Author Topic: Lovely Salamanders  (Read 33618 times)

stargatedalek

• View Profile
Re: Lovely Salamanders
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2017, 08:29:33 PM »
I have that and a complementary marine set, I had never known the name or brand before.

Unfortunately I've lost most of them since then, but there were some very interesting choices in both sets. I don't actually remember that yellow spotted salamander at all.

The salamanders don't give a good reference for just how detailed these tiny little things are.
Upcoming start-up figurine line, feedback wanted: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1991.new#new

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2017, 09:59:39 PM »
We include the caecilians on the salamander thread because the two figures from COG are the only examples of extant apodans. My set is called Itsty Bitsy Bucket of Reptiles. Thanks to sbell for posting the photos. Let's mention an extinct species of Gymnophiona too.

Eocaecilia micropodia () (Shapeways)

Eocaecilia, from the Jurassic of Arizona, is available on Shapeways . It has some features that are lacking in the caecilians from COG.
The snout is pointed, there is the hint of a mouth, and there is the suggestion of tentacles between the eyes and nostrils.

Is that the same series as K&M's Itsy Bitsy Bucket of... series? I ask because they have an insect bucket I have seen but not yet pursued.

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2017, 04:15:09 AM »
We include the caecilians on the salamander thread because the two figures from COG are the only examples of extant apodans. My set is called Itsty Bitsy Bucket of Reptiles. Thanks to sbell for posting the photos. Let's mention an extinct species of Gymnophiona too.

Eocaecilia micropodia () (Shapeways)

Eocaecilia, from the Jurassic of Arizona, is available on Shapeways . It has some features that are lacking in the caecilians from COG.
The snout is pointed, there is the hint of a mouth, and there is the suggestion of tentacles between the eyes and nostrils.

Is that the same series as K&M's Itsy Bitsy Bucket of... series? I ask because they have an insect bucket I have seen but not yet pursued.

I've had several of the COG buckets (bought at a dollar store) and itsy buckets; they use the same buckets, but generally not he same figures.

And yes, the marine animals were also pretty unique--as were the dinosaurs (Montanoceratops!). But I don't have most of them anymore...

Also, I do have the Eocaecilia as well, but I figured someone would have a painted one!

PeGe

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2017, 06:01:24 AM »
Thanks! Now i need that COG collection, where can i find it? Any hint appreciated ;)

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »
PeGe, I found the COG Cool Reptiles set of 16 on eBay UK about 4 or 5 years ago after several months of searching. The set was used and in a baggie, so I did not receive any official packaging. The seller called it Itsy Bitsy Bucket of Reptiles. A google search does not turn up this set from Wild Republic, although there are several other topical sets still on the market. If it is out of production, a lengthy search may be necessary. Good luck.  :)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2017, 03:21:40 PM »
I found the Itsy Bitsies Insects and bought 'em--I don't think I have figures from that set, but I guess I'll find out. They look generic but if they are smaller than typical Toy Major-style figures than they should be new for me.

PeGe

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »
Okay, thanks. Well, another thing to hunt for,... :-[

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2017, 08:55:04 AM »
PeGe, that's a stupendous collection of salamander figures! 8)
Yesterday, i found the best fire salamander figurine ever on ebay, and someone bid me out,..i didn't even have the chance to find out what brand it was,...Maybe even someone who reads and/or writes here caught it,..argh:D
I was wondering since you have the Safari Ltd Fire Salamander - which figure could be better than that? Unless the listing you've seen was a SOMSO model? But if it was something different... you got me curious about the possibility that there may be another brilliant toy figure of a Fire Salamander.

A few weeks ago I was finally able to get one of those big K&M salamanders at a shop in the Zoo in Dortmund, they had two versions, Tiger and Red Salamander, both with the annoying forked tongue. I bought the Tiger Salamander. Wait, it's not shown in this thread? I'll need a photo of mine, soon...

sbell

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2017, 05:50:57 PM »
A few weeks ago I was finally able to get one of those big K&M salamanders at a shop in the Zoo in Dortmund, they had two versions, Tiger and Red Salamander, both with the annoying forked tongue. I bought the Tiger Salamander. Wait, it's not shown in this thread? I'll need a photo of mine, soon...

I know I have seen all 3 of the large and the medium; I have put up photos of the two former and three latter that I have. Don't recall the third one--if it is a tiger, that would be kind of neat, since they don't actually show up much as figures!

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »

I know I have seen all 3 of the large and the medium; I have put up photos of the two former and three latter that I have. Don't recall the third one--if it is a tiger, that would be kind of neat, since they don't actually show up much as figures!

Well, so I'll just show how mine looks like... not the best representation, obviously, but still:

It differs a lot from the one stemturtle showed in his walk-around here: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1283.0

sbell

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »

Well, so I'll just show how mine looks like... not the best representation, obviously, but still:

It differs a lot from the one stemturtle showed in his walk-around here: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1283.0

I don't think they always had the best quality control on their paint jobs! But I seem to recall that the one I saw was even more green.