Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly (CollectA)  (Read 1193 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly (CollectA)
« on: April 16, 2015, 12:25:13 AM »
Walk-around of the small tortoiseshell butterfly, Aglais urticae  (Linnaeus, 1758) by CollectA.

The is a small nymphalid butterfly, widely distributed across the Palaearctic. This is a bold figure by CollectA, previously also made by Bullyland. Rarely do you get nymphalids that are not the monarch or in the genus Morpho!

This, for the most part, a very nice figure. But if you look at teh underside you get....SIX legs!!!! Oh, CollectA! Luckily they learned their lesson in time for their monarch figure (see my earlier walk-around). It is a bit stocky, but necessary for something as delicate as a butterfly. The paint job is fantastic and I love CollectA's textures!

The figure has a 68 mm wingspan, making it slightly larger than 1:1 (normal range, 45-62 mm).

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:23:33 PM by bmathison1972 »

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Re: Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly (CollectA)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 09:14:46 AM »
Well, we're almost getting used to Nymphalidae figures being made with six legs, I suppose... at least there seem to be much less replicas showing the correct number. It's quite interesting how CollectA chose this species, probably for the European market, since it is one of the most common butterflies here (well, no wonder, the caterpillars feed on common nettle like those of the Red Admiral and the European Peacock which are also very common).

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »
Well, we're almost getting used to Nymphalidae figures being made with six legs, I suppose... at least there seem to be much less replicas showing the correct number. It's quite interesting how CollectA chose this species, probably for the European market, since it is one of the most common butterflies here (well, no wonder, the caterpillars feed on common nettle like those of the Red Admiral and the European Peacock which are also very common).

yes I am sure their choice is because of its familiarity in Europe...and that's fine by me :). I was excited to see it and happy to get it. The vast majority of butterfly figures are 1) Morpho spp., 2) the monarch, 3) various swallowtails. Well, at least there is a lot of species variety among the swallowtails out there. But there are so many more nymphalids...and pierdids, hesperiids, lycaenids, etc etc etc

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 07:13:56 PM »
Really beautiful figure. Congrats  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 07:24:42 PM »
I have recaptured these images.