Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Scorpion Anatomy Model (4D Master)  (Read 92 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Scorpion Anatomy Model (4D Master)
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:25:59 AM »
Walk-around and review of the Scorpion Anatomy Model by 4D Master (2009). The model represents the emperor scorpion, Pandinus imperator (Koch, 1842). I have been eyeing this model for a while and finally decided to get it when I could get one on eBay from the US. There is a tarantula as well (not to mention several non-arthropods including a snail, mammals, reptiles, and possibly more) [I thought brontodocus had reviewed one of them but if so I cannot find it].

The model comes disassembled in 29 pieces. A few pieces are clear to view the interior anatomy. This is a very high-quality model, made of vary hard, high-quality plastic. It takes some strength to get some of the pieces in, but it a tight fit once secure. The pincers on the end of the pedipalps have a ball-and-socket connection and the claws themselves are articulated. The detail is superior and is probably the best emperor scorpion model/figure available (we'll see how it compares to the Kaiyodo Sofubi Toy Box model later this year). This was clearly designed to be used as a display model and teaching aid, at a level of quality to be used at the university level! The figure is also VERY big (I was astonished by the size of the box it was shipped in!); I did not measure it, but it appears to be about twice the size of the Safari Smithsonian figure, which would make it 4:1 for a large specimen.

The figure comes with a small base and a peg with which to attach it. It also comes with a booklet with information of scorpions (anatomy, biology, etc.) and assembly instructions.

After seeing the quality, I am tempted to invest in the tarantula next, but not sure if I have room right now for another of this size ;-)

On to the pics:

Beetle guy

• View Profile
Re: Scorpion Anatomy Model (4D Master)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 10:19:19 AM »
Wow!! That looks so much more detailed than the anatomymodel of A. Dichotoma I have from Famemaster.
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 12:00:05 PM »
Oh, I was depating on whether or not to get the tarantula but I might have to get an A. dichotoma! And I see you changed your avatar?

Beetle guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:23:40 PM »
Oh, I was depating on whether or not to get the tarantula but I might have to get an A. dichotoma! And I see you changed your avatar?

Yes I did  8) The A. Dichotama is nice, but again not as detailed. There is a D. hercules as well. I think Andre has it.
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 01:35:10 PM »

Yes I did  8) The A. Dichotama is nice, but again not as detailed. There is a D. hercules as well. I think Andre has it.

I thought Andre had reviewed one but I couldn't find it. I'm sure once he sees this thread he'll elaborate:)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
An impressive model, and so well detailed! :) Yes, I've had an eye on this model for some years, too, but it was always just too expensive including shipping...

I thought Andre had reviewed one but I couldn't find it. I'm sure once he sees this thread he'll elaborate:)

I had posted a few photos of it in the Coleoptera thread (they're not yet hosted on postimage so the links will not work anymore) but there wasn't a full walk-around. I think the photos I have left would probably not justify making a walk-around from them and the model itself has several repairs now... :-[ Quality wise I have to say that the Brachypelma smithi and the scorpion are more detailed than the (older) D. hercules. Sometimes I still regret not having bought the Helix pomatia, yet, that one seems to be an excellent model (and teaching resource), too!

Edit: Ah, Marcel, great new avatar! 8)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:08:33 PM by brontodocus »