Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Chalcosoma moellenkampi (SEGA big beetles)  (Read 76 times)

Beetle guy

• View Profile
Chalcosoma moellenkampi (SEGA big beetles)
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:32:10 PM »
The SEGA big beetles (note: not an official series name, just to label it) came in blisterpack and some with a plastic strap holding a information card (like this one).
Many beetles were produced and sometimes with alternative or altered molds for particular species. The style of the series figurines differs so much that they can hardly be seen as a whole. Most of them were released from 2006 to 2009 and pretty hard to find.

I do think to know all of them made by now. I did not keep/collect all, because some were a bit badly made to my opinion, focusing mainly on realistic figurines.

The quality of the molds differs hugely in these big beetles. Some look less realistic and/or very bulky, others are just great and some can even compete with the DeAgostini beetles (64 models from real beetles, the best in beetle figurines there is) the SEGA DX_series and certianly some F-toy ones.

Such is this one; the Moellenkampi beetle (Chalcosoma moellenkampi) it's one of the large species of dynastid rhinoceros beetles from Southeast Asia. I got it in a huge lot of more than 1.000 beetles some years ago.

The model is, with exception from the missing gold/green gleaming elytra, spot on! It is one of my very favorites. It has very realistic legs as well, not the bulky ones like some of the beetles in the DX-series (see my walkarounds on them). It is a one-piece figurine, no assembling needed. The legs are bendable but not poseable. From the horns to the tip of the abdomen it measures: 9 cm, so scale 1:1 for a reasonably big male.

on to the pic's..

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:14:41 PM by Beetle guy »

To beetle or not to beetle.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Re: Chalcosoma moellenkampi (SEGA big beetles)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »
Excellent! :) Yes,  the legs look nicely gracile with sharp details.