Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Leatherback Turtle, 2017 release (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Sealife)  (Read 1223 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Walk-around of the Safari Ltd Wild Safari Sealife Leatherback Turtle, Dermochelys coriacea (Vandelli, 1761); item No. 2024-29, new for 2017. I always thought it was a bit sad that the old version had been retired and initially I thought the new version may be a repainted old sculpt but in fact it is an entirely different figure. And what a pretty one, too! :) Total length is 97 mm and carapace length is 75 mm (CCL = Curved Carapace Length) so the scale is somewhere between approx. 1:13 and 1:28 (for CCL between 1.0 and 2.1 m). The scale is also very similar to the retired version which has almost the same carapace length. Back when the old version was available, Safari Ltd was known for quite sloppy paint jobs which sometimes obscured otherwise beautiful sculpts. Today Safari Ltd have improved the colouration of their figures a lot and the new version's paint job looks fine and matt. While the polygonal osteoderm pattern on the limbs may look nice at first I think they should have better omitted this pattern since in an adult the osteoderms are very inconspicuous and relatively smaller in size than the polygons on the figure's limbs. Although currently still decreasing globally, conservation efforts have apparently begun to pay off and IUCN expects a world wide population increase of over 100% by 2040. As a consequence, in 2013 IUCN downgraded the Leatherback Turtle from "Endangered" (1986-1996) and "Critically Endangered" (2000) to "Vulnerable".

Comparison with Papo Marine Life (left) and CollectA Sea Life (right) figures:

CetaceanFan

• I'm a Sperm Whale at heart, yet I collect figures
    • View Profile
Re: Leatherback Turtle, 2017 release (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Sealife)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 01:26:10 AM »
Finally! A company that got this turtle species correct, especially the head. ;D

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 10:12:23 AM »
Thanks, CetaceanFan! :)
Finally! A company that got this turtle species correct, especially the head. ;D
Of course, there are also Japanese figures of superb quality (e.g. Colorata and Toba Aquarium) although I haven't any of those.

modelnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »
Love it!

I have it now in my 1/24 scale collection. I want to get the kid too. But I don't know where to find him.

- Leelan

widukind

• Andreas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »
That are very nice turtles :)