This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Pygmy Hippopotamus and Calf (CollectA - Wild Life)  (Read 5527 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Pygmy Hippopotamus and Calf (CollectA - Wild Life)
« on: July 03, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »
Finally, 2014 brought us a Pygmy Hippopotamus (actually, it's even two of them) by a major brand! :D So here are the new CollectA Wild Life Pygmy Hippopotamus (88686) & Calf (88687), Choeropsis (syn.: Hexaprotodon) liberiensis (Morton, 1849). While I haven't measured the calf (which would represent a very young one that should probably be a good deal smaller to be in scale with the adult, but that's often the case with adults and calves by the same manufacturer), the adult has a snout-vent length of 101 mm, a shoulder height of 47, and a total height of 51 mm, so the scale is approx. 1:16 - 1:17. The last photo gives a size comparison with the huge Safari Ltd Wildlife Wonders Hippopotamus which is about the same scale (1:15 - 1:17).

Not only more terrestrial and much smaller than its larger cousin, the Pygmy Hippopotamus is also much rarer, restricted to a few Western African countries (Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Côte d'Ivoire, with a population or subspecies in Nigeria already being extinct). With a total population of probably less than 3,000 individuals remaining, IUCN classifies the species as "Endangered".

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:12:56 PM by brontodocus »

widukind

• Andreas
    • View Profile
Re: Pygmy Hippopotamus and Calf (CollectA - Wild Life)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »
Beautieful and very interesting as specie  :)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:27:07 PM »
Another great walk arounds as always  ^-^. Collecta definetly have done a great work with these figures. I hope to see this figure in stores for my birthday  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

MartinH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:33:52 PM »
They are wonderful. I was not sure if I want them but now... on my wishlist for sure  :) :)

OkapiBoy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 03:07:39 AM »
Lovely figures, so great to  have another obscure species added to the list. The baby is cute :)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 09:17:17 PM »
Many thanks, all!  :) Yes, I believe the calf is one of the cutest animal toy figures I've ever seen... but it really matches the real thing. I've once seen a baby in Duisburg Zoo, they are also quite tiny just after birth, not much larger than a human baby! ;D

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »
CollectA Pygmy Hippos photos are back. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal