Author Topic: 'Dictyoptera' - Mantodea (mantids) + Blattodea (cockroaches and termites)  (Read 3922 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Time to start a taxonomic thread for the mantids, roaches, and termites. I'll start with my smaller figures, this of course not everything I have (esp. when you throw in the bin-style figures!).

ALL PHOTOBUCKET LINKS REMOVED
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 12:21:53 AM by bmathison1972 »

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
Very nice. I always run into problems with lighting on these kinds of figures--I often wind up with ones using a flash, no flash, and different ambient lighting. Sometimes it makes a difference. Sometimes the pictures are always [email protected] ;D

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Great figures, Blaine! :) I may add a few later (e.g. PV Blepharopsis mendica nymph and Kabaya Insect Directory Hymenopus coronatus) But I'm also quite envious about the Hissing Cockroaches. The K&M figure was part of a playset, wasn't it? I think I haven't seen it offered as a single figure, yet. Thinking of photos with or without flashlight, your awesome new dioramas provide a very dark background so I think you would usually have to use a good light source if you want to photograph the figures without flashlight. In most cases I use a flexible desk lamp with a 10.5 W LED bulb.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Really awesome post. I didnīt know that I can see differents figures of a lot of species of Mantis  :o.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Great figures, Blaine! :) I may add a few later (e.g. PV Blepharopsis mendica nymph and Kabaya Insect Directory Hymenopus coronatus) But I'm also quite envious about the Hissing Cockroaches. The K&M figure was part of a playset, wasn't it? I think I haven't seen it offered as a single figure, yet. Thinking of photos with or without flashlight, your awesome new dioramas provide a very dark background so I think you would usually have to use a good light source if you want to photograph the figures without flashlight. In most cases I use a flexible desk lamp with a 10.5 W LED bulb.

The K&M hissing roach was part of a set, but it was given to me individually via trade, so I do not know if this is from the tube or polyvinyl bag set. There is a slight size difference, I believe, but without both for comparison I am not sure.

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables

The K&M hissing roach was part of a set, but it was given to me individually via trade, so I do not know if this is from the tube or polyvinyl bag set. There is a slight size difference, I believe, but without both for comparison I am not sure.

It would make sense that it was part of the Madagscar tube, which is now discontinued.

stemturtle

• View Profile

King termite (Funrise Toys), total length about 2 3/16 inches or 5.5 cm.

This is the only figure of a termite that I have; order Blattodea, infraorder Isoptera. It is one of 24 figures from the World of Nature Insect Collection, 1989. The scientific name was not provided. I was lucky to find this set on eBay to get the whip scorpion and sheep tick. Thanks to bmathison1972 for informing us about this brand.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Very cool termite figure, stemturtle! :) Some of those Funrise figures are really good.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Termites are uncommon figures  ^-^

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 'Dictyoptera' - Mantodea (mantids) + Blattodea (cockroaches and termites)
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
My happy termite family: Funrise Toys, Wild Kratts, and an unknown figure (that was propped on a set of wheels before I removed them)

PHOTOBUCKET LINK REMOVED
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 12:22:22 AM by bmathison1972 »

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 02:31:02 PM »
I have the same termite with wheels. It is my first termite figure.

BlueKrono

• "We're being hunted."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »
My random insects, including some mantids
I like turtles.