Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: The minimum coexistence - Microbe (TAKARA TOMY A.R.T.S.)  (Read 8241 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The minimum coexistence - Microbe (TAKARA TOMY A.R.T.S.)
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 05:54:21 PM »
I did a review of this set for STS as I see we already had one here. However, those images were lost due to Photoshop. I am copying my review here as well:

Review of the complete set of The Minimum Coexistence: Microbe by Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (2013). While I mainly collect arthropods (and there are two in this set), as a professional microbiologist I cannot resist plankton and protozoa :).

This set contains 6 figures, 5 plus a SECRET. They are all typical gashapon-sized. Four are solid; two need minimal assembly. All six also come with a base (although only one figure has a secure means of attachment) that has the Latin and Japanese names and the size.

Not all the figures are unique, but also none are common (the most common one has only been made four other times).

On to the figures!

1. Leptocinclis acus. [marketed as Euglena acus]
Euglena acus is now in the genus Leptocinclis (although I have to admit, the morphology here does look like the traditional E. gracilis). The small Epoch Figure (Ecology of Plankton) is also L acus. I also have Euglena gracilis by Kaiyodo (Microcosmos), as well as a model by EISCO labs.

2. Paramecium caudatum.
This one has also been made a couple times, by Epoch (Ecology of Plankton) and a model by EISCO labs.

3. Spirogyra.
This alga is, to my knowledge, unique (as would be most algal figures I guess...).

4. Closterium moniliferum.
Another unique alga!

5. Daphnia pulex.
This is the 'commonly-made' species in the set, with four other figures by Epoch (Ecology of Plankton) and Kayiodo (Aqua Night Museum; Microcosmos; Enoshima Aquarium).

6. Hypsibius dujardini.
The pride of the set, a tardigrade! I have only four tardigrade figures, but each represent different species!

[/i][/i]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:26:28 PM by bmathison1972 »

Beetle guy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 06:06:34 PM »
I have this tardigrade , two of Tomy Takara deep sea sets (dark and light version of same species) and the Capsule Q one. I wonder what is your fourth species.
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 08:10:50 PM »
I have this tardigrade , two of Tomy Takara deep sea sets (dark and light version of same species) and the Capsule Q one. I wonder what is your fourth species.

the fourth is by Shapeways. Check out Bug of the Day

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 11:36:04 PM »

Wait a minute... Blaine, I thought you had the Agatsuma Entertainment tardigrade, too? :o
Nice to see we have photos back in this walk-around, by the way! 8)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 11:50:12 PM »

Wait a minute... Blaine, I thought you had the Agatsuma Entertainment tardigrade, too? :o
Nice to see we have photos back in this walk-around, by the way! 8)

I do. My 4: Agatsuma, Shapeways, Takara, Kaiyodo. I don't have the two color variants of the Agatsuma figure that BeetleGuy mentions, so I have 4 figures, one of each sculpt and species.

Beetle guy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 05:34:35 PM »
This is mine collection of tardigrades. The Kaiyodo CapsuleQ one, the two colour variations of Agatsuma (the light one is really nice to and released when Agatsuma changed into Takara) and the Tomy Takara one.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:50:07 PM by Beetle guy »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »
here is the additional Shapeways figure:

Beetle guy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »
Looks good!