Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Monarch Butterfly (CollectA)  (Read 1428 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Monarch Butterfly (CollectA)
« on: February 25, 2015, 11:15:51 PM »
Walk around of the monarch butterfly, Danaus plexippus (Linnaeus, 1758) by CollectA (2013).

The monarch is a very familiar butterfly, and I have several figures from major name brands alone (not to mention several bin/drug store/dollar store style figures). The species occurs throughout North America and also Australia and the Malaysian Archipelago, Sri Lanka, India, and the Canary Islands.

CollectA lately is leading the charge in making interesting species of great quality. While their insects are not always the most interesting or obscure species, the quality is the BEST right now of the non-Japanese/gashapon figures. And this beauty is no exception. Overall, even though I am taxonomically selective, I praise CollectA for always putting out a nice variety of taxa each year! They don't do insects every year but they are the only major non-Japanese brand that still routinely makes them!

The figure and its paint job is spectacular. And look!!! Note, only four walking legs (as the Nymphalidae should have)!!! The posture makes it difficult to measure. With the wings up, it stands 60 mm tall; based on specimens I collected in Arizona it is roughly 1:1 (maybe slightly smaller--they are relatively large nymphalids!).

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:27:41 PM by bmathison1972 »

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Re: Monarch Butterfly (CollecA)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 11:22:22 PM »
Much better than I had expected! :) And, yes, we rarely see figures of four-footed butterflies which are actually four-footed... ??? ;D Even Japanese companies can get this wrong: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=906.0

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Re: Monarch Butterfly (CollectA)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 01:18:24 PM »
Really beautiful figure. In the Iberian Peninsula we have this specie also. The four legs it is a great detail  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Monarch Butterfly (CollectA)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 07:28:33 PM »
I have recaptured these images!