Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Atlas Moth (Kaiyodo - Capsule Q Animatales: Yaeyama)  (Read 1045 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Atlas Moth (Kaiyodo - Capsule Q Animatales: Yaeyama)
« on: December 28, 2017, 06:01:09 PM »
Walk-around of the atlas moth, Attacus atlas (Linnaeus, 1758) by Kaiyodo, Capsule Q Animatales - Yaeyama, No. 302 (2014). The atlas moth is one of the largest species of moths and occurs in southeast Asia to the Malay Archipelago. This figure was released as part of one of several sets specializing in specific locations in Japan, in this case the Yaeyama Islands of Okinawa. This is the only atlas moth that was released by a major commercial manufacturer. Jetoar made one for his 'Amazing Moths' line (which I have, of course) and I also have a magnet figurine from Doug Walpus Art Studio.

This figure is, well, probably the best moth figure out there. Actually, the entire Yaeyama set had an amazing species arrangement of superb quality (five of them can be seen here: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~CH2M-NITU/japananimal7e.htm)! Due to the angle of the wings, it is difficult to measure (and frankly, difficult to image), but taking into account the width of each forewing and the thorax, I have it at a 90 mm wingspan, making it just under 1:3 for a large specimen. Assembly is required and it is a delicate figure, so care should be taken. It's been three years since I assembled mine, so I do not remember the number of pieces. The paint job is exquisite and the 'eyes' on the wings are translucent!

I am surprised I have not done a walk-around of this one before! This figure comes highly-recommended for anyone that might collect insect figures (even if it is not your focus). They still show up on eBay periodically so they are not impossible to find.

On to the pics!!!

Beetle guy

• View Profile
Re: Atlas Moth (Kaiyodo - Capsule Q Animatales: Yaeyama)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 03:20:52 PM »
Nice Blaine,

Just recently I bought this one, and a bunch of other Yujin and Kaiyodo butterflies and caterpillars.
I never collected butterflies but, even not a completist, wanted to have the Yujin and Kaiyodo insects complete. Little more to go ;-)
To beetle or not to beetle.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 10:18:48 PM »
This is one of my favourite CapsuleQ figures! :D One of the rare occasions I intentionally bought a figure twice (yes, I also bought doubles unintentionally, but that's a bit more embarassing...).

Beetle guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 08:02:13 AM »
This is one of my favourite CapsuleQ figures! :D One of the rare occasions I intentionally bought a figure twice (yes, I also bought doubles unintentionally, but that's a bit more embarassing...).

Those provide good trades Andre!  ;D
To beetle or not to beetle.