Author Topic: Turtles  (Read 57003 times)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Re: Turtles
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
Yes, his face is the best XD
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »
ah, now I recognise it - isn't it the one that came with a cactus from the Bandai Nature Zone Galapagos set? :)

tyrantqueen

• I am an AAAphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 08:30:23 AM »
Bronto, I think this seller has stolen your photograph http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snapping-Turtle-TOY-Replica-Rubber-figure-BIG-10-long-REALISTIC-rare-toy-/330859721553?pt=Educational_Toys_US&hash=item4d08c6b351

In fact, if you check out the seller's listings, they've used some of your other photos as well.

Unless you are goldfish girl?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:34:15 AM by tyrantqueen »

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 10:09:04 AM »
Thanks, tyrantqueen, you're right about that, the seller uses my photos without permission. I've noticed that a month ago (there were even more of my photos used) and requested that the seller removed my photos from the listings (which she or he only did partially). This seller is also the initial reason why I use watermarks now, and I was talking about the same person when I wrote this.

Oh, I just found out these one haven't shown up here before:

Chelodina reimanni Philippen & Grossmann, 1990; Reimann's Snake-necked Turtle. Furuta Choco Egg Funny Animals Series 7 No. 31. Length 65 mm, length of carapace 36 mm, scale approx. 1:6 (? - 1:10).

Macrochelys (syn. Macroclemys) temminckii Troost, 1835; Alligator Snapping Turtle. Agatsuma Entertainment. Total length 104 mm, carapace length 44 mm, scale approx. 1:9 - 1:18.

Cuora flavomarginata (Gray, 1863); Chinese Box Turtle. Furuta Choco Egg Animals of Japan Series 5 No. 130. I have never measured it so I can only give an estimate of its scale, probably between 1:4 and 1:6. By the way, it's the same species as the Kaiyodo National Monuments of Japan figure Helge posted here, it's sometimes listed as Cistoclemmys flavomarginata and also Cyclemys flavomarginata.

Carettochelys insculpta Ramsay, 1886; Pig-nosed Turtle. Kaiyodo Capsule Aquarium 3 - Shinagawa Aquarium No. 9. Length of carapace 30 mm, scale approx. 1:15 - 1:23. Human figure is 1:20 scale.

Caretta caretta (Linnaeus, 1758); Loggerhead Turtle, baby. Glico Kaiyodo Aquatales Series 1 No. 12. Length 44 mm, carapace length*width = 31*24 mm, scale 1:1.5 upward.

Chelonia mydas (Linnaeus, 1758); Green Turtle. Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Ocean 1 No. 6. Length of carapace 38 mm, scale approx. 1:20 - 1:37. Human figure is approx. 1:35 scale.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 10:09:38 AM »
It is your images  ^-^.

postsaurischian

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
 :D Beautiful Turtles, Andre!
                 I have to get me the Shinagawa Carettochelys one day :).

Ana

• View Profile
    • my website: Horse and Bird
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Thank You for good comments :D
ah, now I recognise it - isn't it the one that came with a cactus from the Bandai Nature Zone Galapagos set? :)

Yes, yes, that's from this set :D A nice set by the way :)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
My Larami collection of turtles. These group were in a box. I remenber that Larami done 5 box of turtles, and I remmebr of this model the Aligator Turtle and Leatherback Turtle  ^-^.

Larami Turtles

Green Turtle

Hawksbill Turtle

Snapping Turtle

Three-Toed Turtle

Western Painted Turtle

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2013, 01:09:13 PM »
The Name Game: Play Visions And Yujin 1

This is a reference source about species of twin turtles. Molds from Play Visions Turtles were used to cast most of the Yujin Turtles Series 1 of 2002. Play Visions marked the plastron with the common name and an item number.  Yujin retained the item numbers but changed some of the common names, and issued a paper label with the scientific names.  The numbers on the paper label are not the same as the numbers marked on the plastrons.  Yujin also changed the colors of some figures, in addition to changing the identification of several species.

Yujin Turtles Series 1 ID Label

Photos of Play Visions turtles can be seen in Replies #27 and 28 of this topic. The PV set of 1996 is 8 land and pond turtles.  The PV set of 1998 is 8 sea turtles.  These 16 figures are about 2 to 2.5 inches total length (5.0 to 6.5 cm).  In addition to these recasts, Yujin created 8 tiny turtles, each about an inch long (2.5 cm).  Yujin also added a secret figure, which is a light blue color variation of the Indian flapshell Turtle.  The total for Series 1 is 25 figures.

The only miniature figures pictured below are Cagle's map turtle and Hermann's tortoise, neither issued by PV. Some of the other miniatures not shown are species that appeared later in Yujin Turtles Series 2, where the quality of art is much higher. The photos below show pairs that are identified as different species.  Species that are named the same for both PV and Yujin are not illustrated here. 

P =  Play Visions plastron number 
Y = Yujin label number

Land and Pond Turtles

Y06  Cagle's map turtle, Graptemys caglei * miniature.  Y11  Eastern Hermann's tortoise. Testudo hermanni boettgeri * miniature.
Diameter of coin is about 1 inch (2.5 cm).

The Play Visions figures are on the left, Yujin on the right.

P01 Alligator snapping turtle, Macrochelys (Macroclemys) temminckii.  Y14  North American snapping turtle, Chelydra serpentina.

P04  Spotted turtle, Clemmys guttata.  Y02  Reeve's turtle, Mauremys (Chinemys) reevesii.

P05  Yellow-blotched sawback (map) turtle, Graptemys flavimaculata.  Y05  Black-knobbed map turtle, Graptemys nigrinoda.

P06  Eastern box turtle, Terrapene carolina carolina.  Y09  Aldabra giant tortoise, Aldabrachelys (Geochelone) gigantea.

P08  Peacock softshell turtle, Nilssonia sp.  Y08  (Northern) Indian flapshell turtle, Lissemys punctata andersoni
Possible species are Indian peacock softshell, Nilssonia hurum, and Burmese peacock softshell, Nilssonia formosa.

P08  Peacock softshell turtle, Nilssonia sp.  Y Secret (no label #)  (Northern) Indian flapshell turtle, Lissemys punctata andersoni

Sea Turtles

P04  Black sea turtle, Chelonia mydas (previously C. agassizii).  Y17  Green sea turtle, Chelonia mydas.

P05  Flatback sea turtle, Natator depressus.   Y22  No ID on label, Mongrel turtle is marked on plastron.

P07  Kemp's ridley sea turtle, Lepidochelys kempii.  Y16  Loggerhead sea turtle, Caretta caretta.

This report is based on the sets that I own.  Most of these figures can be found online. Your comments and corrections are welcome.

EDIT: The common names have been changed from capital letters to lowercase.  First letter is capitalized at the start of sentence or caption.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:08:03 PM by stemturtle »

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »
Thanks for this excellent reference, stemturtle! :) It's interesting to see that Yujin renamed the PV "Alligator Snapping Turtle" (which had no real resemblance with a real one) Chelydra serpentina and then made a new Alligator Snapping Turtle which does the real species more justice. Hmm, I should look if I could get my hands at least on the softshell turtles... :)

tyrantqueen

• I am an AAAphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
Great turtle collection :)

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2013, 06:05:29 PM »
I appreciate your nice comments, brontodocus and tyrantqueen.  :)  A report on Yujin Turtles Series 2 will follow eventually.

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2013, 12:20:03 AM »
New Species in Yujin Turtles Series 2

Previously, Reply # 48 recorded name changes between Play Visions turtles and recasts for Yujin Series 1. Some photos of second series turtles were already posted in Reply # 32 by Ana, and in Reply # 34 by postsaurischian. Let us continue in the turtle topic rather than change to the category of Animal Toy Lines. We will report two miniatures from Series 1 that match species from Series 2.  Next, we will list new species in the second series that were not included in first series.

Use of the name Series 2, which appeared on the STS Forum, follows the example by Kaiyodo. The set was titled on eBay as Yujin World Turtle Collection Part 2.  The release year, 2004, is not marked on the figures. Size is less than 2.4 inches, 6 cm. The sculptures show superior realism and beautiful detailing.

Label for Yujin Turtles Series 2

Reverse side of label.

A paper label that assigns numbers for 15 scientific names is the only identification provided for Series 2.  The reverse side of the label shows common names. Neither item numbers nor common names are marked on the plastrons.  The numbers and the Yujin brand are hidden on the inside of puzzle pieces. A secret figure, marked # 16, is not illustrated on the label. Two color variants bring the total count to 18 figures.  See below for photos of the last 3 figures.

New species from Series 2 matching miniatures from Series 1

Chinese softshell turtle, Pelodiscus sinensis

Indian star tortoise, Geochelone elegans

New species from Series 2 not included in Series 1

Japanese pond turtle, Mauremys japonica

Yellow pond turtle, Mauremys mutica mutica

Hilaire's side-necked turtle, Phrynops hilarii

Galapagos giant tortoise, Chelonoidis (Geochelone) nigra

Yellow-margined box turtle, Cuora flavomarginata, secret
Correction was made: Yellow-margined box turtle, not Yellow-maginated box turtle.

Series 2 color variants

Reeve's turtle, Mauremys (Chinemys) reevesii, melanistic, see # 03

Black sea turtle, Chelonia mydas (formerly C. agassizii), see # 13

The remaining species from Series 2 (no photos) are also represented in Series 1:
numbers 01, 03, 06, 08, 10, and the four sea turtles 12, 13, 14, 15.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:36:40 PM by stemturtle »

Ana

• View Profile
    • my website: Horse and Bird
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2013, 09:54:26 AM »
Lovely turtles, congratulations!!! :D

postsaurischian

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »
Great post & wonderful pictures, stemturtle!

I'm loving the Turtles thread :).

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2013, 02:30:29 PM »
Excellent, stemturtle! :) And, yes, these are a considerable improvement compared with the others.

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2013, 12:27:07 AM »
Thanks for this excellent reference, stemturtle! :) It's interesting to see that Yujin renamed the PV "Alligator Snapping Turtle" (which had no real resemblance with a real one) Chelydra serpentina and then made a new Alligator Snapping Turtle which does the real species more justice.

Yes, Yujin changed the name of the snapper in Series 1 from Macrochelys to Chelydra. Therefore, we could consider the alligator snapper in the second series as a new species.  It was removed from the first draft of the Series 2 report because it required an explanation.

New species from Series 2 matching miniature from Series 1

Alligator snapping turtle, Macrochelys (Macroclemys) temminckii

Thank you for the comments Ana, postsaurischian, and brontodocus.  It's nice that there are so many of us testudophiles.  :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:11:21 PM by stemturtle »

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2013, 12:41:13 AM »
Australian Pleurodira

Photos of pleurodires, side-necked turtles, have been posted by postsaurischian, Reply # 20, by Ana, Reply # 32, and by brontodocus, Reply # 43. Those turtles are from South America and New Guinea. There are no African examples represented as toys.  Here we present species native to Australia.

Group shot of pleurodires, length about 2 inches, 5 cm.

Western swamp tortoise, Pseudemydura umbrina(Cadbury Yowie Playmates Series 1, # 15)

Eastern snake-necked tortoise, Chelodina longicollis (Cadbury Yowie Playmates, Series 1, # 37)

Eastern snake-necked tortoise, Chelodina longicollis (U.K. Cadbury Yowie Playmates, Series 1, # 41)

Red-bellied (painted) short-necked turtle, Emyduyra subglobosa (Cadbury Yowie Playmates, Series 2, # 32)

Photos of additional species are welcome.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2013, 03:08:01 PM »
Cute collection of turtles  ^-^

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »
More Larami Turtles

Jetoar posted photos of 5 Larami turtles: Western painted turtle, 3-toed box, snapper, green and hawksbill sea turtles (see Reply # 47).  He also reviewed those as walk-arounds.  Here are 5 more.

Group shot of Larami turtles, sizes range from 2 3/16 inches (5.5 cm) to 9 1/2 inches (24 cm).

Florida box turtle, Terrapene carolina bauri

Yellow-bellied slider, Trachemys scripta scripta

Red-eared slider, Trachemys scripta elegans

Alligator snapping turtle, Macrochelys temminckii

Leatherback sea turtle, Dermochelys coriacea

The small figures are solid, but the larger turtles seem to be hollow when squeezed.

Checklist of Larami Turtles
True Scale Museum Collection 1993

Series 1
Leatherback sea
Alligator snapping
Yellow-bellied
Red-eared
Florida box

Series 2
Loggerhead sea
Olive ridley sea
Florida snapping
Alabama map
Eastern box

Series 3
Green sea
Hawksbill sea
Snapping
Western painted
Three-toed box

Update: the checklist was changed from use of item numbers to grouping by series
because some numbers repeated for different species of sea turtles.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:11:05 PM by stemturtle »