Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals)  (Read 3466 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals)
« on: March 01, 2016, 11:53:50 PM »
Walk-around of the European wolf spider, Lycosa tarantula (Linnaeus, 1758) by Papo! This figure is sold under the English name, tarantula, a name typically reserved in English these days for mygalomorphs of the family Theraphosidae. However, this guy is the 'original tarantula', as indicated by its species epithet. Insect folklore, or so I remember, states that it was believed that if one was bitten by this spider, that individual would suffer from tarantism that can be cured by dancing the tarantella!

The figure. WOW. This is Papo's first arthropod, which means it's my first Papo figure (for those of you aware of my taxonomic specialties). It is my sixth wolf spider figure (including two versions by Bullyland, and one each by Takara TOMY, Funrise Toys, and Play Visions) and it is by far the BEST. The proportions, eye arrangement, joints, color are all spot-on. I do not know much about sexing spiders so I cannot tell its gender, but at 50 mm (body length), it is 1.67:1 for a large female and 2.5:1 for a large male.

The cephalothorax and abdomen are firm but the legs are quite soft and movable (but not posable).

I encourage everyone to go out and buy one! Not only because it's an amazing figure, but the success of sales could dictate whether or not Papo continues to make arthropods  ;D 8) (they are releasing a scorpion this year as well). Given Papo's flare for the dramatic, they are likely to focus on stingers and biters.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:07:49 PM by bmathison1972 »

Newt

• View Profile
Re: European Wolf Spider (Papo)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 02:15:31 AM »
Very nice figure! It's a female. Spiders are easy to sex - males almost always have enlarged pedipalps, like little boxing gloves.

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 02:23:14 AM »
Pretty cool figure, but I don't think I'm going to get drawn in on spiders now!

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:13:38 AM »
Ah, brilliant! :) By the way, mine should be here within a few hours. ^-^ So many good things to say about this figure, the leg joints seem to be correct, there's a nice texture suggesting an allover dense setation of body and legs and the position of the eyes - a key character in identifying spiders to family level - is correct, too. I'd agree with Newt, the figure obviously represents a female (well, most other spider figures do, too).

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 10:49:24 AM »
Very nice figure! It's a female. Spiders are easy to sex - males almost always have enlarged pedipalps, like little boxing gloves.

Ah yes! I knew about the palps! LOL. I also figured a female because of its more robust size (if I remember correctly, male lycosids can be rather slender)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:53:36 PM by bmathison1972 »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »
Pretty cool figure, but I don't think I'm going to get drawn in on spiders now!

C'mon Sean...feel the power of the Dark Side!  >:D LOL

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals)
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 07:08:21 PM »
I have recaptured these images for Postimage.

And I still think this is the BEST spider figure outside of Japanese manufacturers.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:37:37 PM by bmathison1972 »