiere 1:32" figures are still listed in that line now. And what to do with figures that went out of production before such a transfer? Many of the line were discontinued before it was merged with "Wild Life". My suggestion would be to name the last line of which the figure was part of in the walk-around subject but (if possible) give an overview of the lines it belonged to in the text.

I suggest categorising such figures base on their current line. We can alway add a note in the review if there is anything notable about their history.

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 30, 2012, 09:19:05 PM
For the Kaiyodo threads, would it be possible for posters to include the name of the line/series in the title, like so:

"Animal (Kaiyodo - line)"

Just to make it easier for users to find, to help them show up in search engine results, and for me to sort them into separate boards later (I'll start doing this now, actually) ;)

Thanks!  :D

I will get at some eventually, but I have to say, sorting Kaiyodo re-releases and the various lines will be a good little headache! Good luck sorting those!

Originally I intended misc figures to be posted in the parent board, but that isn't very obvious, so I've created a general 'other' category so there's a place for miscellaneous figures. We can always rearrange it later :) I'll also rearrange the Kaiyodo section later...

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on January 05, 2013, 09:17:57 AM
Thanks for your suggestions, sbell! :) Aren't those Takara lines produced by Kaiyodo as well? :o
:o I always thought the Takara ChocoEggs, Pets, and Amazing Animals were produced by Kaiyodo for Takara. Phew, things were so much easier before I started to care about which figure belongs to which series by which manufacturer. But it's too late for me now... ;D
During the last two years I favoured determining the scale of a figure and give measurements but it's still probably a good thing to do. Before that, I always had a scale bar in my photos:

As soon as I find it, I can start updating my walk-arounds with one additional photo containing a scale bar. :)
Okay, that encourages me that it's probably a helpful thing to make a thread concerning unpermitted commercial usage of our photos. :) There's of course no way I could re-edit every photo or post I ever made to replace pictures by watermarked ones and I have stored close to 11000 photos so far. And I don't really like watermarked photos either. But I see no other way than to add a watermark to all new photos. There are programs that can make batch conversions of hundreds of photos at the same time but in this case you don't have any control about if the watermark overlaps something you don't want it to conceal. And I still keep originals without watermarks but that means twice the harddisk space is required... :-\

If members want to include a scale bar in one of their pics then great, but it isn't necessary. :)

AnimalToyForum

Sadly, I'm out of animal figures to walk-around and share, I don't really have much of a collection to speak of, which is why I've dropped off the map a little :-[  It's all up to you guys now, until Safari send another batch, or I nip to the toy shop :)

Really, I'm amazed how many walk-arounds we have already, and the quality! Thanks everyone who has participated so far 8).

AnimalToyForum

Jetoar, thanks for all your recent walk-arounds, very cool! 8)

Jetoar

Quote from: animaltoyforum on January 09, 2013, 10:30:14 PM
Jetoar, thanks for all your recent walk-arounds, very cool! 8)

Thanks Adam, I am gladding that you like my post, I was waiting long time to go at home to take photographs of my figures  ^-^.

brontodocus

Yes, I agree, you did a great job on those, Jetoar! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 10, 2013, 10:16:10 PM
Yes, I agree, you did a great job on those, Jetoar! Thanks for sharing! :)

you are welcome friend, you are a good example that follow  ^-^.

postsaurischian

A quote from another thread regarding the new Kaiyodo arrangement:

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 20, 2013, 08:43:18 PM
Well done :)! Only two mistakes C:-) ;D:

1. It's Animatales, not Animaltales.
2. The Aqualand Tree Frog belongs in the 'other series' section.

May we fix these?

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 25, 2013, 05:07:56 PM
A quote from another thread regarding the new Kaiyodo arrangement:

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 20, 2013, 08:43:18 PM
Well done :)! Only two mistakes C:-) ;D:

1. It's Animatales, not Animaltales.
2. The Aqualand Tree Frog belongs in the 'other series' section.

May we fix these?

Will do...  O:-)

Edit - done! Thanks for spotting and pointing out these mistakes - other comments and suggestions are always welcome!

postsaurischian