News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Convergent Evolution: The Aardvark , Anteaters (and kin), and Pangolins

Started by brontodocus, December 28, 2012, 04:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

One of those figures you always planned to acquire and when you finally decide to buy it it's retired and already hard to find... :'( It really took me quite some time to find this one. But hey, here is the walk-around of the Wild Safari Wildlife Aardvark, Orycteropus afer (Pallas, 1766). Snout-vent length is approx. 89 mm and tail length 50 mm, so the scale would be around 1:11 to 1:14.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

The name of this creature in spain is anteater pig. The last summer, I saw one of this creature in a zoo. Is a rere animal. Cool figure, I like it  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Ana

Lovely one! :D  ;D I have only two Naoh's Pals aardvarks and one from another company (Marks I think) :)

BTW Name "aardvark" also is connected with pig somehow, it comes from two Dutch words: aard- earth and varken- pig :) 

brontodocus

Quote from: Ana on December 29, 2012, 09:39:52 AM
Lovely one! :D  ;D I have only two Naoh's Pals aardvarks and one from another company (Marks I think) :)

BTW Name "aardvark" also is connected with pig somehow, it comes from two Dutch words: aard- earth and varken- pig :)
From what I've seen the Noah's Pals aardvarks are very nice, too! :) Like many vernacular names of African animals, these are taken from Afrikaans (which is derived from Dutch), same is true for e.g. Gemsbok, Hartebeest, or Wildebeest.

Ana

Quote from: brontodocus on December 29, 2012, 09:48:16 AM

From what I've seen the Noah's Pals aardvarks are very nice, too! :) Like many vernacular names of African animals, these are taken from Afrikaans (which is derived from Dutch), same is true for e.g. Gemsbok, Hartebeest, or Wildebeest.

Yes, that's true :D Another example is Bontebok and Eland I think (Eland means Moose in Dutch, haha ). Afrikaans and Dutch are very, very similar, some say 90%-95% the same.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the retired Wild Safari Wildlife (Giant) Anteater with Baby, Myrmecophaga tridactyla Linnaeus, 1758. Length is approx. 160 mm with a snout-vent length of approx. 100 mm, so the scale is about 1:10 - 1:14.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Ana

One of my favorite Safari Ltd figures! So cute and wonderful ^-^

brontodocus

Yes, I think the same about it, I was so attracted by it a few years back that it had to become the first WS Wildlife figure I bought. :)

Battatitan

I also really like this figure  :D It's one of the few Safari Ltd figures I own, and when I heard it was being retired I bought one as soon as I could. I definetly haven't been disappointed! One of the features which makes this model really stand out is her protruding tongue.  :D

I took some dioramas of it and was going to post them here, but I can't find them.  :-[

brontodocus

Quote from: Battatitan on December 30, 2012, 03:44:27 PM
I took some dioramas of it and was going to post them here, but I can't find them.  :-[
Oh, I hope you can relocate and upload them, soon! I've just seen your dioramas you've posted and now I'm tempted to see how you displayed the anteater, of course. 8)

Jetoar

Very cool figure and good detail of her baby in her back  ^-^.

critter

This is a great figure! I wish I had it, but it was retired before I noticed it.

critter

I also only have the Noah's Pals. I just haven't been able to find the Safari Aardvark.  :'(

Great pictures! (very jealous.)  ;D

brontodocus

Quote from: critter on December 30, 2012, 10:50:01 PM
I also only have the Noah's Pals. I just haven't been able to find the Safari Aardvark.  :'(

Great pictures! (very jealous.)  ;D
Thanks, critter! :) My only way to get it was with ebay saved searches, after a few months this one popped up and it was BIN. :) I'm quite jealous in return about your Noah's Pals aardvarks, I'd be happy If I could find them somewhere (I only knew one source in Germany for Noah's Pals but they don't have them anymore :().

Jetoar

In Spain the name of this critter is ant eater bear "Oso hormiguero".

Takama

Here is the reissue for 2015

FYI this is the same sculpt from 2005

But it came with a new style tag

brontodocus

It's great to see that the Safari Ltd Aardvark has been rereleased! Good news for all of those who haven't got one, yet. :)

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on February 27, 2015, 01:34:28 PM
It's great to see that the Safari Ltd Aardvark has been rereleased! Good news for all of those who haven't got one, yet. :)

I think Safari has done a couple of reissues, although I can't remember the others. While it's great that it's available again, this wasn't exactly a great year for exciting or unique animal figures from them.

Quote from: Ana on December 29, 2012, 01:06:00 PM
Quote from: brontodocus on December 29, 2012, 09:48:16 AM

Yes, that's true :D Another example is Bontebok and Eland I think (Eland means Moose in Dutch, haha ). Afrikaans and Dutch are very, very similar, some say 90%-95% the same.

And can't forget the Strandloper. Or is that just one I would think of?

stargatedalek

Quote from: sbell on February 27, 2015, 02:02:39 PMI think Safari has done a couple of reissues, although I can't remember the others. While it's great that it's available again, this wasn't exactly a great year for exciting or unique animal figures from them.
I beg to differ, you don't see bass made very often (outside of novelty often low quality fishing themed toys). I agree its not as many as some years (nothing can compare to their crop last year!), but between the bass, grouper, nurse shark and shrimp I do feel that Safari has made quite a few relatively unique pieces this year. Then again I don't really pay attention to the mammals so perhaps there is often times more new than I'm realizing.

I'm curious, which paint app is it that appears more natural to everyone? Personally I think I prefer the original aardvark.

sbell

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 27, 2015, 03:18:30 PM
Quote from: sbell on February 27, 2015, 02:02:39 PMI think Safari has done a couple of reissues, although I can't remember the others. While it's great that it's available again, this wasn't exactly a great year for exciting or unique animal figures from them.
I beg to differ, you don't see bass made very often (outside of novelty often low quality fishing themed toys). I agree its not as many as some years (nothing can compare to their crop last year!), but between the bass, grouper, nurse shark and shrimp I do feel that Safari has made quite a few relatively unique pieces this year. Then again I don't really pay attention to the mammals so perhaps there is often times more new than I'm realizing.

I'm curious, which paint app is it that appears more natural to everyone? Personally I think I prefer the original aardvark.

I should have been more specific--I was referring specifically to the WS Wildlife (and NAW) lines. They did okay with the IC, Sealife & prehistoric lines. The less said about this year's toobs the better.

And I too prefer the original paint scheme.