News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Figure manufacturer identification thread

Started by tyrantqueen, December 07, 2012, 01:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

If you have a figure and you don't know what company it was manufactured by, post a photo here and other members will try to help out.

I'll go first. My mum has a statue (that is allowed, right?) of a greyhound type animal, and she doesn't know who it is made by.

Any ideas? ;D

Edit by brontodocus 2016-11-30: Edited topic headline from "Figure identification thread" to Figure manufacturer identification thread" to avoid confusion with another thread.

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

AnimalToyForum

Statues are fine. Although it may be difficult to ID their makers. What does it say on the bottom? I can't quite make it out.

tyrantqueen

QuoteStatues are fine. Although it may be difficult to ID their makers. What does it say on the bottom? I can't quite make it out.
It says K584B62. I dunno what that means. Perhaps I should take another, clearer photo of the sticker?

little koala

Hi tyrantqueen,

I just joined up and was intrigued by this thread, which I think is a very good idea.

I had a look and think I've found it - it seems to be part of the "HHH" series by Harvey Knox (going by the three "H" on the label).

Hope that's useful!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: little koala on December 08, 2012, 01:10:18 PM
Hi tyrantqueen,

I just joined up and was intrigued by this thread, which I think is a very good idea.

I had a look and think I've found it - it seems to be part of the "HHH" series by Harvey Knox (going by the three "H" on the label).

Hope that's useful!
That helps a lot, thanks :)

Kikimalou

I have a "made in China turtle I can't identify (specie and brand ?)

AnimalToyForum

I really don't know about the turtle, but it is really rather nice. I'll repost a pic in the turtles thread to see if anyone there recognises it, just in case they overlooked this thread  :)

stemturtle

Quote from: Kikimalou on December 13, 2012, 08:09:36 AM
I have a "made in China turtle I can't identify (specie and brand ?)

Kikimalou, I do not own the turtle figure.  The carapace reminds me of a common map turtle, Graptemys geographica.  The vertebral scutes have a low keel and point backwards.  The snout is nonprotruding, a feature that the artist seems to have exaggerated.  No idea about the manufacturer.  The PV Yellow-blotched map turtle is the only Graptemys figure that I have.

AnimalToyForum

Any thoughts on the identity of this cheetah? I found it in a box of old toys at my parents' house. The only text listed reads "Made in Hong Kong". Is this what we may come to call a Chinanimal?

AnimalToyForum

I've had an idea. It strikes me that there are two types if identification requests in this thread - one for species identifications (e.g. "what species is this AAA figure?"), and the other for company/figure identifications (e.g. "who makes this figure?"). I think we could make a case for splitting these up into separate threads, so I will! 

The new species identification thread is here:
http://www.animaltoyforum.com/index.php/topic,205.0.html

I've also renamed the present thread the 'figure identification thread'.

O:-) C:-)

Jetoar

Do you know the brand of this figure? I bought this anteater two weeks ago in a flea market  ^-^.

I think is not bad figure and he need a repainted  ^-^.

tyrantqueen

Looks like AAA's style, but I could be wrong.

Ana

To me it looks like from Wild Republic, I checked it on the website of other collector, I believe it must be Wild Republic (also known as K&M)  :)
AAA anteater is also similar (especially colors) but has more natural looking face (here mouth open way too wide...) and different pose of tail.

sbell

Three important questions--is it hollow or solid? Rubber, PVC, vinyl, plastic? And what is the size?

I ask because it is unusual for K&M, even in their heyday, to use proper binomial names--same with AAA.

But I do know that there is a line of Cheapanimals out there (distributed by Galaxy in Canada, sometimes, but also others) that makes several sizes and labels them that way. They tend to be hollow, made of a thin material that almost feels like vinyl.

I've had beavers, squirrels, wolves (labelled Myer's Asparagus!?) civets and others from them. I may have even seen anteaters, but didn't buy them. The style is definitely similar.

Jetoar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 10, 2013, 05:17:19 PM
Looks like AAA's style, but I could be wrong.

No is AAA because Idont see the logo of this brand.
Quote from: Ana on January 10, 2013, 05:33:37 PM

To me it looks like from Wild Republic, I checked it on the website of other collector, I believe it must be Wild Republic (also known as K&M)  :)
AAA anteater is also similar (especially colors) but has more natural looking face (here mouth open way too wide...) and different pose of tail.

He is not K&M figure, In his belley we can read only "made in china" and "Myrmecophaga trydactila".

Quote from: sbell on January 10, 2013, 06:12:19 PM
Three important questions--is it hollow or solid? Rubber, PVC, vinyl, plastic? And what is the size?

I ask because it is unusual for K&M, even in their heyday, to use proper binomial names--same with AAA.

But I do know that there is a line of Cheapanimals out there (distributed by Galaxy in Canada, sometimes, but also others) that makes several sizes and labels them that way. They tend to be hollow, made of a thin material that almost feels like vinyl.

I've had beavers, squirrels, wolves (labelled Myer's Asparagus!?) civets and others from them. I may have even seen anteaters, but didn't buy them. The style is definitely similar.

He is made in pvc and he is in two parts and float in the water. I dont know Cheapanimals brand, Could you share images of this toys, please?

sbell

Cheapanimals isn't a brand--it's a short-hand for low-end, usually low price figures (like Chinasaurs or Cheaposaurs). They usually show up in bins or small bags in dollar and discount stores.

Given the two-part nature of the figure, and that it floats, I'm guessing that you have one from the same line as the one I mentioned. Being a random-made Chinese line (mine were packaged by Galaxy Toys), you probably won't find anything specific on them anywhere, and they likely show up in various sets at different times.

The ones I have are European beaver, Red-bellied tree squirrel, Maned wolf (the large one was labelled as Meyer's Asparagus...I know I keep mentioning it, but it is just so odd--it's why I bought it), and Indian Civet.

As you can see, there is some attempt at decent pain and sculpt, but not a lot.  There are also different sizes that are of the same animal but in different sculpts (and are not baby versions).

Jetoar

Thanks friend, I consider that this figure of ant eater, will be able to Cheapanimals figure. Thanks again for the images  ^-^.

tyrantqueen

QuoteLooks like AAA's style, but I could be wrong.

No is AAA because I dont see the logo of this brand.
AAA don't always trademark their models. I have a lizard made by them that does not have the AAA label on it, it is labelled as "made in china" but is clearly an AAA figure.

Jetoar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 11, 2013, 12:00:50 AM
QuoteLooks like AAA's style, but I could be wrong.

No is AAA because I dont see the logo of this brand.
AAA don't always trademark their models. I have a lizard made by them that does not have the AAA label on it, it is labelled as "made in china" but is clearly an AAA figure.

I dont know this information friend  ^-^. Thanks  ^-^!