News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Reviews and walk-arounds: instructions

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 24, 2012, 02:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

It's of course some additional work. But there are freeware programs for watermarking photos that can make a batch conversion of multiple photos at the same time. The program I use is PMlabs WaterMark v2 but there are certainly others that are as useful. :) Personally I prefer photos without watermarks but I really don't want to see my photos in other people's listings again. I'll keep copies without watermarks for myself, though.

Jetoar

When I will arrive to my home, I will talk about old figures that I have of AAA.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brontodocus on December 28, 2012, 10:34:59 AM
It's of course some additional work. But there are freeware programs for watermarking photos that can make a batch conversion of multiple photos at the same time. The program I use is PMlabs WaterMark v2 but there are certainly others that are as useful. :) Personally I prefer photos without watermarks but I really don't want to see my photos in other people's listings again. I'll keep copies without watermarks for myself, though.
It's ok, I know how to watermark stuff, I have GIMP and I've used Photoshop in the past.

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 28, 2012, 11:40:49 AM
Quote from: brontodocus on December 28, 2012, 10:34:59 AM
It's ok, I know how to watermark stuff, I have GIMP and I've used Photoshop in the past.

I use photoshop, but I do it manually as I like to position the text differently depending on the photo.

---

The ATF text is papyrus - how funny we should settle on the same font!

tyrantqueen

Here's a little sample of  a watermark I made using GIMP. I didn't add a website because I don't have one, and I don't want to use my real name.

Is this ok? :)

brontodocus

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 28, 2012, 11:47:50 AM
I use photoshop, but I do it manually as I like to position the text differently depending on the photo.

---

Oh, is it really? ;D Because yesterday in the evening I simply opened a Word document and typed "The Animal Toy Forum" in "Papyrus" and the letters "T" and "F" looked very different, e.g. the capital "T" is as high as the "h"... I guess there are several versions of "Papyrus" then. I thought about manually positioning a watermark, too. But when I photograph figures I'll often end up taking a few hundred shots... urgh, that's probably too much to handle... :-\ ;D

Tyrantqueen, I think the watermark looks good. :) I guess it's half transparent, too?

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on December 28, 2012, 12:19:40 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 28, 2012, 11:47:50 AM

---

Oh, is it really? ;D Because yesterday in the evening I simply opened a Word document and typed "The Animal Toy Forum" in "Papyrus" and the letters "T" and "F" looked very different, e.g. the capital "T" is as high as the "h"... I guess there are several versions of "Papyrus" then. I thought about manually positioning a watermark, too. But when I photograph figures I'll often end up taking a few hundred shots... urgh, that's probably too much to handle... :-\ ;D

Tyrantqueen, I think the watermark looks good. :) I guess it's half transparent, too?

I'm using papyrus regular, maybe papyrus condensed looks different, if that's what you are using, but I'm sure there are different variation to the font, anyway :)

TQ, your watermark looks great  8)

postsaurischian

Could you please add Kaiyodo? A general thread would still be better than nothing.
The specific series could be mentioned in the the first walk-around post, if it is too difficult to divide the line into the different main series.

brontodocus

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 30, 2012, 12:44:46 AM
Could you please add Kaiyodo? A general thread would still be better than nothing.
The specific series could be mentioned in the the first walk-around post, if it is too difficult to divide the line into the different main series.
Sounds reasonable to me. :)

Oh, since we had the first incident that two members wanted to post a walk-around of the same figure... My thoughts on this are similar to what Adam said about reviews on the Dinosaur Toy Blog, that these are not exclusive and that a figure that has already been reviewed could also be reviewed again.
Well, every photo is also an interpretation of the photographed object and the result is dependent on angle, light, camera, background, and of course the photographer's perception. Personally I think these walk-around threads can benefit from such different interpretations. I would only recommend that in those cases the photos should be added to an existing thread. Currently I'm on holiday for more than a week and of course I'd like to fill our still young forum with life (and I have some more walk-arounds ready to post) but it isn't meant to be a competition. I for one wouldn't have a problem with it when another member adds her/his own walk-around photos to a thread I've started. :)

AnimalToyForum

Kaiyodo thread added http://www.animaltoyforum.com/index.php/board,33.0.html

We can always divide it into separate lines later. Sorry for the delay, I have been away from home in recent days  ;)

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on December 30, 2012, 12:55:38 AM
Sounds reasonable to me. :)

Oh, since we had the first incident that two members wanted to post a walk-around of the same figure... My thoughts on this are similar to what Adam said about reviews on the Dinosaur Toy Blog, that these are not exclusive and that a figure that has already been reviewed could also be reviewed again.
Well, every photo is also an interpretation of the photographed object and the result is dependent on angle, light, camera, background, and of course the photographer's perception. Personally I think these walk-around threads can benefit from such different interpretations. I would only recommend that in those cases the photos should be added to an existing thread. Currently I'm on holiday for more than a week and of course I'd like to fill our still young forum with life (and I have some more walk-arounds ready to post) but it isn't meant to be a competition. I for one wouldn't have a problem with it when another member adds her/his own walk-around photos to a thread I've started. :)

I agree, multiple photos/reviews are most welcome, but given the forum format, the simplest approach is to post them into existing threads. I'm impressed and delighted how quickly this section is becoming populated - thanks for your efforts guys! I have some more to add soon as well :)

brontodocus

Hehe, it was a good timing to start the Reviews and walk-arounds section between Christmas and New Year's Eve when probably many of us are on holiday and have enough time! :)

Ana

Happy to see Vanishing Wild Safari :D

brontodocus

Quote from: Ana on December 30, 2012, 11:11:52 AM
Would you like to contribute a walk-around of a Vanishing Wild figure? :) I only have very few (four altogether) and they either have considerable paint rub or are repaired. :-\ It would be great to see walk-arounds of these, though, it's a very important line!

Ana

Quote from: brontodocus on December 30, 2012, 11:23:23 AM
Quote from: Ana on December 30, 2012, 11:11:52 AM
Would you like to contribute a walk-around of a Vanishing Wild figure? :) I only have very few (four altogether) and they either have considerable paint rub or are repaired. :-\ It would be great to see walk-arounds of these, though, it's a very important line!

I have only elephant with young so I did walk around photos of them. But I think other members have also other animals from this line :)
I don't think I will try to get more from VW because they are so big. It's for me the same like with WW, I need mainly elephants in this big size :D Perhaps also giraffes in further future  ::)

tyrantqueen

Would it be possible for a section to be added for figures of unknown origin? :) Like made in china figures with no branding.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 30, 2012, 03:30:42 PM
Would it be possible for a section to be added for figures of unknown origin? :) Like made in china figures with no branding.

I intended the main board (where this thread is posted) to be for unknown brands, chinanimals, and one-off figures. If there are lots then we can create a separate board for them eventually :)

AnimalToyForum

For the Kaiyodo threads, would it be possible for posters to include the name of the line/series in the title, like so:

"Animal (Kaiyodo - line)"

Just to make it easier for users to find, to help them show up in search engine results, and for me to sort them into separate boards later (I'll start doing this now, actually) ;)

Thanks!  :D

brontodocus

Probably something for 2013 but little Aye-Aye has a request for the child boards...

Sorry, I couldn't resist... ;D - but I'm off for the rest of the year, see you all in 2013. :)

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on December 31, 2012, 05:21:04 PM
Probably something for 2013 but little Aye-Aye has a request for the child boards...

Sorry, I couldn't resist... ;D - but I'm off for the rest of the year, see you all in 2013. :)

Haha, of course you can haz colorata and WW little eye-eye.

Done and done!

Have a great break and see you next year - we will miss you ;)