Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Papuan Jellyfish (Kaiyodo - Aquatales Polyresin)  (Read 1511 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Papuan Jellyfish (Kaiyodo - Aquatales Polyresin)
« on: October 05, 2014, 08:59:19 PM »
Good figures of jellyfishes have always been scarce, so I was very happy Kaiyodo included one in their new Aquatales resin line. Here is a walk-around of the Kaiyodo Aquatales Polyresin Aquatic animal figure collection Series 2 No. 003 Papuan or Spotted Jellyfish, Mastigias papua (Lesson, 1830). Length including oral arms is approx. 90 mm, diameter of the umbrella is 38 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:3 and 1:6. This is a relatively small (umbrellar diameter approx. 100 - 230 mm) jellyfish belonging to the Rhizostomeae, a group of scyphozoan medusae which lack any tentacles but have eight instead of four manubrial or oral arms. Most Rhizostomeae feed on tiny microplancton which are sucked in through a multitiude of tiny openings in the manubrial arms rather than through a central mouth opening. Due to the lack of tentacles many (but not all) Rhizostomeae are relatively harmless and several species, e.g. the common Eastern Atlantic Rhizostoma pulmo (=R. octopus), have so weak nematocysts that they can be handled with bare hands without any significant irritations (though I must confess I once felt a very faint itching at my wrists after handling a large specimen last year). Mastigias papua itself has a wide geographic distribution from Indonesia to Japan, although it has been suggested that the taxon may have to be split up into several species with a much more restricted range. Perhaps the most notable occurence of this coastal and lagoon-dwelling species is the dense population in Jellyfish Lake on Eil Malk Island, Palau. Like many other invertebrates the Papuan Jellyfish has not been assessed by IUCN ("Not Evaluated" = NE), yet.

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:00:47 PM by brontodocus »

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Re: Papuan Jellyfish (Kaiyodo - Aquatales Polyresin)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
Loveley jellyfish figure  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Re: Papuan Jellyfish (Kaiyodo - Aquatales Polyresin)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 11:01:26 PM »
Papuan Jellyfish pictures are back. :)