Author Topic: Recent acquisitions  (Read 430822 times)

sauroid

• View Profile
Re: Recent acquisitions
« Reply #1600 on: December 10, 2017, 02:38:34 PM »
glad to see you in the forum again Dr. Andre!

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: December 18, 2017, 11:48:14 PM »
Bounty of beautiful butterflies for Blaine :). Acquired over the last couple weeks.

First, these are from a set of 10. The seller had many models (they are thin, with magnets) and you bought 10 and got 10 random models. The models in the publicity shot looked good but when I got my 10, while they all had realistic patterns, the colors were random (e.g., a morpho where the blue was pink instead)! I only saved these three as they are somewhat colored like they should be (luckily the set was only a couple USD so I didn't waste much money). The Junonia (ex: Kallima) ansorgei at least it closest to what it should look like. The Papilio demodocus has green maculae instead of cream/yellow. The third I think is a poorly-pained Danaus genutia, although it could be another Danaus...or a pierid mimic...or...

Next more feves! These came with French names, and some folks on STS has helped me confirm IDs based on French translations (a couple are too generic):
left to right, top to bottom:

1. Le Polygone, satyr comma, Polygonia satyrus
2. Le noctuelle, Erebidae, gen. sp.[noctuelle is apparently a generic term for noctuid moths, Erebidae, formerly in Noctuidae]
3. l'Argus vert, green hairstreak, Callophyrus rubi
4. Le cuivre, copper butterfly, Lycaeninae, gen. sp. [form does not fit for lycaenids, however]
5. L'exotique, ?
6. Le maculinea, Alcon blue, Phengaris alcon
7. Le tigre, Canadian swallowtail, Papilio canadensis
8. L'azure, common blue, Polyommatus icarus
9. Le paon de nuit, small emperor moth, Saturnia pavonia [this figure is a good size for for the Kaiyodo Souvenirs Entomologiques figures!]
10. Le Coliade, orange sulfur, Colias eurytheme

Lastly 8 Fascinations metal kits. Normally I do not do metal kits, but since these come realistically-colored, I thought I would give them a try. Eight North American species but at least the Polygonia comma is a new species for me! I will do a review once I have them assembled.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: December 23, 2017, 05:55:02 PM »
A couple new things.

First an AMAZING life-sized emperor scorpion sculpture (not figure/toy) by Verones. Murky day today so I don't have the best lighting in my apartment; the detail is amazing.

Second a Lucanus maculifemoratus model kit by IMAI [hey Marcel, the other three in the set are D. hercules, A. dichotoma, and P. giraffa]. I found this on eBay when hunting down Beetle Guy's Lucanus capreolus kit (which I'd still rather have LOL). I will do a walk-around once it is completed.

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #1603 on: December 31, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »
So to end 2017, I cam across one more thing! (cross post from STS)

At a Dollar Tree, no less! Obviously some of these are yet another batch of reissued Prior (the 'bala' shark, the crab)--but some aren't (that seahorse is different, for example)

Overall, not too much to speak of--except I found yet another Climatius!

I've now got quite the school of these...!

But there are a couple others that I could use a hand with species ID's on--I'm not much for typical fish, especially marine ones.

And then, because I wanted the species and they don't exist (yet?) I took some sub-standard Replica Toy Fish figures (they were less-than perfect condition) and turned them into new species!

First, a V1 (unreleased) brook trout (looks more like a Splake to me) became a Bull trout (I hadn't noticed until I was painting that the brook trout dorsal fin is totally wrong...but I did at least smooth away the spines from the adipose fin):

Original:

And a northern pike beacame an Amur pike! Which, to me, should be called a dalmation pike. They are white or grey with black spots and blotches! And after the fact, I realized that the proportions of one of the muskellunge figures would have been better...oh well.

Original:

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: December 31, 2017, 03:43:16 PM »
The first unidentified fish looks like it could be a California Sheepshead wrasse.
Upcoming start-up figurine line, feedback wanted: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1991.new#new

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: December 31, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »
The first unidentified fish looks like it could be a California Sheepshead wrasse.

that first green one could also be a crude mahi mahi.

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #1606 on: December 31, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »

that first green one could also be a crude mahi mahi.

I thought of the Mahi mahi, but the dorsal fin originates too far back.

The wrasse is a possibility, but not sure about a sheephead.