This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Mountain Nyala (CollectA - Wild Life)  (Read 10214 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Mountain Nyala (CollectA - Wild Life)
« on: July 06, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »
Walk-around of the CollectA Wild Life 88689 Mountain Nyala, Tragelaphus buxtoni (Lydekker, 1910), new for 2014. Snout-vent length is approx. 111 mm, shoulder height is approx. 71 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:17 and 1:19. Being a woodland species restricted to high altitudes in central Ethiopia this close relative of the Greater Kudu was one of the latest large African ungulates to be discovered. With probably less than 2500 mature individuals remaining, IUCN classifies the species as "Endangered". The human figure is approx. 1:19 scale.

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:18:32 PM by brontodocus »

MartinH

• View Profile
Re: Mountain Nyala (CollectA - Wild Life)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 03:48:37 PM »
Wonderful model!!! :o

widukind

• Andreas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:26:31 PM »
A very interesting antelope specie and in my mind one of the best CollectA 2014 :)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 10:12:54 PM »
Many thanks, Martin & Andreas! :-) By now it seems CollectA really has become one of the best brands to make antelope figures.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 11:08:05 PM »
Really nice replica of this specie  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
 :D Wow! Really nice - my No.1 antelope figure for this year. I'm glad it's finally available in Germany now.
I may take a pic next to the Anna & Harriet Nyala pair and post it here when mine has arrived.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »
Thanks, Jetoar & Helge! :)
:D Wow! Really nice - my No.1 antelope figure for this year. I'm glad it's finally available in Germany now.
I may take a pic next to the Anna & Harriet Nyala pair and post it here when mine has arrived.
Oh, I was hoping you'd do! ^-^

postsaurischian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 06:50:35 PM »
  :)  Here it is compared to the 'Anna & Harriet project' 1:22 Nyala pair:

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »
Yay, many thanks, Helge!  :) I think the photo also reveals how much more gracile Anna's and Harriet's figures are compared to the CollectA, I can imagine their limbs would probably be a bit too gracile for mass production?

OkapiBoy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »
Beautiful figure! I really can't wait to get this figure. It really looks nice to see it next to Anna's version.

widukind

• Andreas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 04:51:58 PM »
A really must have!! Congratulations!! :)

Dragonwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 02:50:58 PM »
Definitely one of the best ungulate figures ever made. CollectA is always on the roll with the lesser known species for making models out of them. I hope they would churn out more antelope like the bongo, topi, hartebeest, nilgai and the saiga antelope. Love this Nyala model. Kudos to CollectA!!

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 01:57:11 PM »
Thanks, all!  :)

Definitely one of the best ungulate figures ever made. CollectA is always on the roll with the lesser known species for making models out of them. I hope they would churn out more antelope like the bongo, topi, hartebeest, nilgai and the saiga antelope. Love this Nyala model. Kudos to CollectA!!

Well, we will see what future years will bring but I think the chances are not too bad we will see those eventually being made by CollectA. :)

Rossano

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 01:01:03 AM »
I just got mine, bought online because I can't find a retailer close to my town, but I am very disappointed since not all the legs of the animal touch the floor, and it bends on one side. Looks like it has been deformed by the pressure with the other heavier animals (a Bowhead Whale and a Narwal) in the same box. Actually after some minutes it ends up falling down.

If you can confirm me that a normal piece has all its four feet touching the floor and the animal stands straight without being inclined on the left, I will send it back to the seller. The horn of the Narwal is a bit curved too, but I think I can make it straight again by modelling it, since it is more floppy, while the Nyala legs are more rigid.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 10:53:57 AM »
I just got mine, bought online because I can't find a retailer close to my town, but I am very disappointed since not all the legs of the animal touch the floor, and it bends on one side. Looks like it has been deformed by the pressure with the other heavier animals (a Bowhead Whale and a Narwal) in the same box. Actually after some minutes it ends up falling down.

If you can confirm me that a normal piece has all its four feet touching the floor and the animal stands straight without being inclined on the left, I will send it back to the seller. The horn of the Narwal is a bit curved too, but I think I can make it straight again by modelling it, since it is more floppy, while the Nyala legs are more rigid.
Since it's been two years now I have to say I actually cannot remember how my figure was when I got it. But those warped legs are very common in animal toy figures, especially those slender-legged ones. They may even warp later on, when not stored properly or during summer when temperatures are hot. I've had this issue so many times with so many figures that I can't remember which one was and which one wasn't warped. Especially because in many cases the problem can be solved by a procedure we call "hot water treatment" - after I fixed it I soon forget that there ever was a problem. Basically you will need two pots of sufficient size, one with boiling water, the other one with water as cold as possible (i.e. with ice cubes in it). I use barbecue tongs to hold the figure, place it in the hot water - usually within seconds the softened plastic seems to "remember" its original orientation and the warped leg straightens itself. When this is achieved I immediately put the figure into the ice cold water (make sure that the ice cubes do not bend the leg back again so you would need a little free space within the cold water). The repositioned plastic hardens again within a few seconds. With this mehod I could repair virtually every newly bought figure which had this issue. May not work on figures which were deformed over several years so the newer they are the better the results (I guess it is because softeners tend to disappear over the years).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:54:19 AM by brontodocus »

Rossano

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 11:36:21 PM »
Brontoducus, I am amazed, thanks a lot for your very informative and useful answer! I will make my attempts tomorrow.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »
And the CollectA Mountain Nyala walk-around was the next in line to get its photos back. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal