Author Topic: Anurans  (Read 16450 times)

stargatedalek

• View Profile
Re: Anurans
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 03:20:30 PM »
the safari "fuzzy frog" was re-released later as a white tree frog, I'll try and find it and snap some pics ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:23:44 PM by stargatedalek »
Upcoming start-up figurine line, feedback wanted: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1991.new#new

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 04:33:30 PM »
the safari "fuzzy frog" was re-released later as a white tree frog, I'll try and find it and snap some pics ;)
You have one? Great! :) Please, yes, show it. Because I think I may not have seen it without fuzz before. Do you think the fuzz-free one is the younger version? When I started collecting in about 2009 the fuzzy version was still widely available.

So now the remaining ones I have (which weren't already shown in this thread):

Ranidae - True Frogs

Pelophylax kl. esculentus (Linnaeus, 1758); Edible Frog, female. 3B Scientific model. Length 84 mm, scale 1:1. Walk-around

Pelophylax porosus brevipodus (Ito, 1941); Daruma Pond Frog. Above: Yujin The Frogs in Colour Series 1 Secret No. 2, length 32 mm, scale approx. 1:1.1 - 1:2.3. Below: Kaiyodo Kyoto Aquarium Figure Collection No. 5. Length 29 mm, scale approx. 1:1.2 - 1:2.5.

Lithobates catesbeianus (Shaw, 1802); North American Bullfrog. Safari Ltd Incredible Creatures. Length approx. 125 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:1.5. Walk-around

Rana japonica Boulenger, 1879; Japanese Brown Frog. Yujin The Frogs in Colour Series 1 No. 4, length 34 mm, scale approx. 1:0.9 - 1:2.2.

Rana sakuraii Matsui & Matsui, 1990; Stream Brown Frog. Yujin The Frogs in Colour Series 1 Secret No. 3, length 29 mm, scale approx. 1:1.3 - 1:2.

Rana pirica Matsui, 1991; Ezo Brown (or Red) Frog. Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Frogs No. 5. Length 38 mm, scale approx. 1:1.2 - 1:1.9.

Conraua goliath (Boulenger, 1906); Goliath Frog. Kaiyodo Red Data Animals No. 11a (special a). Length 42 mm, scale approx. 1:4 - 1:9. Walk-around

Odorrana ishikawae (Stejneger, 1901); Ishikawa's Frog. Above: Yujin The Frogs in Colour Series 1 No. 3, length 35 mm, scale approx. 1:2.5 - 1:3.3. Second from above: Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Frogs No. 6. Length 44 mm, scale approx. 1:2 - 1:2.6. The bottom two photos: 4d Vision Frog Anatomy by Famemaster. Length 156 mm, scale approx. 1:0.5 - 1:0.75.

cf. Ceratobatrachus guentheri Boulenger, 1884; Solomon Islands Leaf Frog. Stamped "Asian Horned Toad" which would suggest Megophrys nasuta which is never green, whereas C. guentheri is highly polymorphic and sometimes has a colouration similar to this figure. Of course, this is merely my own interpretation of the figure and it is not a 100% match. PlayVisions. Length 40 mm, scale approx. 1:2.

Rhacophoridae - Shrub Frogs

Rhacophorus arboreus (Okada & Kawano, 1924); Forest Green Tree Frog. From left to right: Yujin / The Frogs in Colour, length 37 mm; Kitan Club / Nature Techni Colour Frogs of Japan, length 41 mm; Furuta / Choco Egg Wild Animals Series 4, length 43 mm; Kaiyodo / Aquatales polyresin Series 2, length 54 mm. Walk-around of the Aquatales model. Quite variable in colour, aren't they?

Buergeria buergeri (Temminck & Schlegel, 1838); Kajika Frog. Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Frogs No. 4. Length 31 mm, scale approx. 1:0.8 - 1:1.5.

Buergeria japonica (Hallowell, 1861); Ryukyu Kajika Frog. Yujin The Frogs in Colour Series 1 No. 5, length 31 mm, scale approx. 1:0.8 - 1:1.2.

Edit: Forgot the 3B Scientific Female Edible Frog, d'oh! :-[ ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 04:52:49 PM by brontodocus »

sauroid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 04:49:58 PM »
this thread has become a rich source of information, thanks to all the contributors. :)

just to add more of my frog figures
Colorata tomato frog (hoping to get the complete boxed set someday)

Kitan club mono tree frog phone strap

PV and K&M tree frog

the rest of my Yujin frogs (i have others i havent taken pics of yet)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 04:55:22 PM »
Ah, so you got all of the other Yujin frogs, too, then? One of the best frog series ever! 8) The Red-eyed Treefrog, is that one by K&M? Could it be that this one is part of a boxed rainforest set or something similar? I may have seen it before but I'm not sure.

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 06:03:08 PM »
The Red-eyed Treefrog is indeed by K&M. I purchased mine as an individual figure, however it was from a liquidation store so I can't be certain this was how they were originally packaged.
Upcoming start-up figurine line, feedback wanted: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1991.new#new

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 07:04:32 AM »
I made a quick google image search and actually found a picture of it. But the shot was very small. So does your figure have a brownish back? From what I could see it seems a really good figure. Now I'm even more interested in seeing larger photos of it! :)
The Red-eyed Treefrog is indeed by K&M. I purchased mine as an individual figure, however it was from a liquidation store so I can't be certain this was how they were originally packaged.
Ah, thanks again for the info, stargatedalek! :)

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »
that sounds like it alright!
now that you mention it, this may be an earlier version, I had been going by the times I saw them appearing in stores but that's not really reliable

"Tree Frog" (Whites Tree Frog) 1999 Safari Ltd.
(the legs have wires inserted which make them pose-able)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:46:05 PM by stargatedalek »

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »
Thanks, stargatedalek! :) Yes, that's the one. And it looks even better than I expected. So much better than the fuzzy version... if only I knew a safe way to remove all that fuzz from my frog without destroying the sculpt I'd do it. And before someone suggests it: No, I don't think a razor will help much... and a belt sander probably won't help either... ;D

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 02:08:42 AM »
Thanks, stargatedalek! :) Yes, that's the one. And it looks even better than I expected. So much better than the fuzzy version... if only I knew a safe way to remove all that fuzz from my frog without destroying the sculpt I'd do it. And before someone suggests it: No, I don't think a razor will help much... and a belt sander probably won't help either... ;D

I doubt there is a realistic paint job under the fuzz, more likely a generic monotone. If you remove the fuzz, you'll probably have to repaint anyway.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 07:12:04 AM »
I doubt there is a realistic paint job under the fuzz, more likely a generic monotone. If you remove the fuzz, you'll probably have to repaint anyway.
Yes, I'd expect so. There is no indication that the figure is painted anywhere else than on the eye (which is really badly done). I'd be happy to repaint it if only I could get rid of the fuzz without damaging the sculpt. I've been thinking about acetone but I guess it also dissolves the plastic. :-\

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »
Brontodocus, after googling the painted mantella, I agree with you that the figure’s field marks favor Baron’s mantella, Mantella baroni over M. madagascariensis.
Good call on two very similar species. I have modified the Colorata list accordingly.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 11:14:32 PM »
Brontodocus, after googling the painted mantella, I agree with you that the figure’s field marks favor Baron’s mantella, Mantella baroni over M. madagascariensis.
Good call on two very similar species. I have modified the Colorata list accordingly.
Thanks, stemturtle. :) Well the differences are very, very minor, of course.
Turns out my fuzzy little friend got a quick shave which was much easier than I was worrying about - the fuzz went off by hand and I had to use tweezers only in narrow grooves my fingernails couldn't reach... I know, it still has those annoying vertical pupils.

:)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:15:09 PM by brontodocus »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 11:16:41 PM »
Turns out my fuzzy little friend got a quick shave which was much easier than I was worrying about - the fuzz went off by hand and I had to use tweezers only in narrow grooves my fingernails couldn't reach... I know, it still has those annoying vertical pupils.

:)

Wow, if I knew the ATF was turning into a burlesque show, I woulda brought a wad of singles  >:D

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 11:54:35 AM »
Wow, if I knew the ATF was turning into a burlesque show, I woulda brought a wad of singles  >:D
;D

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »

joking aside, I think I have a couple more frogs who haven't appeared in this thread, time to go hunting frogs today!

sauroid

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2014, 06:54:37 AM »
i was able to get three more Yujin frogs and only need one more to complete the series

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
Congrats, sauroid! :) So I guess the Rana japonica figure is the one you still have to get? Good hunting! :)

sauroid

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2014, 02:53:21 AM »
im not sure if the brown one is the Rana japonica. getting these Yujin frogs is more expensive than getting them off ebay because i usually have to get 5-6 (or even more) same items/multiples before finally getting the one im after (so one figure for the price of five/more)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2014, 12:05:05 PM »
im not sure if the brown one is the Rana japonica. getting these Yujin frogs is more expensive than getting them off ebay because i usually have to get 5-6 (or even more) same items/multiples before finally getting the one im after (so one figure for the price of five/more)
Well, I have all fifteen and I had a look at your photos in this thread. Rana japonica was the only one I haven't seen among yours. Good luck finding one, at least it's none of the three secrets so if you find one offered as a single figure it may not be that expensive. :) I bought my Yujin frogs as a complete set in 2010 for $50, not sure anymore but I think this also included international shipping so they were once quite easy to get for a reasonable price.

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »
Could we please have a volunteer post of a scan of the label showing images for the Yujin set of 15 frogs? I do not own a label.
A list of the figure numbers follows. Corrections are welcome.

Yujin Frogs in Colour

1. Hyla japonica, Japanese tree frog
2. Rhacophorus arboreus, forest green tree frog
3. Odorrana (syn. Rana) ishikawae, Ishikawa’s frog
4. Rana japonica, Japanese brown frog
5. Buergeria japonica, Ryukyu Kajika frog

6. Microhyla ornata, ornate narrow mouthed frog
7. Bufo japonicus formosus, Eastern Japanese common toad
8. Rana catesbeiana, American bullfrog
9. Agalychnis callidryas, red-eyed tree frog
10. Megophrys nasuta, Malayan horned frog

11. Ceratophrys ornata, Argentinian or ornate horned frog
12. Dendrobates tinctorius, dyeing poison-arrow frog
Secret figures:
13. Pelophylax nigromaculatus (syn. Rana nigromaculata), dark-spotted frog
14. Pelophylax (syn. Rana) porosa brevipoda, Nagoya Daruma pond frog
15. Rana sakuraii, stream brown frog

Edit: for photo IDs please see Reply #45 of this thread.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:15:37 PM by stemturtle »