Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Bandai tropical fish: characin  (Read 116 times)

Halichoeres

• View Profile
Bandai tropical fish: characin
« on: January 10, 2018, 07:52:37 PM »
Bandai's tropical fish set consists of 15 varieties, but only 3 sculpts. This thread is for the characin sculpt, which represents 4 species (and one domestic strain) by changing the paint job.

First up: Tucanoichthys tucanoi, a truly minute tetra species endemic to Uaupés River in Brazil. It's named after a group of indigenous tribes, the Tucano. I don't think the species has a standardized common name, but most people I know call it the Tucano tetra.

The maximum recorded length is 1.7 cm, so these figures, despite being only 2.8 cm long, are almost twice life size. Annoyingly, they're missing the adipose fin. Every tetra species in this set should have one. Sure, it's going to be small on these tiny characids, but it should still be visible.

I'll do the other characid species soon. I mostly collect prehistoric figures, and I would find it pretty annoying in that context if a company simply repainted a figure and called it a new species. But the truth it a lot of freshwater fish differ in extremely minor ways externally, apart from their coloration. You'd need geometric morphometrics (or tooth or fin ray counts, depending) to tell them apart with all color information removed. So I don't bedgrudge Bandai the re-use of this mold, but I still begrudge them the missing adipose fin.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:12:26 AM by Halichoeres »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bandai tropical fish: characin
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:00:39 AM »
Yeah, Tim! So glad you are contributing to reviews here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:47:46 AM »
Knowing that this is an unusual species makes it more interesting for me...but knowing that such an important physical feature was left off kind of makes it lower priority. Too bad, since Bandai is usually so good at this sort of thing!

Halichoeres

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 01:05:48 AM »
Yeah, Tim! So glad you are contributing to reviews here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha, well thanks for the enthusiastic welcome!

Knowing that this is an unusual species makes it more interesting for me...but knowing that such an important physical feature was left off kind of makes it lower priority. Too bad, since Bandai is usually so good at this sort of thing!

At least it's not a really prominent appendage like the anal fin [cough cough CollectA Leedsicthys cough].

sbell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:16:27 AM »

At least it's not a really prominent appendage like the anal fin [cough cough CollectA Leedsicthys cough].

WHAAAAAAA!? :o I didn't even notice! To be fair, I haven't done much with it; I've been emptying and resetting my shelves, so it's just been kind of sittig around while I decide how to organize.

I guess I'll just stare at my giant 1/40 model Leedsichthys instead! ;D

Halichoeres

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 03:07:18 AM »

WHAAAAAAA!? :o I didn't even notice! To be fair, I haven't done much with it; I've been emptying and resetting my shelves, so it's just been kind of sittig around while I decide how to organize.

Stare a little longer and you'll see that it too is missing its anal fin, and instead has pelvic fins, which most pachycormids lacked. (Granted, that portion of Leedischthys in particular is not preserved, to my knowledge.)

sbell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 03:22:59 AM »

Stare a little longer and you'll see that it too is missing its anal fin, and instead has pelvic fins, which most pachycormids lacked. (Granted, that portion of Leedischthys in particular is not preserved, to my knowledge.)

So it is...but it's still fun to stare at!