Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)  (Read 614 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:32:12 PM »
Review of the complete set Aquatic Museum by Wing Mau. While in recent years, it appears Wing Mau is producing and marketing figures by Play Visions, Club Earth, and K&M International, this appears to be an original set of theirs. The set consists of six species of crabs, two of which are unique figures (see below).

There are six figures, each a solid piece of PVC/plastic. Each figure comes with a plastic base (there is no attachment method for the base) that when assembled with each other, forms a large base that can be used as a diorama-style play set. I do not remember if each crab figure had a specific base associated with it, so the bases I have for individual species below is random. The figures are typical gashapon-sized, roughtly 25 mm across the carapace (I do not have one handy at the moment for measurements).

This is a recommended set, especially for those interested in aquatic/marine species. It shows up on eBay periodically and is still on the Wing Mau website so it should still be in production.

Here is a group shot of the crabs:

upload image online

Here is the assembled base:

upload image online

Individual crab figures (in no particular order):

1. Chasmagnathus convexus, the mud-flat crab.
This is to my knowledge a unique figure.

upload image online

2. Chiromantes haematocheir, the red-claw crab.
Previously also made by Furuta, Kaiyodo, and Yujin.

upload image online

3. Mictyris longicarpus, long-armed soldier crab.
Interestingly, the paper for this figure is mislabeled as Uca arcuata which is also part of the set (see below). Previously made by Cadbury (Yowies) and Epoch.

upload image online

4. Tubuca arcuata.
A fiddler crab previously made by Koro Koro (Toba Aquarium).

upload image online

5. Paraleptuca crassipes.
A fiddler crab, technically unique by major/professional manufacturers but Jetoar made one for Paleo-Creatures (Unknown Depths).

upload image online

6. Austruca lacteae.
A fiddler crab previously made by Epoch.

upload image online
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:04:05 AM by bmathison1972 »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 02:05:23 AM »
edit 11/30/2017: I have updated the names of the fiddler crabs to correspond to WoRMS (World Registry of Marine Species) database.

Halichoeres

• View Profile
Re: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »
Those are so cool!