Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Short-finned pilot whale (Kaiyodo - Aquatales)  (Read 3823 times)

~The Mandarin~

• Kaiyodo, Kitan Club & Yujin collector
    • View Profile
    • ~The Mandarin~'s Flickr album
Short-finned pilot whale (Kaiyodo - Aquatales)
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:30:18 AM »
This is the Short-finned pilot whale (Globicephala macrorhynchus) from Kaiyodo - Aquatales. The figurine measures approximately 7cm long, bringing the scale to about 1:100.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:12:43 PM by ~The Mandarin~ »

widukind

• Andreas
    • View Profile
Re: Long-finned pilot whale (Kaiyodo - Aquatales)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »
One of my Aquatales favouties after the risso dolphin  :)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »
One of the best figures of this animal
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 11:31:03 AM »
Great photos, especially the "underwater shot"! :) However, this is officially a Short-finned Pilot Whale, Globicephala macrorhynchus (it was even on the bottlecap but I just have the figure without bottlecap, like in your photos). And while it's always necessary to be cautious with the species identification by a manufacturer - especially in this case where two sister species are hard to tell apart - the relative shortness of the flippers and short snout with wide melon do suggest this is G. macrorhynchus instead of G. melas. The faint diagonal stripe from the eye to the dorsal fin also seems to be more common in G. macrorhynchus, too.

~The Mandarin~

• Kaiyodo, Kitan Club & Yujin collector
    • View Profile
    • ~The Mandarin~'s Flickr album
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »
Great photos, especially the "underwater shot"! :) However, this is officially a Short-finned Pilot Whale, Globicephala macrorhynchus (it was even on the bottlecap but I just have the figure without bottlecap, like in your photos). And while it's always necessary to be cautious with the species identification by a manufacturer - especially in this case where two sister species are hard to tell apart - the relative shortness of the flippers and short snout with wide melon do suggest this is G. macrorhynchus instead of G. melas. The faint diagonal stripe from the eye to the dorsal fin also seems to be more common in G. macrorhynchus, too.

Thanks for pointing that out! I wasn't too sure which pilot whale it was - just guessing. ;) I better update my post now!