News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

stars dios

Started by stargatedalek, July 05, 2014, 01:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Cute Pictures With that Anime Figure.  :)

stargatedalek

I figured this was my time to show my process for the diorama contest, mine was #3.

I really wanted to set up a proper table top diorama this year, it just seemed like it would be a fun and new experience, but alas I had to confess to myself that I just didn't have the space. I explored quite a few different directions this year:

- but I decided I wanted to use figures that I'd repainted. You'll notice most of these photos I posted already, these were test shots that I ended up being rather fond of. I considered a few different options, everything from using an iguana as Barbaturex to the Carnegie Caudipteryx, and I settled on the Carnegie Microraptor.

But I ended up taking more photos of it than I knew what to do with! As for its co-star, I originally planed to have it alongside an original Microraptor as a leucistic, but I decided on this little AAA preying mantis, also repainted.

These were the accompanying photos of the finale choice.

And this was the one I decided on at the end.

bmathison1972

Some nice outdoor shots, but I never considered outdoor shots as dioramas. In a true diorama, the habitat should be constructed as well!

By the way, what mantid is that...I do not think I have that one. Must be a larger AAA model?

stargatedalek

I don't really consider them dioramas either, at least not in a professional sense. If you really stretch the term in vernacular it still fits, but I personally I wouldn't use diorama if it hadn't already been so deeply adopted/ingrained into the DTF community.

The mantis is fairly small actually, about 2-3 inches from head to wing tip.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 29, 2015, 02:21:23 PM
I don't really consider them dioramas either, at least not in a professional sense. If you really stretch the term in vernacular it still fits, but I personally I wouldn't use diorama if it hadn't already been so deeply adopted/ingrained into the DTF community.

The mantis is fairly small actually, about 2-3 inches from head to wing tip.

Thanks! I read after the fact it is AAA. Still I need to hunt it down. There is an AAA hopper I am still missing too. AAA did some nice insects. This mantis is nice and isn't out of the same 'chinabug' mold you see a lot!

stargatedalek

They really did make some great insects, shame I only have the smaller scorpion mold (in duplicate before modifying one into a whip scorpion) and this mantis. I probably would have snatched it up anyway, but if I spot another mantis I'll be sure to grab it with your name on it ;)

Their inverts in general are lovely, I also have a spiny lobster sea horse and cuttlefish. It really is amazing that they managed to make molds of such fragile specimens.

stargatedalek

Well no crabs yet, but I got my tank set up. I want to keep it set up for a few weeks to make sure I have everything I need to keep temperature and humidity where it should be. In the meantime enjoy me screwing around some proof of concept shots ;)