Author Topic: Chondricthyans  (Read 77380 times)

postsaurischian

• View Profile
Re: Chondricthyans
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
I love Kaiyodo (I think Kaiyodo bottle cup?)  Whale shark, what an amazing figure!!  8)  :D

Yes, I love them too :)!
Here's another Kaiyodo Whale Shark - the Aquatales version:

....... and the Aquatales Scalloped Hammerhead:

Himmapaan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Gallery
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 07:24:31 PM »
I agree, that Kaiyodo bottlecap whale shark is just gorgeous.

Varanus

• Goannas Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
Here's a few of mine that I haven't seen posted yet. :)

An odd collection of minis.  Tentative IDs L-R:  Manta Ray, Great White, Horn Shark, Saw Shark, Skate, Dogfish/Smoothound, Bull Shark, Hammerhead.

Adult and baby Great Whites by an unknown maker.  I believe they came with a shark cage and diver.

Basking Shark by an unknown maker.  Looks like something PV would make.

Random Nurse Shark, Hammerhead, and Sawfish x 2.

The ray's already been posted, but the Leopard Shark hasn't.  I can't remember if it's by K&M or Safari.

Tiger Shark, Hammerhead, and Whale Shark made by Action Products.  They came in a box with a cage and several divers.

Several inaccurate skates with gills on both the top and bottom! ::)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:02:32 AM by Varanus »

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2012, 12:19:39 AM »

An odd collection of minis.  Tentative IDs L-R:  Manta Ray, Great White, Horn Shark, Saw Shark, Skate, Dogfish/Smoothound, Bull Shark, Hammerhead.

Those are from a company called FUL, who makes a pretty good set of sea life including sea cucumbers and anemones!

And the weird Basking shark and silver sawfish are from the same set--it was distributed by Play Visions, but isn't one of theirs.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:20:06 AM by sbell »

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2012, 01:51:45 AM »

:)  Kaiyodo Enoshima & Shinagawa Aquarium:

Blacktip Reef Shark

Whale Shark

Sand Tiger Shark

Kaiyoodo rules. I like all  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2012, 01:53:35 AM »

Those are from a company called FUL, who makes a pretty good set of sea life including sea cucumbers and anemones!

And the weird Basking shark and silver sawfish are from the same set--it was distributed by Play Visions, but isn't one of theirs.

This figure of basking shark is beutiful. You have a nice colection.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »
Wow, there are a few I've not seen before! :o
And Helge, I still need to get me that Carcharias taurus figure! :)
Hey, I guess I have that FUL sawshark, too - and also the sea cucumber sbell mentioned! :)

Tiger Shark, Hammerhead, and Whale Shark made by Action Products.  They came in a box with a cage and several divers.
The Tiger Shark looks like a mini version of the Safari Ltd. MBA figure (or like a knockoff of the toob version)! :o

Two more Whale Sharks (along with the Aquatales Series 2 figure Helge just posted): Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Ocean 1 figure (length 93 mm, scale approx. 1:47 - 1:129); paper model by Taiwan designer Civi Cheng from his book "Make My Own Ocean Animals" (length 281 mm, scale approx. 1:16 - 1:42).

And isn't it about time to post some of these here right now? :) I might post individual photos in the customs section later on, since I've painted all of mine, but for the moment...
Some Neko Works shark resin models by Masato Inoue:

The five on the left are (from top to bottom): Starspotted Smoothhound, Mustelus manazo Bleeker, 1854, length 107 mm, scale approx. 1:6 - 1:20; Greenland Shark, Somniosus microcephalus (Bloch & Schneider, 1801), length 86 mm, scale approx. 1:28 - 1:85; (Shortfin) Mako Shark, Isurus oxyrinchus (Rafinesque, 1810), length 95 mm, scale approx. 1:28 - 1:42; (Smooth) Hammerhead Shark, Sphyrna zygaena (Linnaeus, 1758), length 80 mm, scale approx. 1:33 - 1:62;  Stethacanthus, length 80 mm, scale approx. 1:8 - 1:9. The two remaining in the top row are: (Smalltooth) Sand Tiger Shark, Odontaspis ferox (Risso, 1810), length 100 mm, scale approx. 1:36 - 1:41 (the first dorsal is placed too far towards the frond to represent Carcharias taurus); Basking Shark, Cetorhinus maximus (Gunnerus, 1765), length 97 mm, scale approx. 1:52 - 1:101. Below these two is the Oceanic Whitetip Shark, Carcharhinus longimanus (Poey, 1861), length 90 mm, scale approx. 1:20 - 1:44. The flat one in the middle is the (Japanese) Angel Shark, Squatina japonica Bleeker, 1858, length 83 mm, scale up to 1:24. The remaining two on the lower right are  (Tawny) Nurse Shark, Nebrius ferrugineus (Lesson, 1831), length 99 mm, scale approx. 1:23 - 1:32 (I altered the pectoral fins and gave them a concave rear edge); and †Hybodus, length 91 mm, scale approx. 1:17 - 1:23.

Himmapaan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Gallery
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2012, 06:31:26 PM »

Two more Whale Sharks (along with the Aquatales Series 2 figure Helge just posted): Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Ocean 1 figure (length 93 mm, scale approx. 1:47 - 1:129); paper model by Taiwan designer Civi Cheng from his book "Make My Own Ocean Animals" (length 281 mm, scale approx. 1:16 - 1:42).

I want these so much.  :'(

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2012, 06:45:28 PM »
Wow, there are a few I've not seen before! :o
And Helge, I still need to get me that Carcharias taurus figure! :)
Hey, I guess I have that FUL sawshark, too - and also the sea cucumber sbell mentioned! :)

The Tiger Shark looks like a mini version of the Safari Ltd. MBA figure (or like a knockoff of the toob version)! :o

And isn't it about time to post some of these here right now? :) I might post individual photos in the customs section later on, since I've painted all of mine, but for the moment...
Some Neko Works shark resin models by Masato Inoue:

The five on the left are (from top to bottom): Starspotted Smoothhound, Mustelus manazo Bleeker, 1854, length 107 mm, scale approx. 1:6 - 1:20; Greenland Shark, Somniosus microcephalus (Bloch & Schneider, 1801), length 86 mm, scale approx. 1:28 - 1:85; (Shortfin) Mako Shark, Isurus oxyrinchus (Rafinesque, 1810), length 95 mm, scale approx. 1:28 - 1:42; (Smooth) Hammerhead Shark, Sphyrna zygaena (Linnaeus, 1758), length 80 mm, scale approx. 1:33 - 1:62;  Stethacanthus, length 80 mm, scale approx. 1:8 - 1:9. The two remaining in the top row are: (Smalltooth) Sand Tiger Shark, Odontaspis ferox (Risso, 1810), length 100 mm, scale approx. 1:36 - 1:41 (the first dorsal is placed too far towards the frond to represent Carcharias taurus); Basking Shark, Cetorhinus maximus (Gunnerus, 1765), length 97 mm, scale approx. 1:52 - 1:101. Below these two is the Oceanic Whitetip Shark, Carcharhinus longimanus (Poey, 1861), length 90 mm, scale approx. 1:20 - 1:44. The flat one in the middle is the (Japanese) Angel Shark, Squatina japonica Bleeker, 1858, length 83 mm, scale up to 1:24. The remaining two on the lower right are  (Tawny) Nurse Shark, Nebrius ferrugineus (Lesson, 1831), length 99 mm, scale approx. 1:23 - 1:32 (I altered the pectoral fins and gave them a concave rear edge); and †Hybodus, length 91 mm, scale approx. 1:17 - 1:23.

Cool papercraft whale shark. Neko works have done a good miniatures. I like the painted of these figures.

postsaurischian

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2012, 11:49:48 PM »
 :) I especially like the painting of the Neko Works Angel Shark.
Maybe I'll show my unpainted ones when I have the time to take pics. This series has a certain charme :).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Colorata Whale Sharks:
left: 'Sharks of the World - Museum Model'
right: from the 'Sharks of the World - Sharks DX' box

sbell

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2012, 01:05:45 AM »
I am learning something in this thread. 1, I don't have enough Neko sharks (I only have the 2 prehistoric ones, and I curse that I did not discover them in time to get the cookie cutter or greenland shark); 2, I have so very few Kaiyodo sharks! Given the number here, it's ridiculous how few I have! And I don't see me being able to fix that anytime soon.

Anyway, a few new additions.

These are stretchy ones made by Club Earth. There are actually 5, but the 5th one (a sawfish) didn't survive my kid's attention. It's boring anyway; the real gems are the last two:

From first to last: Manta ray, Eagle ray (bullnose?); proper dasyatid stingray, probably Atlantic stingray; and finally the Torpedo Ray!  This last one is really the reason to hunt down the set, it`s just so unique (unless there are others out there. Anyone?). And the photos don't do them justice, as they are fairly detailed; it's just too bad that they aren't released as solid figures like their Extinct Animals set.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
At least, most of the Kaiyodo sharks are more or less available (okay, the price sometimes is another thing :-\). As for the Neko Works, I haven't seen anything new since the release of the Angelshark early in 2011. While I do hope to see further models I'm not sure if the line will not cease to exist, they seem to have become less regularly available at HLJ, lately. If you plan to get them, maybe you should not wait too long?
On the other hand, even if they may be soft and stretchy, those Club Earth rays are very nice (and I assume, harder to find than Kaiyodo sharks? :'(), I especially like the dasyatid and the Torpedo! :)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2012, 09:28:05 AM »
I am learning something in this thread. 1, I don't have enough Neko sharks (I only have the 2 prehistoric ones, and I curse that I did not discover them in time to get the cookie cutter or greenland shark); 2, I have so very few Kaiyodo sharks! Given the number here, it's ridiculous how few I have! And I don't see me being able to fix that anytime soon.

Anyway, a few new additions.

These are stretchy ones made by Club Earth. There are actually 5, but the 5th one (a sawfish) didn't survive my kid's attention. It's boring anyway; the real gems are the last two:

From first to last: Manta ray, Eagle ray (bullnose?); proper dasyatid stingray, probably Atlantic stingray; and finally the Torpedo Ray!  This last one is really the reason to hunt down the set, it`s just so unique (unless there are others out there. Anyone?). And the photos don't do them justice, as they are fairly detailed; it's just too bad that they aren't released as solid figures like their Extinct Animals set.

Yes they are precios gems. Stingray is the best  :).

Varanus

• Goannas Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2013, 01:04:43 AM »
... and finally the Torpedo Ray!  This last one is really the reason to hunt down the set, it`s just so unique (unless there are others out there. Anyone?).
I've actually just learned of two others!

One so-so figure is a part of the "Octonauts" cartoon toy line.

The other I found on ebay, I've have no clue who makes it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shark-Angel-shark-Toy-Plastic-replica-sealife-figure-Ocean-creature-NEW-/330871066875?pt=Educational_Toys_US&hash=item4d0973d0fb&nma=true&si=tytpIcEE5BdrkbkP9RhVEkIJt8Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I'll post more pics of it when it arrives at my place. 8)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:06:34 AM by Varanus »

sbell

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2013, 01:25:22 AM »
Are the Octonauts still around? I don't know of them, but I'd like that ray! I already have a giant ray from Go Diego.

And that other torpedo (or 'hammerhead shark' according to the seller) sure looks like a AAA but I've never ever seen it before. Someone really needs to find a real contact at that company and get a proper list!

Varanus

• Goannas Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2013, 02:00:41 AM »
Are the Octonauts still around? I don't know of them, but I'd like that ray! I already have a giant ray from Go Diego.

And that other torpedo (or 'hammerhead shark' according to the seller) sure looks like a AAA but I've never ever seen it before. Someone really needs to find a real contact at that company and get a proper list!

That Octonauts set is on Amazon for about $30, and it appears to be fairly common on ebay too, so I guess they are still around.

I agree, a proper AAA list from the company itself would be great!  Who knows what other little known creatures they've made! :o  Do they even have a website, and if not, then how do they distribute their products?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:03:26 AM by Varanus »

sbell

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2013, 02:03:58 AM »

That Octonauts set is on Amazon for about $30, and it appears to be fairly common on ebay too, so I guess they are still around.

I agree, a proper AAA list from the company itself would be great!  Who knows what other little known creatures they've made! :o

I've never even heard of or seen Octonauts--I can't believe (based on some searches) that those little sets are worth $25. It seems high.

And I think the problem so far with tracking down AAA is its unknown nature--it seems to be a company that does lots of things for lots of different distributors, but doesn't have much of a web presence on its own (or, that every business tries to name itself AAA and it's difficult to sort through them all)

postsaurischian

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
Frilled Shark  -  Chlamydoselachus anguineus

1. TAKARA TOMY A.R.T.S.  2. Epoch - Living Fossils (secret figure)  3. Colorata - Sharks DX box  4. Safari - Prehistoric Sealife toob

sbell

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2013, 03:32:23 PM »
And one more frilled shark: Kaiyodo ChocoEgg Animatales:

It seems that Chlamydoselachus is very popular in Japanese figures. Now when do we get our 6-gill or 7-gill sharks?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:34:05 PM by sbell »

postsaurischian

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2013, 03:38:18 PM »
 :D Cute! I want that one, too.

It's not being offered too often :-\.