Author Topic: The taxidermy discussion thread  (Read 6103 times)

animaltoyforum

• Dr admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Plesiosaur Directory
Re: The taxidermy discussion thread
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 06:26:03 PM »
There are already the plasticizing travelling exhibits, where people (and animals) are injected with plastics, often after being opened, sectioned, or otherwise made visible internally. I havne't been in a place to see thes exhibits, but they are apparently very popular, and incredibly informative (although, of course, not without controversy).

As far as I know, most 'exhibits' are volunteers/donations or J Doe's. I can't imagine taxidermy would be much different.

The Body Works exhibition I mentioned is one such example. I saw it when it came to Dublin several years ago. Fascinating stuff, but with a strong focus on humal biology, especially internal anatomy, and the 'specimens' are obviously not meant to represent living individuals. They are plasticised and dissected. Taxidermy is different because it is a superficial representation of the living organism(s). Maybe the intention behind it is different.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:26:21 PM by animaltoyforum »

animaltoyforum

• Dr admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Plesiosaur Directory
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 06:31:23 PM »
So like a real wax museum? I would hold no objection so long as the people agreed to it before they died, like organ donating, but skin donating.

Yeah. Sort of like Madame Tussauds but with a real person.  :-\

Dilopho

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 10:58:34 PM »
I can stand some types of taxidermy.
I own a dried out starfish and some bugs in resin. That's the type I like.

But I have a fear of mannequins so the stuffed type freaks me out!

I recently went to an exhibition called Animals Inside Out by Bodyworlds- many animals such as elephants and bears and even a human taxidermied without skin. Absolutely incredibly, and absolutely terrifying too.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 06:20:45 PM »
I recently went to an exhibition called Animals Inside Out by Bodyworlds- many animals such as elephants and bears and even a human taxidermied without skin. Absolutely incredibly, and absolutely terrifying too.
Oh, yes, Body Worlds - that's by Gunther von Hagens. Originally, the exhibits were exclusively human bodies. There is a lot of controversy about his exhibitions by the way.

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 10:04:36 PM »
Are the actual organs preserved or are they partially recreated (like how fish are mounted)?
Upcoming start-up figurine line, feedback wanted: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1991.new#new

Elephas Maximus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 03:12:23 PM »
With plastination, all organs are preserved. Except the eyeballs, which don't look 'alive' enough and usually changed to artificial eyes in finished specimens.