Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Shrimp (Safari Ltd. - Incredible Creatures)  (Read 3382 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Shrimp (Safari Ltd. - Incredible Creatures)
« on: May 10, 2015, 10:53:59 PM »
Walk-around of the shrimp, gen. sp. by Safari LTD., Incredible Creatures (2015). The figure is too generic to ascribe to a specific species.

First thing first. This is an unusual figure. There is a lot wrong with it...but it also has an incredible charm I just cannot get over. And I am very very happy to have it. For a while, Safari was releasing crustaceans (or similar) almost annually, as part of their IC line: Sally lightfoot crab (2006), terrestrial hermit crab (2006), American lobster (2007), horseshoe crab (2008), blue crab (2010). Then they stopped for a five years before releasing this shrimp this year (2015).

The figure is roughly 100 mm across it's longest points (tip of the rostrum to where the 'tail' bends downward). The bulk of the body is one piece, with each side of legs and each antenna attached to the main body. The main antennae are smooth (would be nice if they were segmented, or ringed to appear segmented). The antennules (shorter, second pair of antennae) are lacking.

The number of abdominal segments (6) and pleopods attached to the abdomen (5) are correct. It is hard to determine if there are 5 pairs of primary legs (pereopods) and 1 branched maxilliped, as there should be, or 6 legs, with a maxilliped attached to it. In other words, not sure if the first leg-like structure represents a pereopod and a maxilliped, or a branched maxilliped; if the latter than the counts would be accurate. There are 6 'parts' to the uropods, but I do not know enough about the variation among 'shrimp' (not a taxomonic unit in itself) to know if that is correct or all or some (or none!).

Another downside to this figure is the color; shrimp and other crustaceans are usually not this shade of pink until after they are cooked.

Still despite the downsides of this figure, it is still a really cool little gem and I recommend it! Maybe I am also just excited because this is the first time in a few years Safari released an arthropod that wasn't 1) part of a TOOB, 2) a life cycle, or 3) a glow-in-the-dark re-release.

happier in the sea than on someone's dinner plate:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:00:03 PM by bmathison1972 »

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Re: Shrimp (Safari - Incredible Creatures)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 12:15:23 AM »
Really beautiful replica of this specie  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stargatedalek

• View Profile
Re: Shrimp (Safari Ltd. - Incredible Creatures)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:19:15 AM »
It definitely has its flaws, but its still a lovely piece nonetheless. This is one I hope to pick up this summer when I visit the States (not available yet in Canada).
Upcoming start-up figurine line, feedback wanted: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1991.new#new

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:28:28 AM »
Ah, now I realise that the body is translucent! :o Too bad, those anatomical errors keep me from getting one even if the body is nicely sculpted and I always appreciate larger figures. :-\

Edit:
There are 6 uropods, but I do not know enough about the variation among 'shrimp' (not a taxomonic unit in itself) to know if that is correct or all or some (or none!).
Like in all crustaceans, limbs are generally biramous (though one of the rami can be reduced) and the tail fan of this figure would suggest a triramous uropod which is not possible. I am also not aware of any malacostracans with a seemingly triramous uropod (e.g. due to a cleft endopod or something).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:42:43 AM by brontodocus »

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 11:06:45 PM »
It definitely has its flaws, but its still a lovely piece nonetheless. This is one I hope to pick up this summer when I visit the States (not available yet in Canada).

I literally just got them into my store last night! So they are in one location in Canada! I have to update the site though. (it has to do with the distributor in Canada--or really, the lack of one now, so it's all direct form the US, which many stores won't do).

And while I haven't had much time to admire anything (except the dragons; the kids each bought one already), I like the shrimp--as someone whose general knowledge of shrimp extends to their flavors...it seems good to me! I like the size especially.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »
I have recaptured images for this figure too.

I will probably re-do a couple CollectA figures as well...so bear with me as I get images back.