Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Asian Arowana Gold Highback (Yujin - Freshwater Fishes Series 1, second release)  (Read 1478 times)

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
I am now in the realm of ‘versions’ of Yujin fish figures. This means that most won’t require much in the way of species descriptions (after, perhaps, this one) or company information. So there will be a bit less description, and more comparison photos (sort of like the Willow Shiner, except they were combined together in one post because I received them at the same time). The original Red Asian Arowana walkaround can be seen here.

So now, the fish!

This figure is the Se-Kin Dragon Arowana AKA Malyasian Golden Highback Arowana, Scleropages formosus (although some researchers have split up the species into four, and the Gold Malaysian variety may belong in [i[S. aureus[/i] if the species are valid—and most researchers are not yet convinced).  The figure is number 14 from the first series, second release—I think. It isn’t always clear, and I didn’t receive the papers to confirm, but it appears right. This variety (species?) is in most ways like the previous Red Asian Arowana, but is found only in waters of Malaysia. The Highback name comes from the pattern on the dorsal surface—where the scale colour does not ‘cross the back’ (in which case, this would be a cross back), leaving the dorsal black or silver. In this variety the ‘Golden’ part of the name comes from the shiny gold colour of the scales. Like all Asian arowana, these are considered endangered, although captive breeding is done in many parts of Southeast Asia. The Gold Crossback varieties are especially popular as the color and shine is considered a good omen for wealth—which means that they are highly sought after, but most varieties are quite rare (and expensive).

Most aspects of the model are the same as the Asian Red Arowana. It is about 7.2cm long, giving a scale of 1:13. The main difference is colour—instead of reds, the scales are more of a greenish-gold or silver colour. The front margins are dark grey, and the posterior margins of some are more yellow. Along the dorsal row of scales, the colour is primarily the dark grey colour with a silver posterior border (hence the Highback variety). This colour extends across the top of the head. The fins are all somewhat translucent, with reddish washes. The cheeks are the same yellowish-gold colour as the scales. The base that I received is different from the other Asian Arowana, being the coloured-gravel—with-plant style. I am never sure if these are the ‘correct’ ones or not (again, I didn’t get the paper for this one).

Like the Red Asian Arowana, this model is a two-part model, with a head that separates behind the opercula.

In comparing the two figures, the most obvious difference is the different colours. The Malaysian Gold Highback is a nice departure from the far more common red varieties that are seen by most figure makers. The only other difference between the models is the curve at the tail—in the Red Arowana model, the caudal fin is in a straight line with the dorsal fin, pointing straight back. In the Gold Highback, the tail is distinctly curved to starboard compared to the rest of the body. I doubt that Yujin would have made two different sculpts for the model (without making more significant changes—and I do know from an upcoming figure that re-using sculpts is definitely something that Yujin did). More likely it is a variation in the molds—or maybe it is actually from the First Release (since there is no easy way of knowing).

PICTURES:

COMPARISONS (Red variety on the left, Golden Highback on the Right):

(note that the Red Arowana is actually a crossback, with the red extending over the dorsal scales (mostly)--I learned things doing this!)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:04:17 PM by sbell »

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Great figure!  :) Once again they managed to make the seam (where the two parts join) very inconspicuous.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
I am not sure who is my favorite  ^-^. Nice walk around  ;).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
Great figure!  :) Once again they managed to make the seam (where the two parts join) very inconspicuous.

Whenever they use the operculum it works really well--it almost separates the head in real fish anyway! Only the Hucho has a weird mid-body seam that is impossible to conceal (without extra putty and work, which I won't do).