Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Mantis Shrimp (AAA)  (Read 9503 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Mantis Shrimp (AAA)
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:28:13 PM »
Walk-around of the AAA mantis shrimp Oratosquilla oratoria (De Haan, 1844), once again a cast from a real specimen. This time it's not only identifiable but also correctly identified by AAA - it's stamped "ORATOSQUILLA". It's probably because that species is the most important stomatopod in commercial fishery - these are commonly sold as food in Asia. Length of carapace is 73 mm, total length (anterior margin of head to tip of telson) is 255 mm. The figure is made of translucent rubber.

Edit 2017-02-08: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:35:14 PM by animaltoyforum »

animaltoyforum

• Dr admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Plesiosaur Directory
Re: Mantis Shrimp (AAA)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:34:33 PM »
Oh wow, like something from another planet! Really wonderful walk-around photographs too :)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:53:42 PM »
Thanks, Adam! :) Yes, those stomatopods are animals of superlatives with their sophisticated eyesight, prey technique and everything. It's really a pity that these often end up as food. :-\ This is one of quite a number of AAA crustaceans, it's usually in my office at uni and I use it for demonstration purposes (it won't break as easily as a dried specimen does).

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:05:08 PM »
Incredible figure and  walk around  ^-^. I dont know this figure. Where did you buy this figure?. In Spain the name of this animal is "Galera" and he is a good sea food in the spanish  cuisine  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:09:18 PM »
Weird & fascinating :)! Awesome figure!
I wonder how many of these unusual AAA casts exist. When did they produce all these for the first time?

Varanus

• Goannas Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »
That is so cool!!! :o  I must have one! ;D

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:17 PM »
Thanks, Jetoar, Helge, and Varanus! :) I got it from leaveonlybubbles but it's out of stock now... :-\
In Spain the name of this animal is "Galera" and he is a good sea food in the spanish  cuisine  ^-^.
Yes, that one would be Squilla mantis, though, Oratosquilla does not occur in European waters. Well, there are many very delicious things the Spanish cuisine offers... and I had Sepia con arroz negro and Pulpo alla gallega before... but I'm also a little embarrassed about it, thinking how agile, intelligent and fascinating these are... :'(
I wonder how many of these unusual AAA casts exist. When did they produce all these for the first time?
Unfortunately there is no date stamped underneath. Oh, and they did a variety of crustaceans, at least two Dungeness Crabs, two Lobsters, Tiger Prawn, Rock Lobster, lots of swimming crabs, several differently sized Crucifix Crabs. They even made quite a variety of different marine mollusks (mainly clams)... :o ;D

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:43:06 PM »
Thanks, Jetoar, Helge, and Varanus! :) I got it from leaveonlybubbles but it's out of stock now... :-\
In Spain the name of this animal is "Galera" and he is a good sea food in the spanish  cuisine  ^-^.
Yes, that one would be Squilla mantis, though, Oratosquilla does not occur in European waters. Well, there are many very delicious things the Spanish cuisine offers... and I had Sepia con arroz negro and Pulpo alla gallega before... but I'm also a little embarrassed about it, thinking how agile, intelligent and fascinating these are... :'(
Unfortunately there is no date stamped underneath. Oh, and they did a variety of crustaceans, at least two Dungeness Crabs, two Lobsters, Tiger Prawn, Rock Lobster, lots of swimming crabs, several differently sized Crucifix Crabs. They even made quite a variety of different marine mollusks (mainly clams)... :o ;D

Upps, he is a good reply of this animal..... :'(. I dont eat this animals because I cant eat this magnificenst creatures  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

• I am an AAAphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:04:45 AM »
Great looking figure :)

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

Odontodactylus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »
Excellent Photos. This is definitely my favorite animal replica... Ever! I would definitely be doing a walk around of this one if you hadn't already.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 03:21:09 AM »
This guy's pics need to be updated... :-D

By the way, this is larger than the published size range; are we sure it's cast from an actual specimen?

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 05:22:06 AM »
Perhaps it's actually cast from a zebra mantis shrimp, very similar aside from colour but I'm fairly certain they're larger.
Why I'm done with the ATF, at least for now:
https://www.facebook.com/michell.vall/posts/999800036850389

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 07:11:15 AM »
This guy's pics need to be updated... :-D

By the way, this is larger than the published size range; are we sure it's cast from an actual specimen?
Aw, just when I thought I had updated all of my walk-arounds! :o :-[ Well, photos are updated now! :)
I was puzzled, too, when I read carapace length 60-70 mm and total length up to 185 mm. But there is something wrong with that data. This would mean a total length/carapace length ratio of 2.6:1 to 3.1 but from every image you can find it's obvious that the carapace is relatively shorter so the ratio is like 3.5:1 or more. The carapace of the AAA figure is 73 mm, just a little over the carapace length of 60-70 mm I've read. My interpretation is that the 185 mm are not meant to be total length but length of the pleon instead. If we add both we'll get a total length of  245-255 mm and a length/carapace length ratio of 3.6:1 to 4.1:1. The lower value is close to what we find on the figure: 3.5:1. And: I've found photos of people in Japan who catch Oratosquilla oratoria which clearly show that these get bigger than 185 mm total length:
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/hojoturi/e/b252d17e4b7a9c561f81a99b06ba1889 and http://fishland.jp/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/1444145825103.jpg
Of course we can not entirely rule out that it is a sculpt but all AAA crustaceans I've seen so far are casts, just like so many of their other figures (e.g. large reptiles). I'd be surprised if AAA who were known for casts from original specimens and otherwise rather mediocre, inaccurate sculpts of animals and dinosaurs should actually have made an exception here and made a single brilliant and accurate sculpt from a more or less obscure species (at least when it comes to toy figures).
Perhaps it's actually cast from a zebra mantis shrimp, very similar aside from colour but I'm fairly certain they're larger.
Thanks for the info but it's definitely not cast from that one. the Zebra Mantis Shrimp does not have the median carina and lateral spines on the dorsal side of the pleon.

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 02:46:08 PM »
See, this kind of thing is what I get up for in the morning! I had no idea.

This may be the only AAA figure with perfect colouration.

BlueKrono

• "We're being hunted."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 04:25:46 PM »
Crustaceans aren't even of especial interest to me, and I even I have to admit this is one of the coolest figures ever made out of synthetic polymer.
I like turtles.

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 08:36:36 PM »
Received one of these in a mail today, it's a beautiful thing and I'm incredibly excited to have one, but it's giving me quite the scare. It's sticky. Is this plastic "meant" to be ever so slightly sticky? I can't imagine it is, but the plastic itself seems slightly different from the other AAA I own so I can't say for sure.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 11:42:30 PM »
Received one of these in a mail today, it's a beautiful thing and I'm incredibly excited to have one, but it's giving me quite the scare. It's sticky. Is this plastic "meant" to be ever so slightly sticky? I can't imagine it is, but the plastic itself seems slightly different from the other AAA I own so I can't say for sure.

Mine is not sticky. I wonder if yours was previously stored under conditions that caused it to start to break down or something?

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 12:44:53 AM »

Mine is not sticky. I wonder if yours was previously stored under conditions that caused it to start to break down or something?
It must have been. The seller didn't note this, and I paid an awful lot for it, so I suppose I shouldn't get to attached. :'(

It's a real shame, I'm absolutely in love with the piece, even for the price I paid, but not when it's so sticky that it's actually uncomfortable to hold in my hands.