Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Indo-Pacific Sailfish (Kaiyodo - Aquatales Polyresin)  (Read 2050 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Indo-Pacific Sailfish (Kaiyodo - Aquatales Polyresin)
« on: October 04, 2014, 11:39:46 PM »
Walk-around of the Kaiyodo Aquatales Polyresin Aquatic animal figure collection Series 1 No. 005 Indo-Pacific Sailfish, Istiophorus platypterus Shaw, 1792. It was one of my most anticipated figure from the series. This small gem has a length of 131 mm FL (= Fork Length) or 118 mm SL (Standard Length, i.e. without the caudal fin). So the scale is approx. 1:12 to 1:26. The figure is made of a slightly translucent resin (which makes the trademark dorsal fin look even better) and has a hemispherical base with a steel rod (from the photos I've seen I've never been sure if the rod was made of clear plastic or metal). The Indo-Pacific Sailfish is one of the most spectacular billfish with a huge, sail-like first dorsal and is one of the fastest water-dwelling animals (although burts of over 100 km/h have been disputed). Although the species is caught in sport and commercial fishing it is still quite common and IUCN classifies it as "Least Concern". Human figures are approx. 1:22.5 - 1:24 (Freddie the Free Diver by Safari Ltd) and 1:20 (Minimen Andreas Köpke). I've also added a size comparison with the Kaiyodo Aquatales (Bottlecap) Series 2 Sailfish which is only a little more than half as long as its resin counterpart.

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:13:53 PM by brontodocus »

postsaurischian

• View Profile
Re: Indo-Pacific Sailfish (Kaiyodo - Aquatales Polyresin)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 04:40:43 AM »
That's it. Seeing the comparison shot with the original Animatales figure finally broke my resistance and I ordered me some of these resins :).
They look so much better than their original counterparts.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 04:43:06 AM by postsaurischian »

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »
Really awesome figure. One of the best figure that I have seen of this animal  :o.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

widukind

• Andreas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 12:56:47 PM »
Nice pics of a wonderful fish figurine :)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 02:04:08 PM »
Thanks, Helge, Jetoar, and widukind! :) Helge, you definitely won't regret getting this one. I have four Sailfish figures right now (Safari Ltd WS Sealife, Kaiyodo Aquatales Bottlecap Series 2, Aquameridian Ltd, and this one) and the Aquatales resin is by far the best of them. Anyways, it was hard for me to decide which Aquatales figures I'd buy right now - I nearly got me all twelve (series 1+2) at once. ;D

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 11:14:40 PM »
And the Aquatales Polyresin Sailfish images are back! :)