Author Topic: Safari - New for 2018  (Read 2947 times)

Rossano

• View Profile
Re: Safari - New for 2018
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »
True, sbell. I did not comment on the porcupine because it is really uncommentable. I think that a releavant part of the odd effect comes from the painting. The snout looks well made, and the quills made in that way could have given a good or at least acceptable result if they were painted with more detailed care. That confusing white brushing is really not working.

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 09:40:36 PM »
True, sbell. I did not comment on the porcupine because it is really uncommentable. I think that a releavant part of the odd effect comes from the painting. The snout looks well made, and the quills made in that way could have given a good or at least acceptable result if they were painted with more detailed care. That confusing white brushing is really not working.

I live around porcupines. They don't look like that at all. The quills don't fold in weird scales--it should look like the animal is a big, moving brush.

Most of the quills are hidden under a soft coat of long, wispy guard hairs--and I've never seen one that dark.

Rossano

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 12:45:26 AM »
Ok, in my area only live hedhogs, and I dont' know how porcupines look like from real life.

Anyway, terrible model.

And anyway, I am amazed by the American mastodon, so cool!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:45:51 AM by Rossano »

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 04:26:34 AM »
I don't think it's that bad, it looks more like long fur clumping together than quills, but the same could be said for the real deal. It would be hard to do better without making it huge.
Upcoming start-up figurine line, feedback wanted: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1991.new#new

sauroid

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »
that porcupine looks like a misshapen discolored bath sponge

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 11:58:12 AM »
I don't think it's that bad, it looks more like long fur clumping together than quills, but the same could be said for the real deal. It would be hard to do better without making it huge.

I agree. It's a tough morphology to capture in a figure, esp so small. I like it!

Halichoeres

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 05:44:34 AM »
Updated the first post with photos; please let me know if there are any errors/omissions!

I have a lot of sympathy for anyone trying to make a porcupine toy. I don't know how to make it look realistic and not flimsy. Maybe like a Koosh ball?

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 12:47:39 AM »
Updated the first post with photos; please let me know if there are any errors/omissions!

I have a lot of sympathy for anyone trying to make a porcupine toy. I don't know how to make it look realistic and not flimsy. Maybe like a Koosh ball?

Schleich made a pretty good attempt at an African porcupine...definitely miles ahead of the Safari abomination

The Safari porcupine's quality reminds me of the first Safari attempt at Suchomimus...it's almost impossible to tell how it got past quality control.

Halichoeres

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 06:09:57 PM »
I agree that that Schleich porcupine looks better, but it's also less ambitious. An African porcupine is just easier to sculpt than an American because it has these big hollow spines that stick way out, unlike the somewhat hidden spines Erethizon. A South American would be easier still. Anyway, I don't collect modern stuff, so I won't get it, but I'm having a hard time imagining a good way to render an American porcupine in particular without making the production cost-prohibitive.

Halichoeres

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »
Added today's batch to the front page. Kind of a mixed bag. Some of these are real beauties, but the tabby cat, for example, is startlingly crude.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 08:07:07 PM »
Added today's batch to the front page. Kind of a mixed bag. Some of these are real beauties, but the tabby cat, for example, is startlingly crude.

Thanks for keeping up with this, Halichoeres!

I will echo my sentiments from STS here:

Yeah the tabby is just a repaint from an older model, that was also gray (as well as orange), and doesn't like specifically like a tabby (unless it's the mackerel tabby). The Komodo dragon also seemed like an unnecessary remake (and not as good as some other brands).

I do like the Ongole cow (got to love exotic cow breeds).

The IC figures are nice. I like the frogfish and songbirds are a great idea for the IC line, esp. since some of them could easily be made 1:1

They clearly still have more to reveal, including a spiny lobster and scorpion. I am curious if those are TOOB figures or in the IC line. There are also more prehistorics to reveal, including at least one more sauropod and a ceratopsian.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:09:35 PM by bmathison1972 »

Halichoeres

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
Updated the first page! New today:

Sumatran rhinoceros
Babirusa
Bison
Przewalski's horse (oddly, they put it in the horse line rather than the wildlife line)
Tinker horse
Siamese cat
Ameraucana chicken
Sei whale
Flying frog
Corn snake
GLM barn owl
GLM horse
GLM squid

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 09:35:25 PM »
Looks like they still have at least 2 arthropods to reveal (saving the best for last lol)
Also no other TOOBS yet?

Varanus

• Goannas Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 05:14:17 AM »
A lot of interesting figures this year!  My favorites are the Corn Snake, frogfish, Sumatran Rhino, Muskox, Leopard Seal, Vaquita, and Whale Toob.  The Sei Whale is neat too, but a little off looking for some reason.

Oddly enough, I think I'm most excited for the Good Luck Mini Reef Squid.  It'll make excellent prey for hungry marine reptiles!  >:D

JoeyTheAnimalLover

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
I am very excited for the Sei whale!

animaltoyforum

• Dr admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Plesiosaur Directory
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »
Babirusa!  8)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »
Looking at the blurry Poleroids, and the 'hints' Poleroids, the following still need to be revealed:

scorpion
spiny lobster
owl (with ear tufts, so it's not the barn owl GLM)
marmot
Hyaenodon/thylacine-looking thing
tiger-striped sauropod
falcon/hawk (African species, apparently)
possibly two cartilaginous fish (based on suspect fins)
koala (or something with an ear like a koala)
plus others not hinted at (any more TOOBs?)

Halichoeres

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2017, 04:10:47 PM »
Looking at the blurry Poleroids, and the 'hints' Poleroids, the following still need to be revealed:

scorpion
spiny lobster
owl (with ear tufts, so it's not the barn owl GLM)
marmot
Hyaenodon/thylacine-looking thing
tiger-striped sauropod
falcon/hawk (African species, apparently)
possibly two cartilaginous fish (based on suspect fins)
koala (or something with an ear like a koala)
plus others not hinted at (any more TOOBs?)

Man, I hope so. Three of the four Toobs they've revealed so far are fantasy themed.

Rossano

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »
I like the Sei Whale, really good and a good choice in the scale, it will fit properly amid my other models. It is only a bit too regular in the colours, most pictures show darker-lighter patterns made with stripes and lines around the head that look quite recognizable, while here it looks a lot like a blue whale.

Babirusa and pigmy hippo, I love a lot the choice of the species, but the results look average to say the least, Collecta's versions look way more well made. The same goes for the Sumatran Rhino, with the difference that I don't know a better version of other major producers.

undi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 06:57:55 PM »
Hi, can I find these animals at the zoo in Zurich?