News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Turtles

Started by stemturtle, December 08, 2012, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

It is a pleasure to begin a topic on turtles.  Some models by Morgan Reptile Replicas are shown here in response to  another thread.

Bog turtle, Glyptemys muhlenbergii, 3.5" carapace length 

Eastern box turtle, Terrepene carolina, 4.5" c.l.

Spotted turtle, Clemmys guttata, 4" c.l.

Wood turtle, Glyptemys insculpta, 3.25" c.l.

These four resin models were cast from specimens of species prized by herpetoculturists.
Of the four, only the Wood turtle is native to Minnesota.  They are quite rare. 
Seeing one in the field causes great excitement, then awe and wonder. 

We conclude with a larger model.

Snapping turtle, Chelydra serpentina,  5" c.l., total length 10.75"

This species, my new avatar, is not really a stem-turtle, but reminds me of Proganochelys.
As the song says, I am "torn between two lovers," paleontology and herpetology. 

The size of some models may have changed over the years. Other species are offered also: http://www.reptilereplicas.com/html/catalog.html

Jetoar

The Snapping Turttel still alive  8).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

They're lovely :) Did you pay to have these painted, or paint them yourself?

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

It's great to see some large photos of them. :) The Snapping Turtle is especially stunning! So these were already painted when you got them? The cast alone isn't all too expensive, if I read correctly the Snapping Turtle is $57.

Himmapaan

Oh, these are beautiful!

AnimalToyForum

They are stunning, the detail is exquisite.   :o

stemturtle

Thank you for your kind words, Jetoar, tyrantqueen, brontodocus, Himmapaan, and animaltoyforum.  It is wonderful to have the old gang here.  :) I did not paint the turtles. They were purchased already finished.  Kind of pricey now.

Brontodocus, your photos are amazing; professional quality.  $57 is correct for the unfinished snapper.  You would want to contact the seller to learn about international postage:
morganreptilerep @ rtelco.net.  You could ask about the price for glass eyes. You would need to dress down the foam bottom, maybe cover it with felt.  Good luck.

postsaurischian

Oh :D! I love the green background.

I'm a lurker :) I don't even have an avatar yet ... nice thread, BEAUTIFUL turtles :).
Here are the three from Kaiyodo's Natural Monuments of Japan series:

No.12  Cistoclemmys flavomarginata - Chinese Box Turtle

No.38  Caretta caretta - Loggerhead Sea Turtle

No.50  Geoemyda japonica - Ryukyu Black-breasted Leaf Turtle

Jetoar

stemturtle

Unbelievably realistic  figures from Kaiyodo's Natural Monuments of Japan Series, Postsaurichian.  Glad you joined us.

brontodocus

Yay, Helge has joined, too! :) Although I've seen them before, I'm really envious of your complete Natural Monuments of Japan set.

I have a few big ones from the Safari Ltd. / Incredible Creatures:

Trachemys scripta elegans (Wied-Neuwied, 1839); Red-eared Slider. Length of carapace 92 mm, scale approx. 1:2.2 - 1:3.5.

Apalone spinifera (Lesueur, 1827); Spiny Softshell Turtle. Length of carapace 118 mm, scale approx. 1:2 - 1:4.

Chelonia mydas (Linnaeus, 1758); Green Turtle. Length of carapace 155 mm, scale approx. 1:6 - 1:10.
Below: Baby, scale approx. 1:0.5 upward.

Lepidochelys kempii (Garman, 1880); Kemp's Ridley Sea Turtle. Length of carapace 119 mm, scale approx. 1:5 - 1:6.
Below: Baby, length of carapace 65 mm, scale approx. 1:0.5 upward.

Chelonoidis nigra (Quoy & Gaimard, 1824); Galápagos Tortoise. Length of carapace 150 mm, scale approx. 1:6 - 1:9. Human figure is approx. 1:7 - 1:8 scale.

And these by AAA, casts of real specimens:

Platysternon megacephalum Gray, 1831; Big-Headed Turtle. Wrongly stamped "Snapping Turtle", obviously cast from an original specimen. Carapace length 145 mm.

Eretmochelys imbricata (Linnaeus, 1766); Hawksbill Turtle (juvenile). Carapace length 345 mm. AAA also made an even larger Green Turtle, Chelonia mydas.

Jetoar

Sometimes I think that AAA made their figures based in taxydermy aniamls  ^-^

Varanus

Lovely turtle replicas everyone! :)

Himmapaan

I'm just envious of everyone and everything. Wah!  :'(

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Jetoar on December 09, 2012, 01:41:25 AM
Sometimes I think that AAA made their figures based in taxydermy aniamls  ^-^
Well sort of. They're taken from dead specimens which are put into molds. That's why they're often life sized and so realistic, because they were modelled from the best thing- real life itself.

Btw, Bronto, this video seems appropriate for your thread ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NscTj38iaHk

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 09, 2012, 12:56:19 PM
Btw, Bronto, this video seems appropriate for your thread ;D
Yup, that's me. But I was much younger back then and really needed the money! ;D Of course, stemturtle was the thread starter.

postsaurischian

Quote from: brontodocus on December 09, 2012, 12:53:59 AM
Yay, Helge has joined, too!

I guess I had to :).
The AAA Hawksbill Turtle is awesome :D!

Btw: Of course Alexis is rich enough to be the only person in the world being allowed to spend her private vacation on the Galapagos Islands ;D.

Quote from: stemturtle on December 09, 2012, 12:36:00 AM
Unbelievably realistic  figures from Kaiyodo's Natural Monuments of Japan Series, Postsaurichian.  Glad you joined us.

Glad to be here, too. Thanks :).

Quote from: Jetoar on December 08, 2012, 11:37:05 PM
I like Colorata  ^-^.

Those were Kaiyodos, these are Coloratas ^-^:

:D   Colorata 'Endangered Species' Sea Turtles box:

Lepidochelys kempii - Kemp's Ridley Sea Turtle

Natator depressus - Flatback Sea Turtle

Chelonia mydas - Green Sea Turtle

Chelonia agassizii - Black Sea Turtle

Eretmochelys imbricata - Hawksbill Sea Turtle

Lepidochelys olivacea - Olive Ridley Sea Turtle

Caretta caretta - Loggerhead Sea Turtle

Dermochelys coriacea - Leatherback Sea Turtle

brontodocus

*must have Colorata Sea Turtle Box* 8)

Jetoar

Sometimes I see Colorata and Kaiyodoo with the same eyes  ^-^.

Himmapaan

Quote from: brontodocus on December 09, 2012, 02:53:04 PM
*must have Colorata Sea Turtle Box* 8)

I've been longing for that box!