Author Topic: (Insects)Toy cicadas, leafhopper's or fulgorids?  (Read 2436 times)

Hercules beetle

• Anything big and bugs!
    • View Profile
(Insects)Toy cicadas, leafhopper's or fulgorids?
« on: October 17, 2014, 05:32:27 PM »
I want to find some and know what ones you have. I have a small brown cicada, but i dont have any sources to post photos from.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: (Insects)Toy cicadas, leafhopper's or fulgorids?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 06:08:23 PM »
Cicadas are commonly made. I have several from the Japanese/gashapon makers including Kaiyodo (ChocoQ Animatales; Natural Monuments of Japan; etc), Furuta (Insect Science), Yujin made a couple in their Insects of Japan series, Bandai did a life cycle, and Rement. I also have an Australian species from the Cadbury-Yowies line.
Also, cicadas are common in 'bin-style' figures (like the kind you get from drug and dollar stores).

fulgoroids and treehoppers are scarcer but the PlayVisions insect set had both (I don't have either unfortunately).

Hercules beetle

• Anything big and bugs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 06:20:51 PM »
Thanks for the info.
I have always been obsessed with lantern bugs, i dont know why, but i just have.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 09:07:22 PM »
I have the PV fulgoroid:

It's most likely representing Pyrops intricata. I never measured it but the length should be around 50 or 60 mm, so it's more or less life size. :) I believe I have the membracid treehopper somewhere, too, but never photographed it (and I don't know where it is... :-[ ).

Edit 2017-01-21: Updated image urls.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:12:18 AM by brontodocus »

Hercules beetle

• Anything big and bugs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 09:16:43 PM »
I have the PV fulgoroid:

It's most likely representing Pyrops intricata. I never measured it but the length should be around 50 or 60 mm, so it's more or less life size. :) I believe I have the membracid treehopper somewhere, too, but never photographed it (and I don't know where it is... :-[ ).
I dont want that... I NEED THAT!

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 10:18:36 PM »
there were some play visions cicadas made, I have them and they are very nice
they also made some fireflies (I assume thats what you mean by lantern bug)

if I can find them I'll try and get a pic
Upcoming start-up figurine line, feedback wanted: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1991.new#new

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »
there were some play visions cicadas made, I have them and they are very nice
they also made some fireflies (I assume thats what you mean by lantern bug)

if I can find them I'll try and get a pic

'lantern bugs' are a group of fulgoroid planthoppers (very much like the PlayVisions one Andre posted above)

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 11:22:39 PM »
thanks
I'd never heard the term before
Upcoming start-up figurine line, feedback wanted: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1991.new#new

widukind

• Andreas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 09:54:16 AM »
I have the PV fulgoroid:

I dont want that... I NEED THAT!
I will pm you :)

BlueKrono

• "We're being hunted."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 04:47:57 AM »
I was wondering if a Fulgora laternaria had ever been made. This is my favorite insect, and I did my final project on it in my college entomology class. I wish the picture Brontodocus apparently posted was still visible, as I'd also be interested in leafhoppers and other close relatives. A Google search for the PV figure turns up squat.
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 02:35:02 PM »
I was wondering if a Fulgora laternaria had ever been made. This is my favorite insect, and I did my final project on it in my college entomology class. I wish the picture Brontodocus apparently posted was still visible, as I'd also be interested in leafhoppers and other close relatives. A Google search for the PV figure turns up squat.

Interestingly I have the PV fulgorid en route to me now. I plan on doing one of my detailed reviews of the entire set when it arrives. I actually have the text written already lol just need to snap pics when i get the figures.

BlueKrono

• "We're being hunted."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »
Wonderful. Eagerly awaiting that. Do you think your source would have another one of that figure?
I like turtles.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, the photos should be visible again! :)

BlueKrono

• "We're being hunted."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »
I have the PV fulgoroid:

Edit 2017-01-21: Updated image urls.

Awesome! One of the Asian species... I've seen a lot of cool insects on this site, but now I have a new #1 most wanted. It's pretty weird no one's made the Alligator Bug yet. I have a real one though. I nicknamed him "The Most Delicate Thing I Own" although he's in contention for that title with my freeze-dried Cecropia caterpillar and my paper thin dried Draco lizards.
I like turtles.