Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Japanese Biddie (Furuta - Insect Science)  (Read 1836 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Japanese Biddie (Furuta - Insect Science)
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:38:55 AM »
I have not done any walk-arounds for Odonata yet, so here is one for the Japanese biddie, Anotogaster sieboldii Selys, 1854 by Furuta, Insect Science, Figures 03 (adult) and 03b (nymph).

This is the largest species of dragonfly native to Japan. It is non uncommonly made as figures. In addition to the nymph and adult here, Yujin (Insects of Japan) also did a nymph and adult. Kaiyodo (Choco Q Animatales) and Rement also did adults. In addition, several bin-style figures are clearly modeled after this, or related, cordulegastrids. The dragonflies by CollectA and Bullyland (re-release, for the latter) also appear to be based on cordulegastrids.

The adult is 70 mm long with a 105 mm wingspan, making it just under 1:1. The nymph is 30 mm which could represent 1:1 for a younger instar. The wings are soft and the venation was clearly printed, which is fine as it means accuracy :). The Yujin figures are probably more realistic, but these are nice nontheless (plus I wanted to review something from this series). The entire Insect Science series can be seen here: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~CH2M-NITU/sciencee.htm

in the aquatic diorama:

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Re: Japanese Biddie (Furuta - Insect Science)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »
Nice figures! :) Yes, representations of Anotogaster sieboldii are quite a few. My favourites are the imago and larva from Yujin but it's always good to see that other manufacturers made larvae, too.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »
Really cool figures  ^-^. Your collection of bugs is awesome  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 01:08:39 PM »
Really cool figures  ^-^. Your collection of bugs is awesome  ^-^.

it will be more awesome in a couple weeks  ;)

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 03:23:42 PM »
Sorry to bump this topic but I'm considering getting this and some others in the series and I'm curious what material they're made of. You mentioned the wings were soft but what about the bodies? Are they hard like say a Safari ltd figure or they harder and more brittle like Kaiyodo?
Upcoming start-up figurine line, feedback wanted: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1991.new#new

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
Sorry to bump this topic but I'm considering getting this and some others in the series and I'm curious what material they're made of. You mentioned the wings were soft but what about the bodies? Are they hard like say a Safari ltd figure or they harder and more brittle like Kaiyodo?

more like Kaiyodo; I would not call them 'playable' but still come very highly recommended.