Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Butterfly Nature Tube (K&M - Wild Republic)  (Read 1961 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Butterfly Nature Tube (K&M - Wild Republic)
« on: July 17, 2015, 12:12:58 AM »
This is a review of the entire set of the Butterfly Nature Tube by K&M - Wild Republic.

There are 12 figures in the set. Physically, and the design of several, are clearly influenced by the Butterflies Collectors Case by Safari LTD. The figures have a 60 mm wingspan on average. There are no names, neither on the figures themselves nor on any accompanying paperwork.

EDIT: 9/9/2017; looks like we have reasonable names for all 12 figures. Identifications below are mine or others (most notably, Bowhead Whale on the STS forum).

If anyone can confirm, correct, or expand upon our identifications, PLEASE do so :). I can edit the thread as needed.

1. southern dogface butterfly, Zerene cesonia.
This is one of two figure of this species, the other being by Toy Major. This figure could probably be made to represent one of several pierids, but since Z. cesonia is one of my favorites, that is what I am going with.

2. monarch, Danaus plexippus.
A common among toy figures. I have additional figures by Safari LTD (Smithsonian Insects, Hidden Kingdom Insects, Authentics Insects, and Safariology Life Cycle series), CollectA, Cadbury (UK and Australian Yowies), Groovy Tube Books (Bug Blast!), Toy Major, 4D Master, Learning Resources (Jumbo Insects), and a host of un-named bin-style figures.

3. paradise birdwing, Ornithoptera paradisea
I am basing my identification on the shape of the wings and the tails. However, I must admit, the color is more like the common green birdwing, O. priamus, which has been made a couple times in toy form.

4. European peacock, Aglais io.
When I first posted this thread I thought this was a unique figure, but it had also been done by K&M for their Butterflies Mini Polybag and by Bullyland. They are also made as porcelain figurines (I have three as feves).

5. crowned hairstreak, Evenus coronata

The color is not perfect, but this species has been made several times and it is most certainly a knock-off of other E. coronata figures, with I believe Club Earth starting the trend.

6. Andromeda satyr, Cithaerias andromeda.
I placed this figure in this genus based on color and wing shape. Certainly one of the most interesting in the set. I do not have any other butterflies like it.

7. paper kite, Idea leuconoe
I do not like assigning this name to this figure, but it is clearly a knock-off of the figure of the same name in Safari's Collectors Case series.

8. silver-bordered fritillary, Boloria selene.
ID courtesy of Bowhead Whale. A new genus and species for me!

9. the yellow zebra, Graphium deucalion.
This appears to be one of the jays in the genus Graphium, with G. deucalion being the most reasonable option.

10. the great Mormon, Papilio memnon agenor, prob form primigenius.
Thanks to Bowhead Whale for this ID; I cannot come up with anything better!

11. common Mormon, Papilio polytes.
Thanks to Bowhead Whale for this suggestion. I am not completely sold (esp. with the color of the forewings), but for now I cannot come up with anything better.

12. broad-banded page, Siproeta superba.
Another ID courtesy of BW! Again, I cannot come up with anything better!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:50:34 AM by bmathison1972 »

Roger

• View Profile
    • Toy Animal Wiki
Re: Butterfly Nature Tube (K&M - Wild Republic)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 01:27:49 AM »
Thanks a lot Blaine! I was really hoping for it!  :)
I even tried to use this guide but I was not very successful with it, maybe you can manage it better. :)
I'll use your pictures on Toy Wiki as you already know. :D

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »
I even tried to use this guide but I was not very successful with it, maybe you can manage it better. :)

feel free to use my text and images, but please do find a way to credit me as the source of the images. Thanks.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 11:46:55 PM »
Great haul, Ornithoptera paradisea could be my favorite of this set  :).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Roger

• View Profile
    • Toy Animal Wiki
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »

feel free to use my text and images, but please do find a way to credit me as the source of the images. Thanks.

Blaine, the best way to be credited in a Wiki project is contributing directly. Though, it is already good that some collectors provide some informations and pictures, so, I'll find surely a way to credit you. :D

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:25:08 PM »
I have re-captured these images for Postimage, with some additional updates and edits.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 12:51:55 AM »
Update 9/9/2017. With help from Bowhead Whale on the STS forum, looks like we now have reasonable identifications for all 12 figures in this set. The first post was edited accordingly.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:52:15 AM by bmathison1972 »